Droid Charge now or wait for 4G iPhone?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Nibbz, May 28, 2011.

1. Nibbz

Nibbz New Member

So I currently have an original MotoDroid. I have to tell you, the device disappointed me very much when I got it and its been a year since I upgraded to it and I can't help but think it's completely obsolete. Its buggy, slow, laggy, and overall just not a reliable heavy usage smartphone.

Let's not get fanboyish guys, I made my decision to get the first 4G LTE iPhone months ago and its still on my to do list. Unless the Droid Charge is such a great device that it changes my mind about android, I will not be staying with android come a years time.

Now with the Droid Charge being free with a new contract on amazon on memorial day, I am extremely tempted to get it to replace my og Droid. Would you suggest going for it, or just waiting for a LTE iPhone like I had planned? Suggestions/reasons will be greatly appreciate.
  2. lockman

lockman New Member

I'd get the charge, simply because it's free and the 4G iphone could still be a year out.

Sent from my brain using my fingers.
  3. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

I'd get the LG revolution. I've been looking at all of VZW's 4G offerings and Think the Revo is better than either the TB or Charge.
  4. acles003

acles003 New Member

Based on?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Damn putting down the og Droid. First off the og Droid is a beast of a phone. You obviously are not rooted otherwise you would not have made those accusations about the Droid.

What you should do is root your Droid, install Chevy SS 5.3, and wait for the iPhone since that's what you really want. No point in signing a 2 year contract with an OS you don't like.

Where do you live? Are you certain 4g coverage is in your area?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. metalspring

metalspring New Member

If you wanna wait a year for a Verizon 4g iPhone, you might as well get the new "super" android phone they are supposed to be coming out with then, 4g obviously most likely gingerbread OS, dual core 1Ghz, and supposedly massive internal storage too, 10mp camera and a front facing camera too and those are just the estimated specs, it might end up being even better than that

Sent from my Droid
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

If you're waiting till next year for a 4g phone anyway Verizon says the 4g network will be everywhere by then...btw double thumbs up on the Chevy SS 5.3 rom suggestion, 5.4 is supposed to be out soon though

Sent from my Droid
  8. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Oh and a very very easy way to root a Droid if you haven't already is going onto www.4shared.com and searching for z4root .apk (leave the space in to account for slightly different file names and version numbers)

Sent from my Droid
  9. Raptor007

Raptor007 Member

Honestly the iPhone won't get 4G LTE until IP6 in 2012 or early 2013, Apple does not hop onto new technology and we know the first two iphones were edge only. I had the TB, too many issues, actually just returned the LG Revo yesterday. I got it on launch day, and I will say it is a nice phone. Good weight, screen is good and the optimus ui isn't as crappy as other say (of course UI is a personal thing.

The Revolution was responsive, has the exact same processor the ThunderBolt has, same amount of RAM the Charge as but I didn't like two things. First they do give you 16GB of internal storage (and a 16GB microSD card) but they went and split the internal storage into two parts. You only get 1.7GB of app/phone storage and the balance 12GB+ is a "internal SD card" storage. I would have kept it had they left the 14GB as one solid storage space like the OG DroidX.

I did have an issue with the screen having dead pixels, which I have honestly not had happen in 10 years of smartphone use (I go all the way back to the Samsung I700 oin Verizon and beyond).

The other thing that concerned me was developer support. For some this won't be an issue, for me it was. I don't run stock I like custom and honestly I rely on the developer communities creativity to offer up that customized world. The LG Revolution has been rooted, but XDA-Developers has no plans to add an LG Revolution forum section and that really is a key place to find devs to support.

Fortunately I am starting to see developer support for the Droid Charge in fact developer (kejar31) who created the Liberty ROM on the DX and Tesla Coil on the ThunderBolt has jumped over to the Charge so I do look froward to some great custom work.

Regardless I think you would be happy with either the Revolution or the Charge, equally.
  10. AstroBoy

AstroBoy New Member

Same Processor as the TB, Screen almost as good as the Charge and better than the TB. Unlocked bootloader,

Fast UI that is almost stock.
  11. Underscore_Hero

Underscore_Hero New Member

Does OP know the Charge is a 4g phone?

If you root the OG Droid, it can be just as quick as the newest single core phones (running stock clocks of course), the Charge only has a 1ghz processor, not sure if someone has OC'd it yet.

The top phones out "NOW" would be the:
    Samsung Droid Charge 4G
    Motorola Droid X-2 3G
    Motorola Droid Incredible 2 3G
    LG Revolution 4G
    Samsung Fascinate 3G
    Motorola Bionic 4G (hopefully this summer)

On personal preference, I'd go Motorola or Samsung, this is LG's first "high-end" phone, they don't have the quality of the others. So far they've been making budget smartphones, but maybe the Revo will change that.
  12. ai3rocks57

ai3rocks57 New Member

Just because it has the same clock speed doesn't mean it gets the same performance as a new CPU.

I still have my OG Droid and I'm starting to hate it. I have it overclocked to 1Ghz and running GPA15. I use GoLauncher and I don't use task killers. But this thing is starting to drag. It freezes on me daily and my contacts app is completely useless now (numbers won't show up). Apps force close frequently and it random reboots every now and then. My beloved OG is starting to show its age.
  13. Underscore_Hero

Underscore_Hero New Member

My bad, of course performance is gonna be way better in a newer phone, but it also depends on what you do with it. Games aren't the best on the OG Droid, but normal web/calls/social media, it works good for now.

Try Liquid, his roms are pretty quick and stable, at least 1.8 is....not 100% stock like GPA, but it's close. I feel the age as well, but unless I pay retail, I have to wait like everybody. I'm waiting on the Bionic, since I'm upgrading, I might as well add another core :p