Droid Camera, 3 megapixel better than 5?

Jvexx

Reaction score
I was experimenting with the Droid camera a bit lately and tested several of the exact same shots, 2 using the 3MP setting, and 2 using the 5MP. Is it just me or do pictures come out clearer using the 3MP setting? Anyone experience this?

lschmitt

Reaction score
I was experimenting with the Droid camera a bit lately and tested several of the exact same shots, 2 using the 3MP setting, and 2 using the 5MP. Is it just me or do pictures come out clearer using the 3MP setting? Anyone experience this?
I haven't tried the 3mp setting yet. I do know that the 3.2mp camera on my storm took better pics then on my droid. More megapixels isn't always a good thing, so I've heard. Hopefully the update were suppose to get next month will improve the photo quality of the droids camera. Some of the pics that I've taken have turned out great but its to inconsistant to be honest.

lschmitt

Reaction score
I haven't tried the 3mp setting yet. I do know that the 3.2mp camera on my storm took better pics then on my droid. More megapixels isn't always a good thing, so I've heard. Hopefully the update were suppose to get next month will improve the photo quality of the droids camera. Some of the pics that I've taken have turned out great but its to inconsistant to be honest.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I tried both super fine and fine... on the Driod screen the look the same (BTW, indoor picture with flash). Both look pretty bad IMHO, but my standard is a digital SLR :)

Ill try it again sometime outdoors, and upload them to PC and see how they look

jc

atlharry

Reaction score
it may also be the way that your picture viewing application on the computer is scaling the pics due to the difference in size.

richie1378

Reaction score
In my opinion, 5 looks a little better than the 3. For quick shots though, I think I'll use the 3Meg because it saves faster to the card and you're ready for the next shot.

valnar

Reaction score
Considering the size of the lens (physics + lens + light = reality), I doubt the camera can resolve all 5Mp anyway. Yes, the picture will be bigger because of the pixel count (duh), but that doesn't mean it resolved any more detail.

I use 3Mp.

Last edited: