Droid Bionic vs Verizon iPhone 4

aldaudio

Reaction score
It's not really fair to compare a 6 month old phone to a phone that hasn't even been released yet. Of course the Bionic will be better.

I'd say a fair comparison would the the X to the iP4.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
My Current Setup:
I currently still own the original DROID which I can't wait to get rid of. I can't stand how slow it is to process anything even just to bring up the keypad to make a phone call, yet check through & reply to email. I have rooted it and un-rooted it in order to find a stable setting as you never know when it's going to work properly or not.

I too am still on a Droid 1 (rooted) - Have Sapphire 2.0.0 (which is very good) installed. I've turned off live wallpapers and in addition to that have found that rebooting the phone does seem to really help mitigate the sluggishness. But like you, just hanging onto it for something better.

My hopes and intentions:
I would like something STABLE. I would like something faster. I use a boat load of applications and would hate to lose them or have to pay for most of them. I am also missing applications that are only on the iPhone currently.

iPhone is a more mature platform just by virtue it has been out for 2 years longer than Android. I would give that more time. Nice thing is your apps should carry over to the new phone as soon as it's synced to your gmail account.

The best thing you can do in this respect is to keep pressure on the app developer to release an android version.

Thoughts & Other Info:
I need to get a phone no later than March, so waiting for the iPhone5 may be out of the question. The iPhone is STABLE and works just fine as it stands, while the problem of most apps costing money. The Droid Bionic may be much faster and I won't have the slow response time which I currently HATE on my droid. Most Apps are free or I've already paid for the ones that I needed or wanted. Downfall of being open-sourced OS which could still cause many problems.

Open source has nothing to do with the problems. In fact the current main Mac OS is based on BSD. Also, if you've been following the news, the iPhone has been a far cry from perfect!

Yes, going to a new network and new processor is potentially fraught with a potential for instability. If you bought your Droid on day 1 - you too I'm sure have seen that the phone we have today is not the same one as the one that was released. It is better, more stable, and has fewer problems.

I don't deny we've had to be patient in the mean time.

I just don't know which one to get, but I need to make a decision. There are pros and cons of both... I even asked my friend whom had the iPhone4 and then switched to the DroidX and he off the bat recommended iPhone because it was Stable.

Thoughts and Concerns?

The DroidX too has had some well publicized problems. Moto, HTC and the other manufacturers are learning.

I am deciding to simply do nothing, keep my powder dry, and look at the BIONIC when it comes out. Signs indicate it will be the best phone on VZW but overall I am choosing to wait and see.

iPhones are iPhones.. There are people who drive certain brands of cars simply because they like the feel of them that no other manufacturer can quite pull off. No choice is free of trade offs and sacrifices. Android may have started off as an iPhone alternative to many, but I believe it's evolving into its own thing that is just as capable, if not more, than iOS.

Good luck in your choice.

Jacobh06

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies, keep them coming...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android may have started off as an iPhone alternative to many, but I believe it's evolving into its own thing that is just as capable, if not more, than iOS.

I like this. I have been thinking of a way to say this for months. Nice.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Android may have started off as an iPhone alternative to many, but I believe it's evolving into its own thing that is just as capable, if not more, than iOS.

I like this. I have been thinking of a way to say this for months. Nice.

I also agree with what he said!!!

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies, keep them coming...

Also, to add to what I said before: Although I'm not currently experiencing stability issues and my D1 is usably fast, I am with you in saying I can't wait to replace this thing. Mainly because I crave to have the speed and features I've experienced on my Nexus S on my 'main phone'. I'm opting for the Bionic because it will deliver a speedy, smooth experience with a nicer screen and a front-facing camera, allow me to play the next-gen of games that are in the works for Android (Nvidia's throwing their weight behind the platform and offering a game store, Android's SDK and NDK have been updated to allow better and higher quality games to be made, EA Games is continuing to show interest, Sony is trying to further Android gaming as well with the Xperia Play (Playstation phone), a games-on-demand service is being launched, Onlive is coming to Android, etc. etc. etc., it's an exciting time for Android gaming), and I'm confident in the choice because not because I am simply an Android fanboy, but because Android offers everything I want at this point and in a way that I find appealing. Basically, I'm very pleased with it, and while I could get an iPhone this summer and have more or less the same or similar features, (That is, assuming the i5 will have a dual-core CPU and LTE) I'm happy with Android and see no strong reason to consider switching.

