1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

#Droid Bionic or HTC Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Dj Quik, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dj Quik

Dj Quik New Member

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Guest

Seems like this question is going around a lot. If both phones were available right now I would probably go with the bionic. I got a chance to play with both phones at CES.
  3. P7M8

P7M8 New Member

I want the Bionic but I hope I won't have to wait too long. Some prognosticators are estimating summer before it arrives. I hope it's sooner.

I've been sitting on an early upgrade waiting for the 4G/LTE phones. I'm about to smash my rooted D1 due to spending more time trying to connect to wireless tether than I spend connected.
  4. tmwilson02

tmwilson02 New Member

Prognosticator! Awesome choice of words. I too have been sitting on an upgrade. I believe that the videos from CES consistantly use the "early Q2" which basically leaves the month of April, and maybe the first two weeks of May. So unless they go back on their claims we should see it prior to Summer. I think there would be a huge uproar from the community if they fail to release the phones when they claim they are. People will still buy them of course, but the forums will get pretty negative if we don't see the new round of phones by the end of April.
  5. jogutier

jogutier New Member

They kept qouting Q2 for Verizon, so that will take us from April to June. I'm really interested in the Bionic myself. That is going to be the phone after my dream phone. lol jk :icon_ banana:
  6. Blackcharger06

Blackcharger06 New Member

qtrs...

could be sooner..

• 1st Quarter: October 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010
    • 2nd Quarter: January 1, 2011 - March 31, 2011
    • 3rd Quarter: April 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
    • 4th Quarter: July 1, 2011 - September 30, 2011
    I sure hope so... I just want to be able to watch hd on my phone and then threw hdmi out to an lcd hdtv in full 1080p. I just need the right 4g phone a sling box and I'm all set... This and the celtics being completely health are the 2 things I have been waiting for all winter...
  7. P7M8

P7M8 New Member

I'm thinking it will be calendar year quarters, not fiscal year quarters.
  8. P7M8

P7M8 New Member

9. avoltech

avoltech New Member

The T-B looks sweet.
  10. VilleMatic

VilleMatic New Member

11. DebDroid

DebDroid New Member

Eesh, I have an upgrade in March. Everyone thinks I'm crazy not to get the iPhone. LMAO Bunch of Appleheads who don't realize how awesome Android is. *rolls eyes* Right now I think I really want the Bionic but the Thunderbolt is nothing to sneeze at! Decisions, decisions!
  12. UNC

UNC New Member

Wait til June, and get the Dual-core vPhone 5. Native code > code run thru VM....

If you are dead set against Apple, then get the Moto... atleast the company (like Apple) is based in the USA.

Buy something that will atleast pay American engineers....
  13. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    There will be no iphone5 on Verizon.. AT least not this year...
  14. UNC

UNC New Member

Don't know why you say that. I'm pretty sure I just read something about it. I'll link the story here...

Do you just hate on Apple so much that you hope it doesn't come out, because you said that like you know it for a fact... even though you don't.

15. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    No I just remember reading a tweet by black_man_x that there will be no iphone5 released on Verizon this year..
  16. Jasonjohns

Jasonjohns New Member

Iphone discussion has nothing to do with this thread.
  17. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 Super Moderator Premium Member

18. guitarchris123

guitarchris123 New Member

Here is some info to help people make comparisons and decide: I think it mostly comes down to Blur vs. Sense, and dual core vs. single core, and love for Moto vs. HTC.

Thunderbolt advantages over Bionic – 32 MB microSD card included (very good value), 768MB RAM, Sense 2.0 (preference for some, but majority seem to prefer it to other skins), kickstand (although you can’t charge while using it because of port location), external speaker, releasing sooner, better front facing camera, FM radio, unlocked bootloader (merely speculation right now, but it would be easier to root, rom), HTC gets new update support the fastest, more attractive design (personal preference, some may disagree, but they both look great anyway)
    Disadvantages – lower quality screen (but still pretty decent improvement over Inc and EVO), only a single core processor (but new 2nd generation snapdragon is still very good, can overclock well, looks very snappy in videos, and will be plenty fast for most people), less internal memory, no HDMI port (but HTC will allegedly release a device to use with non-DLNA compatible TVs to make up for this) will likely get poor battery life unless you buy the extended one because the stock one is small, fewer accessories available at launch

Bionic advantages over Thunderbolt – dual core processor (while it will certainly be faster than single, it sounds like the software and Android won’t be able to quite fully optimize it until Honeycomb is released and games and apps are developed to fully utilize the power, which is two versions down the road, so this will not be a dealbreaker for many people), better quality screen, HDMI, bigger battery (huge plus for everyone!), more internal memory, gets better accessory selection at launch (eg. docks)
    Disadvantages – microSD card not included, less RAM (big disappointment for many people), MotoBlur (lighter version may be ok, we’ll have to wait and see), no kickstand or external speaker, releasing later, front facing camera not as good (but comparable to iPhone’s), no FM radio, locked bootloader (hard to root and rom, can be a very big deal to some, but not to others who won’t)

Hope this helps! All other specs are pretty comparable on both models. I decided to go with the Thunderbolt in early March instead of waiting until late April, May, or even early June for the Bionic. I really like Sense over Blur, and it just looks more polished to me in the pics and videos. I don't really NEED dual core for my purposes (yet), and that is the main thing that would swing me toward it, plus the HTC has more RAM which will help make up for lack of a dual core and the 2nd gen Snapdragon is much improved over the first, so it will be pretty fast as it is. I'll just get the extended battery on the HTC, and I'm sure their new SLCD screen is good enough, and then I'll be happy with it for a year until the second generation of dual core phones are released next year (whether they be by HTC, Moto, Sammy, or LG) that are much improved spec-wise and can more fully take advantage of dual core technology.

I'd definitely like to see how the other manufacturers' dual cores stack up against NVIDIA's Tegra 2 first before making a decision (namely Qualcomm's newest one and Samsung's Orion processors). Like with computers when the first dual cores came out, it will take a couple rounds of devices to get the kinks worked out and figure out how best to use both cores in conjunction with each other. The Tegra 2 is great from what I've been reading on it, but just because its the first in line to the game doesn't mean its going to win in the long run.
  19. guitarchris123

guitarchris123 New Member

20. COSam

COSam New Member

I was almost set on the Bionic until reading that. Now I will be considering the HTC. Only worried about a couple things, the battery life of the TB and the inferior processor. Otherwise, unlocked bootloader and earlier release date, very tempting.