Droid Car Mount

kraxyk

Reaction score
Hello, I have some questions before I shell out money for this thing. First as much as it looks nice, there is no way to put the phone in there if it has a case on? That doesn't sound to good. I would have to snap it on and off every time. Maybe there is a mount mod to allow for the case? Also it doesn't have a camera hole. This can be fixed with a drill. But what about the possibility of using the droidx mount?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Read somewhere in a review that it does not accommodate a Droid with a case. And someone mentioned in an eBay ad for the thing that they drilled a hole for the camera. Would a generic clamp on windshield mount work for you?

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score
Read somewhere in a review that it does not accommodate a Droid with a case. And someone mentioned in an eBay ad for the thing that they drilled a hole for the camera. Would a generic clamp on windshield mount work for you?

If it can securely hold the phone. Where could I get that?

Doc Hollandaise

Reaction score
I have both a Droid specific mount and a generic cell phone mount (has the clamping sides)

The Droid mount will not work with a case; it does work with the Zagg and other thin plastic type full body protectors. The clamp on one works with anything but is not as sturdy.

OP
K

kraxyk

Reaction score
I have both a Droid specific mount and a generic cell phone mount (has the clamping sides)

The Droid mount will not work with a case; it does work with the Zagg and other thin plastic type full body protectors. The clamp on one works with anything but is not as sturdy.

My case is the one made by motorola I believe. It is the case/holster combo.

RoNYC

Reaction score
Proclipusa and kudausa makes nice kits for any device and its vehicle specific. Kinda pricey though.

Doyer

Reaction score

If it can securely hold the phone. Where could I get that?

Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid 2, Droid X, and HTC Droid Incredible

[video=youtube;bNiCyvg78W4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNiCyvg78W4]YouTube - Dashboard Mount for Samsung Galaxy S, Apple iPhone 4, Motorola Droid X | Arkon SM412[/video]

Here's DroidDog's review: Review: Arkon’s Mega Grip car docks | DroidDog Android Blog

YoungVan

Reaction score
With two dirt-cheap parts and some glue, you can cobble together a rock-solid dashboard mount that's custom-fitted to your phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
First as much as it looks nice, there is no way to put the phone in there if it has a case on?
That's true of just about any mount out there except for mounts specifically designed to work with certain cases. Your alternative is to try a generic adjustable mount if you're set on using a specific case that isn't specifically designed to work with a specific mount.

Lenagainster

Reaction score

bigdog2004

Reaction score
Hey
the car mount from droid has a insert in it you can remove it and the phone should fit without taking it out of the cover

qwank

Reaction score
i got a droid 2 last night and got the shell case, home dock and car dock. both docks have inserts in them that you can remove so they both work with a case

fastpat

Reaction score
Came across a company via Amazon that sells just the phone holder part (as a replacement part for the original setup) if you want to mount the phone to some existing structure in or around the dash. I'd like to do that, but it gets pricey, $9.99 for the part and almost $4 shipping.
Amazon.com: Motorola SJHN0191A Droid A855 Replacement Phone Holder Holster for use with Vehicle…
Interesting, it looks like the two separate pieces may be cheaper than ordering the whole deal from Verizon, unless prices have come down.

Now, what I need is the holder part for the Droid Two, because it clears the extended battery by design.

cavaliercarey

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part #'s for the OEM mounts that have the inserts? When I look at Amazon's Moto OEM car and desk mounts I can't see they have inserts. Thanks!