Droid camera review - WIN

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by ThermalGuy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ThermalGuy

ThermalGuy New Member

2. xxjdmcivicek9xx

xxjdmcivicek9xx New Member

thats a great review!!
  3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Nice! Go Droid!!
  4. soyboy

soyboy New Member

I agree, I think the photos from my Droid are fine for a cell phone camera. I don't expect the same exposure as I would get from one of my Canons. But they are prefectly fine.
  5. Johnly

Johnly Guest

For a camera of 5 freaking mega pixels compared to the other 3.** mega pixel cameras, the droid should stand out a bit more. I think the droid takes OK cell phone pictures, but I hope they actually give us some better camera software. It's OK though. It is just a cell phone camera, but ours has a moving lens! WTF!!!!!
  6. romangreen23

romangreen23 New Member

Moto Droid for the win!!!
  7. natty_lite

natty_lite New Member

Mega pixels have nothing to do with picture quality, only resolution.
  8. Guchi

Guchi New Member

i dont even know if its the best on some of those shots... :(
  9. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Agreed. However, many of the complaints about the camera can be fixed with better software as evidenced by people using some of the 3rd party camera apps. That's part of what I like about Android, if you don't like the stock app, there's a good possibility someone else has written something better.
  10. crownroyal

crownroyal New Member

mine are fine unless there is any movemet at all then they suck...but again, it is a camera phone so...
  11. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Brilliant Sherlock, but that DOES tie into picture resolution, which has a DIRECT effect on quality. Are you real? J/K
  12. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Good honest eye, the droid advantage is that it can post larger pictures because of the 5.0 mega pixels "2560 by 1920" or "8 by 10". The droid wins on that alone, something that article doesn't explain. A 3.0 mega pixel camera is capable of "2048 by 1536" or a "5 by 7" picture. If all the pictures were blown up to the native resolution of the droid, the winner would be the droid by a mile. But people sometimes forget we consumers are more aware than they give us credit.
  13. natty_lite

natty_lite New Member

I don't understand why you felt like it should "stand out more" if it was so obvious that MP have little to do with picture quality.
  14. gutternights

gutternights New Member

i don't necessarily agree with this review. in comparison to some of the other photos, the droid's colors look pale and a little washed out. in the review, they seem to like this and believe the other photos' contrast isn't as good. that's strange to me. one thing they got right was the droid does usually have better sharpness. the color and contrast usually needs editing, though.

don't get me wrong, it's a good review for the simple fact for the attention of detail they gave with all of the photos. their selection of the 'best' photo however, is a little off in in some of the tests. i'm looking at some of the other photos and thinking, "they liked the droid's better?" maybe i just like my pictures to look a little different.
  15. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Pixels are the little individual squares that make up a digital photo--each with its own color and brightness. A megapixel is equal to one million pixels. The more pixels there are in a square inch, the higher the resolution of the photo. A 1 MP camera is capable of a maximum of one million pixels per square inch. A 2MP camera can capture two million pixels per square inch... and so on.

The size of the photo you can print is most closely related to the MP setting on your camera. (Some cameras refer to the megapixel setting as "resolution.") The more megapixels you capture when you shoot a picture, the bigger the print you can make without getting that "blocky" look.
    [​IMG]
    It's a good idea to have your camera set at a much higher MP setting than you think you need. For instance, even if you are a person who always prints 4" x 6" photos, you might shoot a picture with a detail you especially love. If your camera is set for more than the minimum number of megapixels necessary for a 4" x 6", you can crop and enlarge the photo to make a new photo of the detail without noticing any loss of quality in your print.
    [​IMG]
    Does that teach you a little bit buddy?

Understanding picture quality settings
    Pixel is shorthand for "picture element." It is the smallest part of a digital camera's sensor. The word "mega" means "million." So megapixel means the picture is made up of one million pixels, or picture elements.

The size of a digital camera's sensor, the part that records the image, is expressed in megapixels. The greater the number of megapixels, the more information this sensor can capture and the more an image can be enlarged.

Bottom line, The more MP's the more information the camera can capture. That directly affects quality. If you are the type that thinks a thumbnail and a movie theater screen sized picture are the same quality, then that explains the naivety.

Do some research before hand, then making statements like "mega-pixels have nothing do do with quality" won't slip out he he....j/k But do research the subject...I got the information that I posted from Kodak and HP.

:icon_ banana:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  16. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

honestly, its reassuring to know the droid 'won', but in most of those the env touch and imagio easily looked better, i dont see how the droid won that
  17. Johnly

Johnly Guest

They cropped, re sized, and they put 3.2 in with 5.0 mega pixels. The review was armature for sure. A real review would leave the 3.2 at home, avoid cropping and resizing the pictures. leaving them in there natural state. Then they would list the settings, I mean everything, right next to the photo. That I think would be better...but I am just a humanoid, what do I know...
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  18. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak New Member

I agree , my old LG VX8700 would take far better pictures than the Driod does and it was 3.2mp , even this article or review does not sway me into thinking the Droid does good quality pictures .
    True , mega-pixels are just part of the factor but the imaging processing chip is not the greatest in the Driod .
    If you use "white balance>Cloudy" it works great and has good detail and color saturation .
  19. shpen

shpen New Member

To me, it seemed that the Rogue had the best shots. I know that it didn't have the highest resolution, but one thing that really bugs me about the Droid camera is that there is a lot of ISO grain. The Rogue's photos didn't seemed plagued by this, and they came out crisp in most cases.

Also, I think 3 megapixels is enough for almost anyone.
  20. skrump

skrump New Member

Although it is fairly impressive that you can regurgitate information you stumbled across, do you have any real photography background?

The quote above is the basis of your argument, and it's where you're completely inaccurate.

"The size of a digital camera's sensor, the part that records the image, is expressed in megapixels."

Umm, No it's not. The size of the image that the sensor captures is measured in megapixels, not the size of the sensor. Perhaps you've heard of the APS-C sensor format? Probably not. It's a standard size of sensor used commonly in the entry level DSLR class. Ever wonder why one camera with an APS-C CMOS sensor would only produce a 12 megapixel image (Sony Alpha A500) while another camera, with that same sized APS-C CMOS class of sensor (Canon EOS 50D)would produce a 15 megapixel image? It's because of a thing called pixel density. Obviously, the physical size of a cell phone camera sensor has to be very small to fit into the case of the phone itself. In order to cram 5 megapixel's worth of pixels onto that tiny sensor, the manufacturer has to more densely pack each individual pixel. The smaller and more packed in the individual pixels are, the less light that reaches each one of them. This quickly begins to degrade image quality. As the pixel density rises, colors wash out and noise increases. These are all fairly basic concepts, if you'd like to read up more about them check out these links:

Sensor Sizes: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Pixel Density: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Maybe if you "Do some research before hand", instead of skimming the sales brochures of Kodak and HP (HP?!?!), you won't come off sounding like a pompous jackass.
Search tags for this page
droid x camera digital sensor size

motorola droid x camera sensor