Droid Bionic on 9/1/11?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Droid X1 worked out the box...no modding, custom rom, root or kernel...just saying...my kids mother loves it for the browser, gps, youtube app, swype, music player. For what she uses it for...it justs works also. Thats one of the biggest myths about the iPhone vs. Android. Android can be just as simple to use. Also that the iPhone doesnt have problems. Visit macrumors and the iPhone troubleshooting section. You would be surprised. Its no different than any smartphone as far as having issues. Personal story about a co worker's iPhone 4 locking up showing us a clip of his kids school play. I laughed a lil inside....just like any smartphone....

I think Moto saw what happened with the first LTE phones and decided to try to have a better overall phone. Article about them making their own LTE chip, if true, is a step in that direction. And could be one reason for the delays.

Them switching to the OMAP 4 when the Atrix and DX2 has Tegra 2 says something. Dont know what it really says, but it says something.

If everyone did it like Apple its possible they could all have a single nice flagship phone every time. Look at HTC and the Thunderbolt. I think Moto doesnt wanna repeat of that.

Whats gonna look bad is if the Bionic has major issues after all this time and revisions. Right now, we just dont know.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope Moto did the right thing and saw a major flaw with the previous LTE devices and made the proper changes, I commend them for going back to the drawing board. I still have a major problem with them initially designing and creating a flagship device that they had to completely revamp.

That shows poor planning and execution whether you love them or not.

TheDig

Reaction score
oh I completely agree that no phone is perfect, iphone included. I just think that the big bad fruit has a good thing going as much as we all hate to admit it.

To think what could be if moto, htc or samsung only had to create one phone a year...almost gives me chills.

As a consumer I'm just not happy with the phones that are being released lately. Not from any one manufacturer, but all of them. I'm not willing to settle for something that will be old news as soon as its on the market. Maybe this is why the ip5 is "delayed"...apple knows that unless they bring something big to the table over the ip4, the masses wont flock to it...who knows its just a thought because that's how I feel.

Is it so wrong to want a google phone with great battery life and ZERO bloatware? It's my device, I should be able to control what is on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll look at the bionic. If it is everything they say, we'll see...it may be my next phone. I just remember all the hype about the thunderbolt and look how that turned out...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

densetsu86

Reaction score
Sorry but im against one phone a year thats the same as saying one laptop or one computer for a year from each company. When i want to buy a computer or laptop i want choice. Dx2, d3, bionic etc thats a good thing. Not a bad. Moto is not a team of only 5 engineers im sure they have teams and team leaders to get everything done.

And apple could make the worlds crappiest phone and it could still sell. Oh wait a minute they did its called iphone brand. All apple.products are junk. They may seem cool but thats marketing if anything thats all that they're good at. Ipod is crap very limited media player my 3 year old samsung mp3 player is much more versatile. Pc are much more versatile. Sure they have more viruses but if your a douchebag virus creator who are you going to attack the bigger install base or the smaller one? Naturally the bigger one but some do attack macs.

For the most part my dx2 did everything its supposed to do but i want to make it better then that. At least with android i have the option of doing so unlike iphone.

Have phones become like the pc market yes but i shudder to think that my only choice would be an env touch i had it and it was god awefull. Moto is making something for everyone how is that a bad thing and they do the right thing and not release.a crap ass product although i do wished they kept etnas shell design i liked that more then this lg revolution look alike. You have a 4.3" screen non physical keyboard, a 4" slider phone and now a 4g phone coming for people who want it. You only hurt yourself with one phone cause somebody wanting something different will go somewhere else and in this economy you want as many customers as you can. And how do you achieve this by giving your customers choice. Im not pro droid. But i am against anything apple makes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
To say apple products are junk is just a lie. Overly expensive, yes, but not junk. This coming from someone who's been building PC's for 15 years.

I'm not saying one Droid a year, I'm saying Moto needs to focus on one solid phone instead of 3-4 mediocre phones that require us to exchange 2-3 times before we get one that works properly.

