Droid Bionic Update 5.9.904 Officially Announced

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but if moto is hard at work on ICS, whats up with all the GB updates? I understand fixes are good, but won't ICS fix a lot of that stuff or are they just dumping ICS on top of GB so these fixes will work in ICS too?

If it's like what happened when we went from Eclair to Froyo on the OG Droid, there were 2 versions. One was an OTA that was a patch to convert to Froyo and the other was a larger file that was a complete install. That one supposedly was sent to Verizon stores in case the OTA didn't work. Both files were available on this site.

Mungboy

Reaction score
Basic question here: for these OTA OS updates, do we have to actively seek them out, download and install? Our are they pushed to the Droids automatically?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Basic question here: for these OTA OS updates, do we have to actively seek them out, download and install? Our are they pushed to the Droids automatically?

They are pushed to your phone, you can try to manually pull it down by going into settings,about phone, system update. Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

A couple of things about OTA updates...

1) They are RANDOM. So random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day, one could get an update days after the other. Back in 2009 when the OG Droid was getting its first update, someone had set up a Google map where you could "stick a pin" showing where and when you got the update. No rhyme or reason at all.

2) They can load in the background. If they do, when you bring your phone up from sleep (i.e., bringing the screen up) it'll say you have an update available. This is assuming you leave your phone on (maybe connected to a charger) all the time.

3) When you check for updates (as 94lt1 suggested), you are sending a signal to the carrier. The carrier checks your version and IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number and if you're scheduled to receive it, you'll see a message saying so. This means that if you're scheduled to get an update on April 26th at 3:47am, your phone will say that it's "Up to date" even though others have been getting the update since April 20th.

Scimino

Reaction score
I am changing my opinion about 904. It works flawless with cm9 the 4/6/12 version. I've had zero data drops. Didn't work to well on GB for me. Aside from the few ics bugs in the rom. Battery has greatly improved. I had cm9 flashed before updating to 904. Not even sure it 904 effects cm9 but its working.

Sent from my XT875 using DroidForums

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Been seeing alot of ppl saying 904 and GB/stock have issues but when using 904 and an ICS rom they had better data.

If this inst a sign that 904 is a step towards ICS fir the bionic then idk what this phenomenon would be called then.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Mungboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...just got updated to 5.9.902.XT875. I guess I'll need to find another string to find out what this upgrade allows me to do differently...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited: