Droid Bionic Hands On Review

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Interesting....But the Bionic WILL NOT have it (if you want to read anything into the release date of the Bionic from that statement). Also explains why the Bionic has only 512ram.

I'm not sure in present form that I care about the Webtop app. However, given the potential it might make me a little leary of ponying up for the Bionic, but probably not enough to impact my purchase decision.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Not sure how this is called a "review" but nice video anyway.

Why does it only have a 1800mah battery now? Didnt it have a 1920 like the Atrix before?
can't even call it "hands-on", and the booth guy was obviously quoting a hastily memorized script without knowing what he was actually talking about.

hopefully that 1800mah is a typo.

The Battery is still 1930.00 mAh on the Bionic... These guys that demonstrate the phones at these events kill me... Some of them do not have a clue about the phone... After all the research we do on these phones we all can do a better job then these people...

diverbelow

Reaction score

Interesting....But the Bionic WILL NOT have it (if you want to read anything into the release date of the Bionic from that statement). Also explains why the Bionic has only 512ram.

I'm not sure in present form that I care about the Webtop app. However, given the potential it might make me a little leary of ponying up for the Bionic, but probably not enough to impact my purchase decision.

MotoMobile CEO "talked about the performance of the web-top accessories that seem to be getting below-average reviews on the Atrix." Still, the BIONIC was not announced with web-top accessories at CES due to “timing.” Jha pointed out that it wasn’t possible to focus on developing web-top for both devices initially and chose the Atrix as the device to launch with it.

I am hoping the Bionic will have webtop by time it is released for Verizon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

I suppose you maybe be right that he didn't say the Bionic couldn't or wouldn't get Webtop, although I also don't think that statement necessarily implies a push of Webtop to the Bionic (he could mean phones coming out in 2nd half, which would probably exclude the Bionic). But I think with only 512meg ram it's not going to happen, unless they figured out a way to run it from the SD, maybe. I just don't see really how you can run the webtop and access the native Android OS at the same time with only 512 memory.

Just one example why myself and others were very disappointed that Bionic didn't get more ram. And please don't tell me about the DDR2 (not directed at you) - more speed doesn't magically create more memory.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

MotoMobile CEO "talked about the performance of the web-top accessories that seem to be getting below-average reviews on the Atrix." Still, the BIONIC was not announced with web-top accessories at CES due to “timing.” Jha pointed out that it wasn’t possible to focus on developing web-top for both devices initially and chose the Atrix as the device to launch with it.

I think that it would get it if it had 1G DDR of Ram. But since it only has 512MB DDR of Ram I do not think it will work since with the Atrix 512MB DDR of Ram is just used for the notebook and 512MB DDR for the phone.... I am not interested in the whole laptop dock or finger print reader anyway. the laptop dock is limited. You can do more with an laptop then with the Atrix laptop dock. To me it is just gimmicks just to get people to buy the Atrix... Don't get me wrong the Atrix is a nice phone but it is just on that trash network AT&T...If it was on Verizon I would get it with out all all the laptop Dock garbage... I am going to pick up the Bionic about 2 weeks after the release..

oakvad

Reaction score

I think that it would get it if it had 1G DDR of Ram. But since it only has 512MB DDR of Ram I do not think it will work since with the Atrix 512MB DDR of Ram is just used for the notebook and 512MB DDR for the phone.... I am not interested in the whole laptop dock or finger print reader anyway. the laptop dock is limited. You can do more with an laptop then with the Atrix laptop dock. To me it is just gimmicks just to get people to buy the Atrix... Don't get me wrong the Atrix is a nice phone but it is just on that trash network AT&T...If it was on Verizon I would get it with out all all the laptop Dock garbage... I am going to pick up the Bionic about 2 weeks after the release..
I agree. Laptop dock does nothing for me, if I want to use a bigger pc ill use my laptop if I want unlimited power ill use the computer I built. A phone is a phone, internet on my phone is an awesome feature for when your out and about or at work and gonna kill time.
I will probably wait at least a month or more after its release, till its rooted at least.
I just got my X less than a month ago to at least hold me over.
And I'm really havin a hard time seeing what all the hype is over the TB.
The bionic seems like it is the first of the next gen of phones for VZW, all the TB seems to be is a revamped evo

diverbelow

Reaction score

I am also not interested in the netbook dock but the fingerprint scanner might be nice to have (since I have a toddler and she has my old Droid). We will have to wait and see if the Bionic would get webtop. There was a post going around that Atrix was coming to Verizon this Christmas.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I think that hardware wise this is one of the best options to go with on Verizon.
Should upgrade the OS and a stronger battery would be nice.

nmos

Reaction score
If I understand the Engaget review of the Atrix docks correctly they have basically built an entire small computer into the docks. While I certainly understand the value of hooking a smartphone up to a larger display and keyboard, that seems like a bizarre way to get there.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I question the longevity of Webtop to begin with. Seems like future versions of Android should/will have that feature stock. I'm pretty sure Chrome OS is eventually coming to Android in some form, and it likely will be lighter and more efficient than Webtop.

Drosul

Reaction score
On-board, customers will find 16GB in storage, while on the sales package there'll be a 16GB microSD memory card, totalling in 32GB for usage.

I was under the impression that the Bionic came stock with 16g, and no mSD card, but was compatible with up to 32g mSDs... Allowing for a potential 48g storage... Is this no longer the case, or was this 16g stock + free 16 mSD included that you refer to as part of some special promotion?

I ask, because one of the primary things I did with my driod, and that is attracting me to the bionic is the ability to store/watch movies at my leisure, and also potentially play them via hdmi out.

Thanks..

-Dro

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fixed the embedded video - should seem like more of a review now :)

...and yes, it supports up to 32GB MicroSD - it just ships with a 16

adsfa34

Reaction score
yeah....looks meh. i'll stick with my og droid a little while longer...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
16GB internal + 16GB microSD!

What an improvement over the 200 some MB we got from the OG Droid!