I think the overall point is, when you design a flagship device, things should be better planned out. Now when we receive the Bionic, it will honestly be behind in hardware because of the redesign delays.

The screen itself is one huge letdown as much better screens have been released since the beginning of the Bionic design and yet we aren't seeing them swap the screens out because they've invested so much time and money in a phone that should have been released 3-4 months ago, which would have given it that 3-4 months of being ahead of the pack.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
To say apple products are junk is just a lie. Overly expensive, yes, but not junk. This coming from someone who's been building PC's for 15 years.

I'm not saying one Droid a year, I'm saying Moto needs to focus on one solid phone instead of 3-4 mediocre phones that require us to exchange 2-3 times before we get one that works properly.

I think the overall point is, when you design a flagship device, things should be better planned out. Now when we receive the Bionic, it will honestly be behind in hardware because of the redesign delays.

The screen itself is one huge letdown as much better screens have been released since the beginning of the Bionic design and yet we aren't seeing them swap the screens out because they've invested so much time and money in a phone that should have been released 3-4 months ago, which would have given it that 3-4 months of being ahead of the pack.

Apple products aren't junk, but they are way behind Android phones.
By that I mean WAY behind.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple products aren't bad.. spec wise they come to the markets top notch. But they are over priced. And the limitations they give to people for spending such great amounts of money for a phone or computer is just ridiculous.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

densetsu86

Reaction score

Sorry to say but for.the every day user yeah they are. They have no dev support im talking about their line of computers. There are things i can do on a pc extremely easily and cost effective that doing on a mac i have to jump through hoops to do the same or buy really expensive programs just to your get a near same but overall worse result. Video encoding, gaming, wide range kf supported codecs for audio and video that just aren' t there unless i get a windows emulator and with that its a horrible experiance.

Macs are great for desktkp publishing and engineering programs that are professionally built im talking the $2000 programs like autocad and such.

Hell why do you think they were the first to branch out into mp3 players (that at first had problems with mp3 file formate and you had to use there audio codecs so all your songs had to ne transcoded during transfer. Now they allow mp3 and there own only while others play a wide range of formats. There phones the been called great for everything except making a damn call. But other then that android has already surpassed them with the options that are still not available. No flash, no sd card, tiny screens only, can't switch out the battery. Their hardware is junk and their.os is restricted to hell. So to me thats junk and the price point even furthers that cause the value just isn't there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean like having front facing cameras and being able to talk and be online at the same time behind?

Sorry, both Droid and Iphone's have their downfalls.

I would rather have a phone that when I buy it, it works 100%, I don't have to return it 3 times and it will be "behind" in tech within a month anyways.

I bought my Original Droid the first day it came out because I hated Apple, but what I realized was, Apple has the right idea about phones.

You build one quality device and you perfect it's software, you don't make huge mistakes that force you to revamp your flagship phone.

People are jumping ship whether you guys like to say it or not, when someone like me who's built PC's for over a decade are coming around to Iphone's because they're more dependable than Droids, they're making glaring mistakes.

I bought the DX when it came out and had to return it twice before I just re-activated my Original droid, which I had to have replaced 3 times when I bought it originally.

There are serious issues with dependability with these phones and to continue making multiple mediocre phones is a losing strategy no matter how much more advance the devices are in terms of technology.

Again I'll say it, one phone, build it properly and release it in a timely manner, you'll win over a much greater audience.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me state, I adored the Bionic at CES, the first version. Looked incredible, loved that they were making the jump to dual core and allowing customization that we all love from Droids.

Why I'm saddened now is because I already don't trust the new Bionic because of all the revisions and now it looks like a large original Droid with an ugly chin again.

I also feel the "docking" idea is just laughable. Why would I ever need to dock my phone to my laptop, that I don't have because I have a Droid in the first place. So now we should buy laptops to hook our phones to, which we don't need anymore because we have smart phones.

As I said, red flags everywhere with this one.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
You mean like having front facing cameras and being able to talk and be online at the same time behind?