My advice would be to find someone with a quality, high-end Android phone or maybe find a live model at a store or someplace, and see if it would meet your standards in the interim until the Thunderbolt/Bionic comes out and you can try that. (EVO 4G would be most like the Thunderbolt, Atrix 4G comes out March and will be most like the Bionic) I would pass on making a judgement based on the Droid X and it's issues only. If you like any of them, then I'd stay Android (after all, you're somewhat used to the platform and you've bought apps for it). If they have glaring issues or you simply don't feel like Android is right for you, then try the iPhone. Even then, I feel that March is too restricting; if I wanted an iPhone I'd wait until summer for the iPhone 5, but then again, I don't know your circumstances for wanting to upgrade by then.

xRITE AIDEx

Reaction score
What some are forgetting is that with the iphone your able to get the next update with the new phone(if I get the iphone4, i'll get iphone 5s update) of course to a certain extent.

My point being is that your not losing out if you buy the iphone now. I don't see many improvements for the iphone5 except for maybe cameras, antennas in which I wouldn't lose out on buying an iphone4. Compared to if I wait for the Bionic I will have a 4g LTE device, but I'm not in a 4g area making my phone nearly useless(you get my point)

I love android and even my D1 but I'm ready for my iphone, something new cause I know late 2012 when I'm ready to upgrade I'll have either the iphone6 or a new 4g droid to choose from.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Well everybody is putting their two cents in.....why don't I?

If people are going to jump form AT&T to Verizon just for the network, you might as well go with a phone that can handle anything that you throw at it. Android phones over iPhones are the way to go.

Ha, I guess that wasn't my two cents....that was pure fact.

BlackOtaku

Reaction score
Compared to if I wait for the Bionic I will have a 4g LTE device, but I'm not in a 4g area making my phone nearly useless(you get my point)

I don't really... There will be a 3G radio in the Bionic as well. If battery life is the concern, turn the 4G radio off. It certainly will be no less featured than the iPhone 4...

aldaudio

Reaction score
Compared to if I wait for the Bionic I will have a 4g LTE device, but I'm not in a 4g area making my phone nearly useless(you get my point)

I don't really... There will be a 3G radio in the Bionic as well. If battery life is the concern, turn the 4G radio off. It certainly will be no less featured than the iPhone 4...

Unless 4g phones require a 4g plan. That is the biggest question on which phone to upgrade to.

COSam

Reaction score
I have an upgrade and I am considering picking up the iPhone as soon as it becomes available to existing Verizon customers, then selling it to some Apple fanatic on craigslist for a hefty price. Only problem is that I would have to pay full price for the Bionic when it comes out. Any comments on the whether or not this would be economical?

I'm thinking:
Pay $299 for the 32gb iPhone, receive $800-1,000 for it.
Pay $500-600 for the Bionic?

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I have an upgrade and I am considering picking up the iPhone as soon as it becomes available to existing Verizon customers, then selling it to some Apple fanatic on craigslist for a hefty price. Only problem is that I would have to pay full price for the Bionic when it comes out. Any comments on the whether or not this would be economical?

I'm thinking:
and why would anyone pay U 3 !to 5 hundred more than they could buy it for at the store?

ionide

Reaction score

I'm thinking:

and why would anyone pay U 3 !to 5 hundred more than they could buy it for at the store?
Because the full retail of the phone is already 600 and they will be in short supply?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

COSam

Reaction score
Actually, full retail for the 32gb will probably be $700, that's what it is on AT&T. Couple other reasons:

1. Hopefully supply will be short.
2. People pay ridiculous prices for Apple products, specifically iPhones.
3. Some people may not want to wait the extra week until the iPhone is available for new customers.