Droid "Compass"

JPJLAUER

Reaction score
I checked the accuracy of the Droid Applications "Compass" and "GPS status" against a real compass. When my magnetic compass pointed south @ 180, both the applications indicated something more like 198.

I thought the GPS information would be more accurate. I re-calibrated as directed prior to the comparisons.

Is this normal?
Is there a way to improve the accuracy of the GPS compass?
OR
Do I simply need a new magnetic compass?

M

Matth3w

Might as well delete mine then, no point in having an inaccurate compass.

rjax

Reaction score
Is this because one compass is showing "true north" and the other is showing "magnetic north" ? I don't really know enough about the issue, and a quick Google search doesn't give me quite enough information, aside from the fact that the two norths can be pretty different.

See this link, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination

M

Matth3w

The are definitely different, and you even forgot a THIRD type of north - grid... but if they don't specifically tell you which is which you can't navigate on a map. Usually a regular compass is going to give you magnetic, so perhaps GPS gives you true or grid north.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do those apps use GPS or the eCompass (difficult to find info on the latter it seems)?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you do the comparison inside or outside? The electronic compass in the Droid is HIGHLY sensitive and will pick up even the slightest electric field and magnetic signatures (i.e. TV, cars ect.). Go outside completely away from anything and give it a try. Of course I'm willing to bet the compass app isn't really meant for detailed navigation either. That's what we have the GPS for:icon_ banana:

Edit: be sure to recalibrate the compass if you go outside and try the comparison again.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
What app is there for using GPS on foot?

There were a few I saw in the market. Haven't used any of them though. I know there is a trail app and a fitness course (tracking) apps.

Technically even Google Maps would get you were you need to go in the woods (I have done that while horseback riding just for fun). It won't route you of course but you can view the Map and see your heading/direction via the GPS so you can head in the right direction.

OP
J

JPJLAUER

Reaction score
Did you do the comparison inside or outside? The electronic compass in the Droid is HIGHLY sensitive and will pick up even the slightest electric field and magnetic signatures (i.e. TV, cars ect.). Go outside completely away from anything and give it a try. Of course I'm willing to bet the compass app isn't really meant for detailed navigation either. That's what we have the GPS for:icon_ banana:

Edit: be sure to recalibrate the compass if you go outside and try the comparison again.

After reading the comments I went back outside with both Droid and Magnetic compass. This time I went away from all metal (I had been trying to set up a DirecTv dish next to my motorhome) and all three (magnetic, GPS status, and Compass application) gave roughly the same findings. Based on that it appears the Droid GPS gives magnatic directions. I didn't realize the motorhome caused such distortion. I moved the DirecTv dish away from the motorhome as well. Now I'm comfortable aiming my dish with the GPS digital readout on the Droid.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
A while ago "GPS Status" showed East (or South East) no matter where I was or where I pointed the phone. I even went to a local Verizon store and installed the app on their two demo Droids. None matched exactly, but I realize the proximity of my phone to theirs might have thrown things off a bit. Even so, I had to do a reset before it worked again.