Droid Bionic Press Release hits the web; Official Launch Tomorrow, Sept. 8th

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
droid-bionic-front.png

BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and LIBERTYVILLE, Ill. – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola will be exclusively available beginning Sept. 8.

DROID BIONIC is the first Verizon Wireless smartphone to combine 4G LTE with the power of dual-core 1 GHz processors, 1 GB of RAM and a stunning 4.3-inch qHD display – all in a sleek form factor that makes it the thinnest 4G LTE smartphone from Verizon Wireless. Customers can expect to fly across the Web on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network with download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas.

DROID BIONIC introduces a host of groundbreaking applications and accessories that turn the device into a multimedia hub, a ruler of remote access and a purveyor of virtuality. DROID BIONIC introduces ZumoCast™ by Motorola, an application that lets customers bring their digital world of videos, music, pictures and documents stored on their computers to their handset via remote access. With its revolutionary Webtop application, DROID BIONIC can beam a full-featured Firefox® Web browser 4.0, email or documents to a TV or monitor, like the separately purchased Lapdock™ with a 11.6” screen, keyboard and integrated trackpad.

Accessories such as the HD Station let DROID BIONIC users turn the phone into an entertainment center or home office. Customers can view pictures, video, and content from the DROID BIONIC on any HDTV or monitor by connecting a separately sold HDMI cable. They can also take a conference call while editing documents and surfing the Web. And, of course, the DROID BIONIC lets customers share their 4G LTE signal with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices when they activate the Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot. The device of the future today, the DROID BIONIC also includes the following features:

· Powered by Android™ 2.3.4 Gingerbread
· Dual-core 1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM
· 4.3-inch qHD screen using scratch-resistant Corning® Gorilla® Glass with dual-layer anti-reflective coating
· 8-megapixel autofocus camera with flash and 1080p HD video capture
· Front-facing camera for video chat over 4G LTE, 3G or Wi-Fi
· MOTOPRINT app to print via Wi-Fi-enabled printers
· Mirror Mode with HDMI out (HDMI cable required) supporting 1080p HD video playback
· Multi-window options for multitasking with ease when using the Webtop application
· Business Ready with advanced security policies; resizable and scrollable email, calendar and task widgets; device and SD card encryption; and Citrix® GotoMeeting® and Citrix Receiver™ for Android
· Adobe® Flash® pre-loaded
· HTML 5 capable
· 32 GB memory: 16 GB on board and 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed (actual formatted capacity is less)
· Support for up to 32 GB microSD cards
· Supports wireless charger

Pricing and availability:

· DROID BIONIC by Motorola will be available in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores and online at Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless on Sept. 8 for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
· Customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for 450 minutes per month and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.
· Verizon Wireless Mobile Hotspot data plans are available beginning at $30 for 2 GB.
· For a limited time, customers who purchase a Lapdock with the DROID BIONIC can receive a $100 mail-in rebate when subscribing to a $50, 5 GB data plan or higher.

Available accessories:

· The Lapdock will be available for $299.97, the HD Station will be available for $99.99 and the Adapter for Webtop Application will be available for $29.99.
· Vehicle Navigation Dock delivers easy access to maps, favorite contacts, hands-free calling, music, navigation and more and supports streaming of audio and music via the 3.5 mm audio jack, if available, to play through vehicle speakers. The Vehicle Navigation Dock will be available for $39.99.
· The Battery Dock with standard battery is a pocket-sized accessory with an extra battery included to charge both DROID BIONIC and an extra battery at the same speed as a wall charger. The Battery Dock will be available for $49.99.

