Droid Bionic is Rooted

wseyller

Reaction score
I have a Question for you So you do not think if The Prime comes to Verizon that they will not put Bloatware on the Prime? Name me one phone on Verizon other then the Original Droid that does not have Bloatware?

I believe this idea was because the phone was once called a Nexus prime. It is now a Droid Prime. Nexus device historically do not have anything unpure. First of all who says this is even a Nexus device. I think many are fooled by that. I don't think there is much chance anymore that Verizon will release a phone without their bloat. They are gonna make sure that their vcast & vzw navigator is on there hoping that you will actually pay for it. The Original droid was like a test run for them with android. That Droid Prime is gonna have so much bloat on it all you Prime owners are gonna start crying like a babies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ yeah i mean i'm just going on the thought that the Prime might a Nexus device in which case history would show that it will be bloatfree. However, that's all speculation. Either way though, the Prime will eventually be rooted too, so it's still a tough choice for me. Plus the novelty of the Bionic wore off after waiting 10 years for it haha

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe this idea was because the phone was once called a Nexus prime. It is now a Droid Prime. Nexus device historically do not have anything unpure. First of all who says this is even a Nexus device. I think many are fooled by that. I don't think there is much chance anymore that Verizon will release a phone without their bloat. They are gonna make sure that their vcast & vzw navigator is on there hoping that you will actually pay for it. The Original droid was like a test run for them with android. That Droid Prime is gonna have so much bloat on it all you Prime owners are gonna start crying like a babies.

The crying will quickly turn to laughter as I root it. Then I will mock all other devices for being inferior.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The crying will quickly turn to laughter as I root it. Then I will mock all other devices for being inferior.

I agree...there's no reason whatsoever to think the Prime won't be rooted. Bloatware doesn't stand a chance

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's already up and running in Washington D.C. at 7-11s, CVSs, a few cafes and delis, Whole Foods, and some gas stations. They're planning a big roll out in mall type brick and mortar stores (like BB, Gap, AE, etc.) all over really soon, like in 2-3 months.

Google Wallet - make your phone your wallet

Nice! Looks like it's already all over Alexandria. Definitely waiting for this phone now.

bplewis24

Reaction score
So, now the only reasons for me to not buy it on launch day are gone:

I can root to remove/freeze bloatware, and
I can root to install rooted apps.

Awesome!

Brandon

82DMC12

Reaction score
So, now the only reasons for me to not buy it on launch day are gone:

I can root to remove/freeze bloatware, and
I can root to install rooted apps.

Awesome!

Brandon

This is awesome. Do you guys think WiFi Tether and PDANet will work on the Bionic? I have had PDANet on my OG for at least a year, before I was rooted. After rooting I added WiFi Tether. I like them both. Any reason these won't work? They are really handy for my job and if I can't get free tethering I don't know that I want to replace my D1.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Im not saying anyones right or wrong, I like the Bionic and what the Prime is expected to be.. but I also remember the big build up for the Droid Pro, yea, it wasn't a nexus, but was a let down .. so I think no matter what everyone chooses, it will be a winner.

REMilk

Reaction score
This is awesome. Do you guys think WiFi Tether and PDANet will work on the Bionic? I have had PDANet on my OG for at least a year, before I was rooted. After rooting I added WiFi Tether. I like them both. Any reason these won't work? They are really handy for my job and if I can't get free tethering I don't know that I want to replace my D1.

I have a Droid 3 which I rooted and installed Wifi Tether and Barnacle. Both of these invoked the 'Mobile Hotspot' app and when I opened a browser window, I was at the screen for signing up for the Verizon Mobile Hotspot service. I then uninstalled both apps. I had a paid for the Easy Tether for my OG Droid, so I installed it on the Droid 3 and I installed the correct Motorola drivers for the Droid 3. With Easy Tether, I connected with no problem and could browse and connect with a corporate MS Exchange server. Easy Tether does NOT need root, The Droid 3 is 'tethered' to the laptop with the USB cable. I did have to obtain from mobile-stream an updated registration code at no additional charge.

Since Easy Tether worked on the Droid 3, I would think that PDANet may also work on the Droid 3 and on the Bionic.

I only tether when I am at my mother's (no internet access) or in airports with no free wifi. I use it collect email so my data usage does not really change much when I use it.

Bob

82DMC12

Reaction score
I have a Droid 3 which I rooted and installed Wifi Tether and Barnacle. Both of these invoked the 'Mobile Hotspot' app and when I opened a browser window, I was at the screen for signing up for the Verizon Mobile Hotspot service. I then uninstalled both apps. I had a paid for the Easy Tether for my OG Droid, so I installed it on the Droid 3 and I installed the correct Motorola drivers for the Droid 3. With Easy Tether, I connected with no problem and could browse and connect with a corporate MS Exchange server. Easy Tether does NOT need root, The Droid 3 is 'tethered' to the laptop with the USB cable. I did have to obtain from mobile-stream an updated registration code at no additional charge.

Since Easy Tether worked on the Droid 3, I would think that PDANet may also work on the Droid 3 and on the Bionic.

I only tether when I am at my mother's (no internet access) or in airports with no free wifi. I use it collect email so my data usage does not really change much when I use it.

Bob

Same here. I have cable internet at home, but sometimes if I am at work with my laptop or when travelling I need to tether. Is PDANet still in the marketplace? If you get bored, you should try to install it, see if it works, and then let me know by PM!!! I'll buy you a beer.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

martytoo

Reaction score
Still not gonna do much in terms of battery life being sucked out of it from the dual cores.

So do you also use a 486DX processor on your PC? :D

Milton Friedman said:
The story goes that Milton Friedman was once taken to see a massive government project somewhere in Asia. Thousands of workers using shovels were building a canal. Friedman was puzzled. Why weren't there any excavators or any mechanized earth-moving equipment? A government official explained that using shovels created more jobs. Friedman's response: "Then why not use spoons instead of shovels?"