Droid Bionic Bricked? Water Damage and Recovery Question

grizliez

Reaction score
I accidentally took my Bionic swimming, entering a pool while forgetting it was in my pocket. It has been dried but I am having troubles booting up all the way. It kept getting into a boot loop and I am trying to recover it. I've tried installing a number of updates to see if anything would work. With the latest attempt, I have successfully (to a point I guess) installed the VRZ_XT875_5.9.902XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01 update using RSDLite. I wiped the whole thing before installing this one as I wasn't as concerned about my old data as I was about whether I could even get it to work again, being that I don't have the insurance.

After Flashing the code listed above, it boots until I get the Welcome to Android screen with the 'touch to continue'. If I touch it, I get the standard 'please wait, this may take a few minutes' message, but whether I touch it or not within a minute it starts to reboot again. It does this over and over until I pull the battery. The only other thing to note is that the signal bars have a red circle with a diagonal bar, to me indicating that there is no signal.

I'm guessing it is permanently damaged from the water, or I have really screwed it up now, and I will not be able to get it be fully functional again, but I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas before I gave up. Even if I couldn't get the antenna to pick up a cell signal and I need to get a new phone, I figure if I can get it to boot all the way I may be able to repurpose it as a MP3 player or something.

So, any ideas of things I should try before giving up?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it sounds like its got some issues . how long has it been since it went for a swim?

JoshuaTucker

Reaction score
If it went for a swim recently, try putting it in some instant cook rise. That can help get some of the moisture out. Hopefully that will help!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Chlorine is a great conductor of electricity, it could be that a residue from the chlorine has shorted something out... not good...

You could try an isopropyl alcohol (90%) bath.... but this may do more damage(screen) or not help at all.

Since your device has a removable battery, i'd let it dry out some more, battery removed... in rice possibly.. a day or two, then try it again..

Good luck :(

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
G

grizliez

Reaction score
dryed out

I took it for a swim on July 4. Was in the pool for less than a minute but it was fully submerged so everything got wet. Used Rice for three days, two of those also with two large desiccant packs made for gun safes. The shop I took it to also put it in their drying machine for a day. Screen dried nicely, looks great with one little water spot.

As stated, I'm guessing it is fried. Just interesting how I can get so far with installing code and booting, but without making it all the way to a full boot.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i am thinking it fried .. sorry .