For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones - Smartphones: Cell Phone Service, Accessories - Verizon Wireless. For more information on accessories, visit www.verizonwireless.com/accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Contract Specifics

In this press release, they mention that you must sign up for specific data plans to get the discounted price. So, will this keep me from getting it and remaining grandfathered in unless I pay the full retail price. I know there are some VZW reps out there that can answer this.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of this phone overall, but how much sweeter would it be if Verizon moved their ugly @$$ logo to the back. I guess a nice cover should be able to hide that though... :)

nikecar

Reaction score
In this press release, they mention that you must sign up for specific data plans to get the discounted price. So, will this keep me from getting it and remaining grandfathered in unless I pay the full retail price. I know there are some VZW reps out there that can answer this.
since these are the only advertised plans for verizon, they put that there. If you are grandfathered, its been discussed before that upgrading your phone, if you are grandfathered, will NOT affect your plan.

You are ok. Go in, say you are eligible for a phone upgrade, and you want the Bionic. No changes to your plan (unless you want to change it) should be made. Your current contract will be then extended 2 yrs. Unless you buy full retail

dgoakill

Reaction score
so when they say available online sept. 8th............does that mean 12:01am (tonight) Thursday or like sometime during the morning tomorrow? Getting on a plane and need it over-nighted (and in my hands) by Friday 6pm or I have to wait a week. Shipping has always been good with VZ for me living in Philly usually less than 24hours.

82DMC12

Reaction score
If you dial *611 and talk to a rep you can order the phone RIGHT NOW and you get free overnight FedEx so you have it tomorrow! I just ordered it and some screen protectors. The rep said I am still on unlimited data and I don't have to sign up for a 4G plan. It will come to me all set up so that when 4G hits my area in two weeks it will automatically switch from 3 to 4G. So basically all I had to do was ask for the phone, they confirmed my eligibility, and had me go through the automated contract renewal stuff. I'm having it shipped to my office so I can make sure someone is available to sign for it!!!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Nah, I actually like the latest blur from Motorola. Yes, I'm running CM7 with launcher Pro on it, but I've been tempted to go back to just rooted and run the regular MotoBlur. I miss having the full wide screen camera and being able to record in 720p. I have an 11 month old and I always have to scramble to find my video camera to get good quality video when hes being cute. That doesn't mean that MotoBlur is perfect, but its actually good and is quite fast.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Not to jack, but isn't the HTC Vigor supposed to be released tomorrow as well? And you guys are actually gonna get this? I waited this long, might was well wait for the Droid/Nexus Prime or the Vigor... (not to bash or hate)

ConqSoft

Reaction score
so when they say available online sept. 8th............does that mean 12:01am (tonight) Thursday or like sometime during the morning tomorrow? Getting on a plane and need it over-nighted (and in my hands) by Friday 6pm or I have to wait a week. Shipping has always been good with VZ for me living in Philly usually less than 24hours.

Checked with my local store and they aren't doing any Midnight Sales Event or anything. Will have them first thing in the morning when they open at 9am he said.

82DMC12

Reaction score
How do you figure? Absolutely nothing official about the phone's marketing plan or POP info has even been released. The Bionic's ramp-up has been plenty confusing... whomever is in charge of marketing should be fired if this phone doesn't have a good launch. But the Vigor.... there's nothing at all. No way is it coming out any time soon. Last time I heard it was Oct 6. I prefer the build quality and frequent updates by Moto anyway.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
How do you figure? Absolutely nothing official about the phone's marketing plan or POP info has even been released. The Bionic's ramp-up has been plenty confusing... whomever is in charge of marketing should be fired if this phone doesn't have a good launch. But the Vigor.... there's nothing at all. No way is it coming out any time soon. Last time I heard it was Oct 6. I prefer the build quality and frequent updates by Moto anyway.
No need to get so excited. I got confused with dates, there has been so many in the news now. Confused Oct. 8 with Sept. 8...honest mistake. I like the Bionic and Moto does make nice phones (only owned the d1 and x2) but I think I'll wait a while longer until the Primes and Vigor are out, so I can make a good decision between all of them. My 4 lines are out of upgrades, so I actually have to wait for the next 2 years until I upgrade (can't afford $350ETF), I want my next phone to actually last those 2 years..