Droid Charging Question?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by gan6660, Jan 1, 2010.

1. gan6660

gan6660 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the Motorola Droid on Wensday and have a question about charging. I have the mini apple charger for the ipods/iphone and was wondering if I can use that to charge my droid so I dont have to carry around 2 chargers?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Does the charger light up when you plug it in? If it does then sure. I use the charger from my Blackberry Storm. I don't think I've ever used the Droids charger, no problems.

3. gan6660

gan6660 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [/quote]

Does the charger light up when you plug it in? If it does then sure. I use the charger from my Blackberry Storm. I don't think I've ever used the Droids charger, no problems.[/QUOTE]

I havent tried it yet I just wanted to make sure that it wont damage my phone. Thanks for your input.

4. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My bluetooth headset has the same connection as the droid, didn't plug my Droid into the headset charger as I didn't want to risk destroying the phone.

What I did do was plug the phone charger into the headset and it did not work, so I assume it won't work the other was around either.

My point being, maybe you could do the same sort of test with something of lesser value than your phone......

5. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know for sure. But I have seen many, many posts from people saying that their Droids went all kerflewy when the used chargers that were not branded for the Droid.

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    There have been a few post by some people who said while in the charger they had some difficulty texting. The Droid is not going to overload and go crazy on anyone, if you can put the end of the mini USB into the phone you will be fine.

Think about it, when you charge it off your computer your not using the same voltage and amps that you are using from the wall adapter. If you have a charger with a USB mini it should be fine with the Droid no reason to fan the fear flames.

7. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What about the people whose phones have randomly called and texted people with random chargers?

8. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the chargers have different outputs, make sure to compare before you start plugging things in.

9. keiichi25

keiichi25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well... Actually, all computers have a standard as to the amount of Volts and amps the USB port will put out. Wall chargers are generally referred to as rapid chargers because they use a slightly higher voltage and amp.

According to a posting, the charger that comes with the Droid is 850 mA. So long as the Amp charge is 850 mA or lower, it SHOULD be okay. Any higher, there might be an issue.

For those of you not familiar with electronics, Amps is what drives the voltage. While high Voltage is bad, higher current will definitely screw up things if it is too much for the system to handle. Some of the portable equipment will have issues if you have a charger that sends the wrong amount of current along with the voltage.

10. joshshua

joshshua New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, no, no, no, and no. You are giving people wrong information.

The phone will try to draw 850mA from a charger, regardless of the rating. If it tries to draw 850mA from a charger that is rated for 1000mA, it will only draw what it is rated to draw: 850mA. If it tries to draw 850mA from a charger that is rated for 500mA, it only draw 500mA.

Doing this will max out the charger and potentially lower its life. When you draw current at the limits of a power supply, the voltage will sag low. This is obviously bad.

11. dro

dro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would not do it, people have had some super weird problems with their Droids while/after using chargers for other phones. I don't recall specifically but it was something like the touch going crazy, screen jumping all over and what not. I would imagine it may also be detrimental to your battery if the output is not the same. And charging the Droid via anything USB is a no go, takes hoouuurrsss. Wall socket or 12v in the car is only way to go as far as I am concerned.

12. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No. Assuming the Droid properly implements the USB standard, it will draw no more than 100 mA from a normal USB port. That is the limit given by the USB specification. In order to draw more, it must communicate its desires with the USB device it's connected to - that's why installing a USB driver for the Droid on your computer is good, as it allows the Droid to negotiate for up to the full 500 mA of current allowed by USB.

Beyond that, there are chargers which use USB jacks, such as the one Motorola ships standard. These don't actually talk USB protocols, but use another method (a short between the D- and D+ pins, which are normally used for USB communications) to allow the phone to sense that it's OK to draw more than 100 mA of current. I don't know how much more current the phone will actually take advantage of, but the provided charger is rated at 850 mA. A third party USB charger may, or may not, short those; one can't assume that the phone will draw more than 100 mA. I have a USB charger from another manufacturer which uses a particular value of resistor to signal the device.

Search tags for this page
android charger voltage
can i charge my iphone with a motorola charger
charge droid iphone charger
charging droid with 24 volts
how many amps charge android
how many amps does droid bionic need to charge
how many volts and amps needed to charge an android phone
how many volts is 850ma
how many volts to charge droid

spn5504a specs