Sorry, both Droid and Iphone's have their downfalls.

I would rather have a phone that when I buy it, it works 100%, I don't have to return it 3 times and it will be "behind" in tech within a month anyways.

I bought my Original Droid the first day it came out because I hated Apple, but what I realized was, Apple has the right idea about phones.

You build one quality device and you perfect it's software, you don't make huge mistakes that force you to revamp your flagship phone.

People are jumping ship whether you guys like to say it or not, when someone like me who's built PC's for over a decade are coming around to Iphone's because they're more dependable than Droids, they're making glaring mistakes.

I bought the DX when it came out and had to return it twice before I just re-activated my Original droid, which I had to have replaced 3 times when I bought it originally.

There are serious issues with dependability with these phones and to continue making multiple mediocre phones is a losing strategy no matter how much more advance the devices are in terms of technology.

Again I'll say it, one phone, build it properly and release it in a timely manner, you'll win over a much greater audience.

Why do you have to compare it to Apple?
Its a fact that Apple overprices there products.
You are paying more and getting less. The iPhone 4 is still more expensive than FAR superior Android phones.

Sure maybe iPhones are more "dependable."
But if if you put in a days work, you can fix all the problems your Android phone is having.

And they aren't completely locked down like iPhones.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me state, I adored the Bionic at E3, the first version. Looked incredible, loved that they were making the jump to dual core and allowing customization that we all love from Droids.

Why I'm saddened now is because I already don't trust the new Bionic because of all the revisions and now it looks like a large original Droid with an ugly chin again.

I also feel the "docking" idea is just laughable. Why would I ever need to dock my phone to my laptop, that I don't have because I have a Droid in the first place. So now we should buy laptops to hook our phones to, which we don't need anymore because we have smart phones.

Agreed with both parts.

USB connecting to my laptop is just fine. I have a smart phone so I don't need to lug around my laptop. Why completely hook my phone up to it when I can already do really anything I can with my phone on my laptop.. if I want a bigger screen display I'll buy a tablet or mirror it onto my tv. So, I don't get the whole webtop thing. Maybe I don't habe enough info on it.

As for the iPhone guys.. yes it's more "dependable" and you're getting a working iPhone more than likely for as long as you have it for the most part. But Android phones now don't nearly have as any bugs as they use to. My Droid now so far has been running flawlessly, and my stock phone can do more then a jailbroken iPhone.. which I think is completely sad.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to compare it to Apple?
Its a fact that Apple overprices there products.
You are paying more and getting less. The iPhone 4 is still more expensive than FAR superior Android phones.

Sure maybe iPhones are more "dependable."
But if if you put in a days work, you can fix all the problems your Android phone is having.

And they aren't completely locked down like iPhones.

The reason Iphone's came up was because we were discussing Motorola's choices to make multiple phones instead of focusing and executing a top notch flagship phone and getting it released in a reasonable amount of time.

I was saying they should take a note from Apple's book and focus on one phone for a while, polish it to perfection and get it to the public. This would reestablish trust and give us a phone that's reliable, while still giving us the customization that we all love from Android devices.

OP
anuraj1

anuraj1

Reaction score
Let me state, I adored the Bionic at E3, the first version. Looked incredible, loved that they were making the jump to dual core and allowing customization that we all love from Droids.

I LOVE that the new Bionic is a tribute to the OG Droid. The Etna version from CES looked bloated and bulbous and plastic, and didn't look like the rest of the Droid Line.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Minus the screen, how is it considered behind in hardware when the GS2 hasn't even made it to the US yet? Even including the screen, the Amoled + might be seen as better, but that doesnt mean its behind in hardware. It wont be behind, it will be comparable to whats out at the moment.

So when the GS 2 finally gets to the US, if it doesnt have LTE is it gonna be seen as behind in hardware? Someone in another thread said the D3 had old tech. That was funny, really.

For real, one could say that if a phone doesnt have 3D or LTE, 4G its behind in hardware as of right now. I dont think that, but one could argue that as of right now.