Droid Bionic heading towards Verizon

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The XOOM definitely has some top notch features - but I don't see myself splurging on one, priorities lined up and the Bionic comes first...my Droid Classic is starting to show it's age :)

ipawd1

Reaction score
Okay...this is sickening. Does Verizon really have the nerve to send me an email bragging about the thunderbolt...yet there are no details on a plan, or release date....?

The hell are they thinking?

porkbrains

Reaction score
Maybe it's the Eris-owner-paranoia in me, but the whole 512 RAM realeasing at the same time as an almost identical phone but with twice RAM thing makes me concerned that this will be the first to obsolescence... But when will that be? 20 months? 10 months? At least I know I'll only be renewing for a 1-year.

Maybe it's the part of me that used to think aliens are running the gov't, but Verizon pushing out a bunch of slightly updated versions of months-old devices (With 4G!!! :p oregonians don't care) while simultaneously pulling the NE2 (While other carriers get the actual top-of-the-line stuff) and offering this half-as-powerful (albeit amazing) Dual-Core Droid sure seems like a forced EOL maneuver to get people buying more phones in a few months.

Sorry, I needed to vent... :blush:

Perhaps Eris owners should start a support group on here to share our prematurely-obsolete-tech fears. I mean, the Cyanogen team, kaos, etc. rescued the braver of us from the void.. but still. If a company wanted my business in a snap, they'd do some sort of OS update guarantee where you could get a reasonable discount on an upgrade without a bunch of weird contract extensions if your phone is made EOL within 6 months of release.

Okay, I think I feel better now. At least I don't have a Storm. The Eris can make it a few more months. I do have Gingerbreadish.. I know it's impossible to have a top-end phone for more than a few months, but getting left behind before Summer ends when you get a phone for yourself for Christmas is not so cool..

This was a rough day. I really expected to be seeing a VZW device that would assuage my fears.. Instead, I'm not sure what I saw. The best network not getting the best phones is kind of unbelievable.

Whatever I decide to get, I think I'll get one for punk.kaos too, so at least I'll know he will make the best of it if it gets Eris'd.

I'm mostly kidding, but... Seriously?! AT&T and TMo win the Android phone category at CES?! What is the world coming to?

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Omg yes

I want this phone does anyone know about a release date and how much it will set you back $$$.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
IMO the Eris was old news when it was released. I mean look at the processor that it had. I'm not sure why people were buying it in the first place.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Right now all we can do is speculate because all the guys at Verizon could say was they haven't decided or aren't going to comment on it right now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

chuckz28

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that even though it is only 512 mb ram it is DDR2 ram as opposed to the standard DDR. Should make a bit of difference but I am upset that the Atrix gets twice that.

BGKris

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that even though it is only 512 mb ram it is DDR2 ram as opposed to the standard DDR. Should make a bit of difference but I am upset that the Atrix gets twice that.
Yeah, not fair I say! :D But at least I'm month to month on Verizon, so my options are open.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

But if half that 1gig is dedicated to the docking functionality there is effectively no difference between the two. The two are differentiated to keep VZW and AT&T happy, but VZW gets LTE and AT&T gets the docking (which does appear more gimmick than value).

However, the point stands that the Bionic COULD have had 1gig but instead they gave us a reach around.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Stupid question...Since the Bionic and Atrix are basically the same phone, do you think there's any potential for swapping out the 512ram chip with 1 gig? Stinker is probably same chip but Atrix has a 2nd slot.

BGKris

Reaction score

But if half that 1gig is dedicated to the docking functionality there is effectively no difference between the two. The two are differentiated to keep VZW and AT&T happy, but VZW gets LTE and AT&T gets the docking (which does appear more gimmick than value).

However, the point stands that the Bionic COULD have had 1gig but instead they gave us a reach around.

What if the phone wasn't locked and you were able to flash the firmware with gingerbread thus making use of the full 1GB. Now that's shweet!

wolfpack219

Reaction score
I was excited for this event until I saw the new phones for Verizon that just aren't that big a jump over the DX! So since my contract was up I went and picked up a DX! This phone is blazing fast and this screen is amazing. No it doesn't have a dual core but I saw the video of the motorola with the T2 and it didn't look any faster. I dont game on my phone either so shouldn't be a big deal. Point is the DX is a beast and I wasnt going to wait another 4-6 months for a minor upgrade over the DX.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App