Droid Browser Not Working After OTA 2.2 Update

shawya

Reaction score
So I received the OTA Froyo 2.2 update on my Droid 1 this morning. Ever since then, the stock browser doesn't work at all on 3G. I have Verizon, by the way. The 3G icon in the notification bar is on like normal, I have perfect reception, and it appears that all the other internet and data apps work over 3G fine, including Opera Mini, just not the stock browser. I also checked and found all my favorites had been erased. The exact error is a "webpage cannot be displayed" error. Anyone else have this problem, or maybe just know how to reinstall the browser? I absolutely want to avoid a factory reset, since it seems unnecessary at this point. I've looked literally all day online for an answer and got nothing. My phone is completely stock and it was an OTA update, so I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially since it doesn't appear there's any way to have the browser button link to another browser (and I like the stock browser anyways).

OP
S

shawya

Reaction score
Damn I'm slow, probably should've included what I've tried so far. I've rebooted several times, as well as done a couple soft resets by pulling the battery while it was on and leaving it out for a couple minutes. Also cleared every cache in the browser, but no dice.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the stock browser work over wifi or 1G?

Other things to try:
go phone settings > applications > manage applications > All tab > Browser > Clear data

And:
in browser settings > Reset to default

The browser button will link to whatever the default browser is. I recommend that you use Dolphin HD. It has tabs and it enables you to keep the user agent set to computer/desktop so that you get full versions of web sites (not neutered mobile sites). In Dolphin's settings, click "Set as default browser".

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but I prefer Dolphin HD to the stock browser.

abullock22

Reaction score
might have to go that route - was going to just download dolphin HD and use that as my browser..turns out my market doesnt work either...doh!!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, well, unfortunately I think your phone is a prime candidate for a factory reset.

Takes notes on how you had everything set up. There are apps in the market that will email a list of your installed apps to yourself. Kinda frustrating tweaking all the settings just right, but not that bad.

abullock22

Reaction score
OK, well, unfortunately I think your phone is a prime candidate for a factory reset.

Takes notes on how you had everything set up. There are apps in the market that will email a list of your installed apps to yourself. Kinda frustrating tweaking all the settings just right, but not that bad.

yeah, i figured i would need to, thanks for the help, and thanks verizon!! :icon_evil::icon_evil:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh, I guess you can't download the app that emails your list of apps cuz your market is broken.

Let us know if the reset fixed it!

My girlfriend got a new X and we set it up just right. Finally, she decided that her iphone was garbage and it was time to port the old number to the X. We had some trouble so I called verizon and the nice rep started to help us. Next thing I know, the X is doing a factory reset! I'm like, wtf? The rep is like "Oh! Pull the battery out! Pull the battery out!" First of all, pulling the battery out in the middle of a reset seems like a bad idea. Second of all, the thing's got a case on it and getting to the battery isn't so easy. Anyway, my girlfriend didn't mind too much (at all) as she had wanted to set it up herself (without me mucking with it).

I noticed on the very first visit to the market that all the free apps were still listed! I should have written down what was there but I exited out and the next time I went to the market, the list was clear.

Thanks verizon!

OP
S

shawya

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. So I was driving by a Verizon store and decided to stop. The guy handling all the Froyo issues (there were 4 other people besides me at the time) said that he thinks the browser portion of my push got jacked while downloading. He said that if Google's servers glitched at all during a particular batch of updates, that everybody in the update was getting a bad push. I take that with a grain of salt, of course, but he basically said he needs to to a factory reset and then install the update again manually. So unless I hear otherwise, it looks like I'll need to back up everything and then I get to redo all my settings. Pain in the ass. Too bad, cuz I've liked Froyo so far. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google server glitched? Bad batch of updates? Interesting hypothesis. I would think Google would be smart enough to at least run an MD5 sum to make sure the download wasn't corrupted, but what do I know?

abullock22

Reaction score
i did a soft reset on mine and it seems to be working fine now...let us know how yours turns out