Droid Bionic heading towards Verizon

moosez3

Reaction score
People have to really come off this "Android Vs Apple" crap. Me personally..I dont care as long as I can use my phone as a phone. Having extra perks is a great thing, dont get me wrong. But I refuse to be a "fanboy" just to be cool. I love my Android, however, if a phone I like suits my need..so be it. Just like most of us used to be on Crackberry.com, and avid blackberry nut riders..we moved to android and did the same.

The fact that you can remove a battery or not doesnt matter if the phone functions. I've given Apple their credit..but back to the main focus.. My situation with Android.. and Verizon.

Fact is this: My next phone... I have to pick wisely.

1. My next phone has to be able to be USABLE for 20 months. Meaning insurance WILL be used at least once.
  2. My next phone HAS to suit me for at least 14 days. With an Android I know exactly what I'm getting. Apple...not so much. And it'll take more than two weeks to figure that out.
  3. Verizon uses no lube. And have sold their souls. Fact.
  4. I have a "personal" issue with going to stores, reading newspapers, etc... and seeing "App now Available in App Store" for the iphone, then look at my Droid like "you're better though.". I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Example: I'm reading the Washington Post.. It'd be nice to have an Android app. There isn't one. What am I to do? Use the browser. I'll be a dickhead and say "I want the same luxuries.". It's not enough to get me to change my device just so I can order on Chipotle....at all. However.

I hate charging my phone three times a day. When I get to the office at work, it typically is at 80% because I'll read my news, check emails, etc. CHARGE #1. Then I use it throughout my day working at the law firm, going to different places, I'll probably be at 30/40% by 4:30. Have to charge it before I leave at 7pm... CHARGE #2. Get home...tasks and whatnot, charge it when Im sleep. CHARGE #3.

I get the idea of a smartphone, and the whole "extended battery, etc etc". But fact is...My phone should at least last 8 hours. At least. My Droid X...4.6. According to the battery left. Which of course isn't accurate...but still.

End of the day...I dont want to be FORCED to use an iphone because the policies VERIZON is enforcing cater to Apple. Think about it.

• Iphones have a new model every two years. -- Verizon cancels early upgrades.
  • iphones on AT&T don't have insurance. -- Verizon changes return policy to 14 days. Meaning Asurion will have a similar policy.
I just want everything my Droid X has...with a front facing camera and maybe a dual core. I want the Thunderbolt...but no dual core. Should that matter?

I feel you on all accounts, I am no fanboi, I have products from just about every competing party. I just want the best thing out there for the money.
I love my OG, but the battery life really sucks, worse than yours when I push it.
If the iPhone had 4G I would really consider it, but it probably wont, and the Bionic will probably have a locked bootloader which in turn means a helava lot less support than the OG will come, and the atrix is for ATT which sucks over here...

Can never have it all can you...

UNC

Reaction score
Thought about it and this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the iPhone. Canceling the early upgrades is to save them $$$ on equipment. Subsidizing the equipment is not making them any money (they lose some) so they have to make it worthwhile on their end. How? Force you to keep it 2 years before you get another subsidized piece of equipment. You want to upgrade..pay full retail for it. There is a demand and if people have to wait 2 years they may just pay full retail.

2 weeks is plenty time to figure out if you want a device or not. Using it for a whole month causes a lot of wear and tear on the device. They recirculate that equipment.

I keep repeating similar. A lot of people seem to have misconceptions about VZW and how a carrier NOT in the business of selling phones (for profit) operates.

Actually, the NE2 should have been cheaper for VZW because the subsidy costs them comparably less on a per month basis. I think they are simply trying to streamline their operations/choices to provide better overall service and satisfaction. If this site is any indication, people feel left in the dust a few months after their purchase when a better phone comes out and throw a hissy fit when they can't get an early upgrade or have to wait. Not to mention, people do move or chase the latest phone and eventhough ETF's are justified (though probably exhorbitant) it's not a good way to build loyalty.

I don't think ETFs are exhorbitant. They are a product of people cheating verizon by picking up BB Storm with new contract, cancelling, paying the then-low ETF and selling it on Ebay for profit. Then doing it over again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

BGKris

Reaction score
I've been thinking guys. Im probably going to get the bionic. I was thinking of going back to att for the atrix but i think newer phones will hit later this year for verizon that might be better then the atrix. So you sign a two year with att then something comes out better later on verizon....am I making sense here? Lol it never ends

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I've been thinking guys. Im probably going to get the bionic. I was thinking of going back to att for the atrix but i think newer phones will hit later this year for verizon that might be better then the atrix. So you sign a two year with att then something comes out better later on verizon....am I making sense here? Lol it never ends

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

Yea, doesn't hurt to wait. But if you're okay with At&t and its an option, I say go for the Atrix 4G. Such a great device.

ipawd1

Reaction score
I have a STRONG feeling they are going to release the iphone and the Thunderbolt on February 3rd...Just a gut feeling.

And I'm going with the Thunderbolt.

joker402

Reaction score
Screw the iphone, bionic is all I need.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kingsway8605

Reaction score

And in 6 months the Bionic will be running a dated OS and you won't be able to do a self upgrade because moto locked the bootloader (with the sole intention of making your phone feel dated quickly). Apple supports their phones for years, I will sure be switching over.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

altimax98

Reaction score
android 2.2 is far from outdated, and in my opinion 2.3 is not all that good..

Plus motorola had supported the D1 for a year now with 4 major os updates. I think thats hardly anything to complain about, and just because its locked down doesn't mean its useless

Sent from one of those missing Droids

joker402

Reaction score

And in 6 months the Bionic will be running a dated OS and you won't be able to do a self upgrade because moto locked the bootloader (with the sole intention of making your phone feel dated quickly). Apple supports their phones for years, I will sure be switching over.

more like in 6 days i will be running a custom rom with everything i need, bootloader or not roms will be avalible

kingsway8605

Reaction score

more like in 6 days i will be running a custom rom with everything i need, bootloader or not roms will be avalible

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the locked bootloader. The roms you see for the DX are actually skinned stock roms. Once moto stops decides they want you to buy a phone (history says 6 months after release), there will be little innovation in terms of DX roms.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
android 2.2 is far from outdated, and in my opinion 2.3 is not all that good..

Plus motorola had supported the D1 for a year now with 4 major os updates. I think thats hardly anything to complain about, and just because its locked down doesn't mean its useless

Sent from one of those missing Droids

The motorola droid 1 was basically a google phone made by moto. The milestone, the non-google droid 1 so to speak, will never even see froyo. Look at the shelf life of these phones in terms of time, the droid one is only a little over a year old. The 3gs will receive upgrades for 2-3 more years, while the droid 1 is end of lifed.

PikaCane

Reaction score

Apple supports what they feel like supporting, until they decide that it's obsolete. Its usability is irrelevant in that decision. Ask someone with a G5 Power Mac about that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the locked bootloader. The roms you see for the DX are actually skinned stock roms. Once moto stops decides they want you to buy a phone (history says 6 months after release), there will be little innovation in terms of DX roms.

As do you honestly....they are not skinned stock ROMs at all, written just like any other ROM and completely their own.....just minus the kernel. And as far as being so scared of moto releasing updates, improvements can still be written into a custom ROM if someone is willing to put fourth the work.

It's a big deal mostly because it's been made a big deal.

joker402

Reaction score

and my point is they work for me, maybe not for you or anyone else but they work for me

good luck with the iphone every one has thier prefrence, i prefer android because it does what I need, and its getting closer, and closer doing every single thing iOS does