Droid Bionic Red Grills + LED Brighter

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Hey guys, i took mine apart and changed the color of the grills from the silver to blood red, i think that color scheme with the housing color matches better. Also for those who mentioned the LED is to dim, there is a small white sticker on the inside of the digitizer, you can remove it and it helps make it a bit brighter. I took mine off and i took a pic to show what that white sticker looks like which covers the LED light to dim.

dsc06668i.jpg

dsc06663d.jpg

dsc06664as.jpg

dsc06666n.jpg

dsc06662w.jpg

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You did say in that other thread you like to take these phones apart...lol. Nice work.

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
You did say in that other thread you like to take these phones apart...lol. Nice work.

Lol thanks, i tried to add a red led inside the earpiece speaker grill to make that the status led to light up the earpiece grill but spent an hour wiring the led and it was just way to much work i gave up on it and took it out lol

sk102704

Reaction score
Wow, thats pretty sweet! I like the look

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cjsmoove

Reaction score
A heeeellllll no....lol....I'm too scared too mess up my 300+ investment.

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Thanks guys, for the grills basically ya use a sharpie to take them off. Bottom is easy but make sure your careful not to slice through the grill, top one is held on with stronger tape and its not just the thin strip you see, its an entire square or rectangle grill which is covered by the camera cover which is also double taped onto the grill. So after you lift on edge of the grill up, work your way around with some leverage tool and eventually try to get underneath the entire grill (which goes under the camera cover) and you will basically take off the grill along with the camera chrome cover piece still attached to grill off. Then you will seperate the grill from the camera cover and do what you got to do to it and place things back :). I also thought a navy blue or midnight blue would look nice.

phatkat66

Reaction score
I want to make the LED brighter! plz tell me how to do that. I HATE how dim and small it is (coming from an X which i saw across the room and from the corner of my eye while driving) the Bionic's LED i don't notice it ever, i have to stare at my blank screen to see it blink and for that i might as well turn the screen on. Id really like to make the LED brighter. HELP!

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Well you need to first take it apart by removing all the screws on the back, then using a pry tool or credit card to run it along the sides to seperate the housing. Afterwards you need to remove the 4G sim card slot screws and take that off and disconnect the flex cables/ribbons and remove the board. then you can use a sharpie or something to remove that small white sticker which is on the inside of the digitizer covering where the led blinks. Steps on taking it apart are shown with pictures on ifixit website i guess you can use those for reference.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So there is actually something covering the notification led?? What in the world...

Well...I have taken an Xbox 360 apart before..ya know to ...uh...clean it. Yea...clean it...

I might give this a try if I get the Bionic.

Last edited:

locofocos

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the led on after the sticker is removed? I would ask for a before shot for comparison, but I imagine that might hard to get at this point. How noticeable is the difference in brightness? How difficult would you rate this mod, say, for others who also took apart a 360 for... cleaning... lol

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
lol ya there is a small circular sticker as shown in one of the pics, i dont know why the do that maybe to make the light look more faded effect who knows lol. Well here is a video i took of it and a picture i took bellow. I dont remember how much of a difference it makes since i didnt pay attention to the LED before i took the sticker off. Maybe you guys can tell better than i can if its a improvement or not.

dsc06686e.jpg

Video ==> MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
oh and difficulty rating id say 5/10 its not too hard, just unscrew the phone in the back and seperate the housing with a pry tool, remove ribbons, and sim slot and take board off, however i forgot to mention this, the LCD screen is slightly double taped to the board when you lift the board the screen comes up too, so you will need to carefully without cracking the screen use a thin pry tool or plastic to seperate lcd from the board. Some people might not want to do that, for obvious reasons and also for dust possibly getting in but i did it carefully and was able to have no dust :) Pics from that ifixit web site on the bionic disassembly help if you dont know what your doing.