Droid call quality

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jamjr74, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ok so I have been told I sound like I am in a tin can or on a crappy bluetooth when I am using my phone. It is only 3 days old! I shut off the voice privacy in call settings and was told it does sound a lot better but not sure if i should just get a new phone. Also I bought from an online site and not directly from Verizon, do you think if I go to a Verizon store they will replace phone since it is under warranty? Or will I have to deal with the online site? Any tricks on improving this call quality myself through settings? Thanks
  2. crspang

crspang New Member

The Droid uses noise cancellation software. Its been reported by some that their case disrupted the noise cancelling. But I think the real key is to make the mic is close as close as possible when speaking.

If you're not speaking close or clearly into the mic the software assumes that your voice is background noise and tries to cancel it out which results in you sounding muffled.
  3. Milehighjc

Milehighjc New Member

Try switching to speakerphone, then back again. That seems to work for me about 80% of the time. I have NO idea why it works, but found that trick here, and has been successful for me.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

you can also try this on your phone dial ##program, press green phone button/pw is 000000/select option 4 and then EVRC-B. This is suppose to work in most areas. It doesn't in mine, so give it a try and see if it works in your area.
  5. griswolds53

griswolds53 New Member

i had the same problem as you. same exact complaints. I have had my droid for 2 months almost now. I recieved mine, via fedex, bought online. I returned it the store within the first week and they gave me a brand new one. The verizon guy told me that i was allowed one NEW exchange for problem phones. The new one works like a charm, and i love it. I recieved a launch phone, in a smaller box, than the newer droids. He mentioned that the launch droids had some issues. If you do a battery pull there are some numbers that indicate a manufacter date. Cross reference those with posts on here. You can find out which batches were bad.

or you could just return the phone and get a new one. It fixed my issues!
  6. Red Tornado

Red Tornado New Member

For what it's worth, I looked at the microphone on the droid, looked in the mirror, and made sure I am holding the phone with the microphone directly pointing towards my mouth - improved call quality for those listening to me.
  7. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

You hit the nail right on the head. My Droid did come in a very small box barely big enough to fit the phone. I am having trouble locating the launch date though. Under the battery the only thing I see close is 10/10??? I do not see any numbers similiar to what other posters are putting up. I am going to try and exchange at the verizon store but I bought from letstalk.com so I am not sure if they will help me. They should since the 12 month Motorola warranty should cover it. If not I willreplace through letstalk.com. Thanks
  8. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

I notice the sticker on my box says 3/14/10? I ordered on 3/30/10....
  9. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

OK well my call quality seems a little better but now i am paranoid! haha. I just ordered my replacement phone. Hopefully it is better or I may be saying bye to the Droid!
  10. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Some say droid call volume needs to be turned down because of a "mechanical vibration". Rebooting at least every 3 days works for me. Bluetooth and speakerphone are workarounds. Maybe 2.1 helped? This is ridiculous.
  11. griswolds53

griswolds53 New Member

I really cant remember what the numbers were??...i think the ones i read about were 38/09 or something like that. I really dont want to pull my battery to see what i have. My phone is working great now, dont want to mess with it! I know it was in the 30's...
    good luck!
  12. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

ok so i look under my battery to see the version # and the only numbers I find with a / are 10/10??? This is my original which I just replaced. The new phone has 11/10. What does this mean? Obviously this cannot be manufacture date! Where do I look for this?
  13. aminaked

aminaked New Member

10th week of 2010 and 11th week of 2010. They are apparently manufacture dates.
  14. anewday

anewday New Member

A lot of times, others can't hear me when the microphone is not that close to my mouth. This isn't a problem with regular cell phones though. The innocase doesn't help either. :/
  15. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I guess another trick is to dial *22899 send. That reacquires the cell towers and might increase your bars, especially if they've recently had issues or done some upgrades/work on the towers.
  16. solorca

solorca New Member

I returned my phone three times before I finally just accepted that the Droid is not a very good "phone". It's great at everything else, which is the reason I bought it, but as a phone is the worst I've ever had.

If the microphone is more than an inch from your mouth, and if you hold the phone in any position other than the one that actually works, no one can hear you. It's really disappointing that such a great product is so terrible at it's main function, but since I only make about 100 minutes worth of calls a month, it's not a huge deal to me.

I definitely will be shying away from Motorola when I buy my next phone though. Hopefully LG will do a good job with the Android platform, because I've always had great results with their products.
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That's my feeling as well, although curiously the call clarity is much better over VoIP. Although I would say, generally, it's just as good as any other cell phone I've had but seems the 3G service that it usually defaults to is not as consistent (I have tower issues where I live).

I talk frequently on a headset or blue tooth and that solves my problem. Minor inconvenience, but in all honesty I don't like holding the phone to my ear for extended conversations so no big deal to pop-in my bluetooth.

My real complaint is speakerphone - and this applies to every cell phone I've had - just isn't good enough. To me having to hold the speakerphone within a foot directly in front of your mouth defeats the intended purpose of placing it on a table and being able to talk from a few feet away. That would be my preferred use but like I said it just doesn't cut it as a land-line speakerphone replacement.
  18. gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes New Member

It's interesting to see all the opinions. To me, the Droid is the best "phone" I've ever had. I've even had a couple of people mention how much better they could hear me and asked if I'd gotten a new phone.
  19. aminaked

aminaked New Member

People were sometimes complaining that I sounded muffled or echoed. Toggling speakerphone on and off would clear up the issue. I read through everything online I could find about this problem including the huge thread at support.motorola.com. I found that rebooting at least every 3 days is the thing that works for me. Also, speak into the mic. This is all unscientific of me, but give it a try. You just have to remember to reboot.
  20. BABABONDO

BABABONDO New Member

Verizon & Motorola playing DUMB! BAD AUDIO!!

My Droid is 5 days old. When speaking the other party says I sound very muffled or muddy. This is a WIDESPREAD complaint! Verizon says they "never heard of it". I phoned Motorola. The technician said "We have a patch from Verizon!" After the patch was installed it did not fix it. Technician said to remove and reinstall the battery. THEN it seemed to work. Switching between handset and speakerphone is revealing. Speakerphone is GREAT. Handset is horrible. With the most expensive and capable phone around it is hard to believe that the MAIN purpose of the phone is defective. I searched Google for Droid and muffled. Also Droid and "poor audio". There are hundreds of hits. This is nothing new for either company but they evidently don't want to discuss or admit it. My salesman said he DOES know about it and said he just supplies NEW replacement phones until the customer gets one that works. I'll do that tomorrow and hope for the best. It truly is unbelievable! The "fix" only lasted one day. It is back to horrible again. Anybody have a REAL cure??
Search tags for this page

htc one tin can call quality