1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Charge or Bionic

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by DESERPENTOR, Apr 30, 2011.

1. DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR New Member

I have a have an upgrade available right now which would be the best phone? Anyone have a Droid Charge? Opinions? Does it have an extended battery?
  2. brockeverly

brockeverly New Member

I have not seen an extended battery for the Charge at my location, but I can tell you from what I have seen it doesn't need it (kept charge for a day and a half for me on various occasions). I was waiting for the Bionic as I am generally a Motorola guy, but ordered the Charge for my personal line. I am tired of waiting on Motorola to perfect the Tegra 2 and LTE problems. IMHO a dual core processor is beyond what is necessary for a phone with my usage, that is for my tablet.
  3. potterdood

potterdood New Member

I talked to a few of my friends from the VZW call center and they said they have people testing the Bionics there and that they're overheating bc of the dual core and it's still being worked on, and they keep getting pushed back, the Charge is an awesome phone, I was a little weary of getting a Samsung after not liking the Fascinate other than the screen, but Samsung has outdone themselves with the Charge!
  4. Joeteck

Joeteck New Member

+1

I have to agree. My buddy just switched from ATT to verizon and he could not be happier with the charge. The battery life is insane!! 12 hours talk time 280 hours standby? You kidding me?? Super AMOLED screen that has 12 bits per vs 8 bits... I happen to really like the samsung. 2 gig internal and comes with a 32gig SD card...Aside from the supposedly encrypted boot loader, I may be done with rooted phones.... Motorola failing with the droid does make me confident that the tegra will be better... Phones with dual cores just seems to overkill... These single core phones have been getting much more efficient and dual core not needed.. I;m not going to be encoding a video while surfing the web....The 1Ghz ARM is plenty fast and smooth... I'm done waiting around for moto's new baby...
  5. ajb3985

ajb3985 New Member

I couldnt agree more. I upgraded to a charge from a droid x. Loved the x, but this phone does laps around it. I was even rooted n.romed. The screen, battery and just the ui is amazing. I was weary at first because the fascinate was a disaster in my opinion, but they made a great phone in the charge. Lte n a front facing camera. Couldnt ask for much more right now

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  6. Scruffy

Scruffy New Member

I decided to jump ship from my BB 9700 Bold on AT&T to a Charge on VZW. Should be getting it tomorrow.

I was curious about the Bionic but do not want to wait ______ until it is finally out.

Hopefully it won't be disappointing. :icon_ banana:dancedroid
  7. dirtleg

dirtleg New Member

How are you guys getting a day and a half on a full charge!!?? I last MAYBE 8-10 hours with my Charge. Email hourly, screen set on 30 sec timeout(but I turn it off immediately anyways) and lowest brightness setting. There has to be some setting that I'm not aware of?! What is your "screen on" time during those days??
  8. jeremycnly

jeremycnly New Member

If I were u I would wait on the bionic.. the charge is an ok phone but the bionic will run laps around it... also for those saying single core is fine for todays phone... ok for today yea its satisfactory, but towards the end of the year when apps start to take advantage of multiple cores you will really see the difference. The question is do u want to future proof your phone or run on todays standard?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  9. Joeteck

Joeteck New Member

That is an assumption. You are guessing at the moment. You have absolutely no idea if it will. Currently the Bionic / Tegra will still use the outdated qHD LCD display. (The one that uses a back light) and uses more power to run. The AMOLED displays don't use a backlight, hence uses MUCH less power to operate.. A phone with dual core's is going to use twice as much energy no matter how you slice it... There is really no need for a dual core CPU for a phone... I'm too disappointed with Motorola, and Samsung has got it right for a change... Great great phone. My buddy did a speed test report on 4LTE this morning.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/54188118.png

Test Date: May 18, 2011 8:39:53 am
    Connection Type: Lte
    Server: New York, NY
    Download: 14.88 Mbps
    Upload: 4.50 Mbps
    Ping: 107 ms

Most people do not even get that at the house... Just insane! He also mentioned he gets over 8 hours of continues use and blows away the iphone. He is glad he switched!
  10. jeremycnly

jeremycnly New Member

Well man your wrong about dual core using twice as much energy as a single, in fact dual core is less power hungry then single core, Google it. I prefer the charge over thunderbolt but the bionic is way more powerful then both. Question is if u want 4g or not.

