Droid Charge Benchmark

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Ned, May 16, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know quadrant is not the best benchmark out there but it is a standard that I have used on the phones I own.

I was just at the local VZW store and was shocked to see the Charge come in at 998 the first run and 1009 the second run. I can get over 1000 with my D1 overclocked to just 900Mhz.

Does the TouchWiz overlay really cause that much of a system strain?

Other than performance I really liked the phone. Display was sharp and the formfactor is sleek.

I am on the upgrade "hump" right now. I will keep my D1 until either it does not do something that I need/want it to do or VZW starts tiered 4G data plans.

2. grinchy

grinchy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    holding out for bionic :)

3. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You will get much higher quadrant's once the devs get ahold of one. A more fair comparison would be your OG Droid bone stock vs Charge.

4. pedromartinez

pedromartinez Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a 950 in the store after killing all the apps on the Charge. My stock Incredible 1 gets that score. I don't think it is worth $300.00 unless you really need 4G now. In that case it's perfect.

5. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't let something as trival as quadrant/linpack (two programs that can be tweaked easily to give false scores) deter you from getting the phone if you like it. The question is will it do what YOU need it to do? I got the charge today after getting ****ty TB replacement after TB replacement, and I must say I am quite pleased. TBH I'm not gonna worry myself about single core dual core cpu on phones till another year or two when it definately will become standard. Everything on my charge works great, I'm not a huge fan of the plastic build, and theres like a small chip/bump on the bottom which im not going to bother with seeing my first charge had a big dent on side on the silver bezel. Not sure if its a standard thing just cause of the plastic build. But all in all it's a pretty solid phone. :icon_ banana:dancedroid

6. czm2000

czm2000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No dent on mine.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

7. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The one I have now is like a tiny bump on there near the the slot where you can remove the backplate. Since it's barely noticeable I'm not going to bother switching it out, I don't want risk getting a defective phone, or one that has dust/debris stuck under the screen.

8. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Can someone tell me how much available memory there is on the Charge? When you long press home and go to task manager then ram management...what is the max?

Sent from my fascinate

9. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Member

Ratings:
    +0

328 MB of RAM, with 200 + free.

10. GDP

GDP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's basically the same internal hardware as the Fascinate, which is perfectly capable of doing anything you need it to do. Buying a phone based on quadrant score is kind of silly. It is a valid concern that this phone has only 328 MB of RAM though. That seems a bit low

11. Zetsumei

Zetsumei Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with that completely, but who knows if more can be freed up once there's a bloat remove rom.

12. Stelv

Stelv Silver Member

Ratings:
    +8
    My Fascinate only has about 100mbs or less free'd up out of the total 328 at all times. The fact that 200mbs is free'd up may be a good sign. What is everyone else getting?

Available Ram cannot be changed with root I believe. As it is unchangeable on my Fascinate with root, even after all the bloat is removed.

13. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The real issue is Samsung's inability to make their software take full advantage of hardware under the hood. They definitely are focusing too much on the visual effects and not enough on the performance aspect. One could easily argue that HTC is focusing too much on the performance aspect and not enough on the battery life, but that a trade off that I'm willing to live with. My Thunderbolt puts up 1800+ consistently not to brag, but as I already stated the trade off is battery life.

So the real question to you guys that are disappointed with the Droid Charge Benchmark scores, can you live with it? Then don't even sweat the benchmark score as it's just a number. We know that the phone looks very attractive, but I'm curious to know how the phone performs under normal circumstances.

14. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    ^ Yea...the issue with the Charge and basically the Galaxy S 1 line from last year is Samsung went with a different file system than any other phone manufacture for their current phones last year.

Out the box, the Charge is not gonna put up good benchmark scores. And in this case it really does translate to real world use because of the file system.

The different file system is one reason why the GS2 will be an amazing phone out the box.

15. AstroBoy

AstroBoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    New to Android, and the Charge is on my short list of replacements for my BB Storm II. Can you explain the file system difference and why it is such an issue?