Droid Commercial?

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
So I've heard about how Motorola bought a superbowl commercial tomorrow. I was thinking what this might be about. Im hoping that it will release 2.1 or something awesome. It doesn't seem like Motorola would spend that much money on just a normal commercial.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My guess would be about their new Droid phone (the name escapes me at the moment). It's a slight step down from our Droids but probably cheap as well (I haven't yet seen any pricing info). Personally I don't care for how it looks but at least it's another phone to the platform.

Check out the news section, there is a thread on the new phone.

Ah, the Devour... here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-motorola-devour.html?highlight=verizon+boxes

OP
rebornlaxer

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
The devour seems like a step down from the droid. The ONLY thing i like about it is the keyboard but the whole design seems a little weird. The screen is small too. If I had to take a downgrade from my droid i would get an eris not a devour.

Lasher

Reaction score
Yea for the new Devour. [video=facebook;991347329860]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=991347329860[/video]. In the first shot, it shows the back of it on the table.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally like the Devour, I think its interesting looking.....different. And that keyboard looks nice, and I read an article that said it was supposed to be able to control your home computer network or something like that, out of the box

Not 100% sure what that means exactly

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
From the article linked to above:

"Motorola is now fifth in global market share, having missed the initial wave of 3G devices and smart phones. But the company has put an ambitious turnaround strategy in place, hoping to reposition itself as a maker of smart phones as it releases 20 such devices this year, with nearly all of them powered by Google's Android operating system."

:rofl3: WOW... from #2 to #5 in only 4 years... but really 20 devices this year?? that's a little much isn't it? I don't know how they think they are going to develop a strong user base and support for any one (or 2-3) devices by offer that... would seem that offering/releasing that many phones would be a HUGE waste of capital (considering the R&D investment involved). But then Moto hasn't really been known for making "smart" business decisions... this strikes me as a bit of desperation.

eliassami5

Reaction score
wow now im actually excited to watch the supper bowl. Not into football much but ill be on the lookout for the Motorola Commercial.

...hoping to reposition itself as a maker of smart phones as it releases 20 such devices this year, with nearly all of them powered by Google's Android operating system.

Since most of the phones will be running the Android OS then they have a common platform that they can just continually update. Its not like they have to have a team of developers each concentrating on one phone which would be wasting resources. Am i wrong?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
wow now im actually excited to watch the supper bowl. Not into football much but ill be on the lookout for the Motorola Commercial.

...hoping to reposition itself as a maker of smart phones as it releases 20 such devices this year, with nearly all of them powered by Google's Android operating system.
Since most of the phones will be running the Android OS then they have a common platform that they can just continually update. Its not like they have to have a team of developers each concentrating on one phone which would be wasting resources. Am i wrong?

Somewhat... actually the 'common platform' is nothing new... Even with the 'dumb phones' there was a common platform among similar devices so using Android really isn't 'saving' them anything. They are still spending a TON of money in R&D for hardware and support of each phone. In addition they are now spending huge amounts from having to market 20 separate devices. In addition by using Android the "updates" you speak of become a HUGE PIA (see the current state of 2.1 on their own support forms) and updates will have to be tested and designed for EACH phone individually (or at least per group) because of hardware differences. And that's not even taking into consideration the production costs of 20 devices (i.e. extra production lines, extra inventory ect.) So yes, 20 separate devices cost them a TON of money to produce, support and service.

They are overcompensating for their delay into the smartphone category and, IMHO this will cost them (though admittedly I'm not a fan of Moto and wouldn't mind if they disappeared). They are trying to catch up to other major competitors (mainly HTC for smartphones) and I don't think they will be able to. Luckily (for Motorola as a whole) they have huge resources via other revenue streams but I think we are seeing the death throes of their mobile-device sector.

Last edited:

cuskit

Reaction score
Luckily (for Motorola as a whole) they have huge resources via other revenue streams but I think we are seeing the death throes of their mobile-device sector.[/QUOTE]
Over 1.3 million Droids sold (that equates to better than a 1/2 billion $) in just over 3 months and you consider this a death throe? Ouch! If indeed the Devour will be featured during the SuperBowl I'd say it will do well. I personally like the keyboard aesthetics much nicer than my Droid, as well as it appears easier to use for King Kong fingers like those that hang out on the end of my hands... ;) mike

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score
is this the commercial? if so then its moto blur is obviously the main point

[video=youtube;ct5WpPcoXRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5WpPcoXRA[/video]

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, that is just a 'teaser' that started to circulate yesterday (and is already playing on TV). It ends with a "continued during the SuperBowl." Guess we'll have to wait and see...

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be for the new Motorola Backflip..