11. Joeteck

Joeteck New Member

If you have Googled it already provide us with factual links please.. Saying it does not mean it does...

DROID DOES
    Just impressive!

And you say way more powerful... Remember, its a phone folks.. How much more powerful do you need to make calls, check e-mail or browse the internet?? Apparently the dual core hype has sucked you in... I'm not hating the Tegra, but if its a dual core and 3g, its not in my sites at all...
  12. Droid101

Droid101 Member

I feel it is kind of if you want to wait they are both great devices. If you arnt willing to wait till (worst case) end of the year Nov-Dec. then go for the charge.
  13. Joeteck

Joeteck New Member

What? Its been pushed back to Nov/ Dec?? Oh, lord! :rofl3:

The Bionic will be using a Cortex A9 Dual core 1Ghz cpu...
    http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a9.php

The Charge uses a Cortex A8 1Ghz single core
    http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a8.php

From the looks of it, the A9 uses more power... .5 watts @ 800Mhz and the A8 uses .3 watts at 1ghz...

Hmm....I'm right!
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  14. Droid101

Droid101 Member

No no one really knows all thats certain is sometime in the late summer moto has said but with the track record it has had it wouldn't surprise me:icon_eek:
  15. jeremycnly

jeremycnly New Member

Well here's the link:
    www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21500-tegra-2-needs-less-power-then-the-original-tegra
    Proves at least tegra 2 is more efficient then tegra 1

Your argument about "its just a phone" is contradicting. I'm guessing u have a droid charge, if u wanted just a phone u would not own a charge with 4G, 1ghz processor, a 4"+ screen and a ff camera. Maybe all u do is browse the internet and that's fine, but I prefer hardware specs over how fast I can download an app. To me 4g is useless with the storage cap on your phone, I'm guessing the cap on the charge is 32gb not included the other 8 internal... that's only 3 and a half full hd movies u can hold on your phone... it all depends on what the essentials of the individual. Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  16. jeremycnly

jeremycnly New Member

Bionic is not using ARM9 its using Tegra2.

17. Joeteck

Joeteck New Member

No I do not have a Samsung Charge...Yet.

Why would you watch full sized movies on your phone, and fill it up? Convert them to MP4 and save space and still get great quality. 720 x 480 is dvd quality, and we watch that on a TV's 19" and up, and it looks pretty good. Imagine on a 4.3" display..? However, I watch movies on my single core 550Mhz CPU without a problem... So a dual core is pointless... You are only doing one thing at a time anyway...Just seems silly to have an extra core that will use power and probably stay idle most of the time... Especially if the darn Android OS can't support it.... Needs to be Android 2.4 to support dual core BTW!
  18. johnvicencio

johnvicencio New Member

19. jeremycnly

jeremycnly New Member

Ok so what's the point of upgrading to an HD screen if ur gonna watch standard definition quality videos on it? (Assuming one of ur upgrading points is for movies) now that's pointless. Btw gingerbread supports dual core, somewhat. But ice cream should have it integrated by summer, still don't understand youre prejudice towards dual core....

20. elucid

elucid New Member

I originally wanted a droid bionic, but decided I really want the charge (and bought it today). The display is *unbelievable* and LTE is super fast (my area has great LTE coverage). The speed is just fine (I'm upgrading from an original droid with 2.3 overclocked anywhere from 800mhz to 1.25 ghz). The charge is much smoother and faster.

Once I saw the screen and played with it so I could see the speed: I knew I wanted one. Who knows what the battery life will be like on the bionic (and when will it come out)? Yes, the charge is pricey, but what I'm paying for is the super-amoled plus, good battery life, and LTE. Very impressed so far.
Search tags for this page
bionic 2 vs samsung charge

droid bionic vs charge

droid bionic vs droid charge speed test
motorola droid bionic vs samsung droid charge
samsung droid charge vs motorola droid bionic