Droid Bionic Boot-up Video & SpeedTest

Reaction score
Of course, I'm referring to the European version with the ASSUMPTION (which may, admittedly, be a wrong one) that the U.S. version will be the same.

Either way, their are pros and cons to both phones. Not saying the S2 is superior. Just saying the Bionic takes longer to boot.

Well, the EU version had to boot fast, it knew that Apple was going to be shutting it down soon.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Well, the EU version had to boot fast, it knew that Apple was going to be shutting it down soon.

Attempting to shut it down, and yet again failing miserably. A patent on how the gallery works? Psh. Software fix by tomorrow.

Anyway, maybe the SII is faster, maybe it isn't. Either way, without Verizon's LTE service it is in no way an option for me, since my apartment complex oddly enough has spotty 3G service but great LTE service. Plus, if the U.S. versions of the SII are anything like the U.S. versions of the original S, people will be waiting for OS updates long after Moto's phones have them.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Attempting to shut it down, and yet again failing miserably. A patent on how the gallery works? Psh. Software fix by tomorrow.

Anyway, maybe the SII is faster, maybe it isn't. Either way, without Verizon's LTE service it is in no way an option for me, since my apartment complex oddly enough has spotty 3G service but great LTE service. Plus, if the U.S. versions of the SII are anything like the U.S. versions of the original S, people will be waiting for OS updates long after Moto's phones have them.

Perfect example of what I was suggesting. Even if the S2 is faster, speed is not the only thing to take into consideration when deciding which phone (the Bionic or S2) is best for any particular individual user.

King_Bean

Reaction score
Is it just me or did the transition from the homescreen to the drawer seem to take a while? My CM7 X with ADW launcher is faster.

I noticed it too. With the S2, there's virtually zero lag when transitioning between different phone functions. Of course, the Bionic is plenty fast for most users' needs. I wish it was as fast as the S2 but even if it's only slightly slower, it might be worth it to have LTE.

creaky

Reaction score
I noticed it too. With the S2, there's virtually zero lag when transitioning between different phone functions. Of course, the Bionic is plenty fast for most users' needs. I wish it was as fast as the S2 but even if it's only slightly slower, it might be worth it to have LTE.

Agreed, LTE is a make-or-break for me on the next phone and as much as I'd like the SGS2 to have it, I don't think it is going to happen.

But, I have a feeling that the dev community is going to really get behind the bionic. So, it should be quite speedy once the custom ROMs and memory tweaks start rolling out. I take it on faith that a phone as big as the Bionic will be rooted fairly quickly - just an assumption, however....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty laggy, although it may just be cuz it was just started up...I still want this phone, but my interest is waning with each passing day haha

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
[rant] I think I will be just glad when this phone comes out just so I don't have to see headlines about it anymore hehe. Nothing against the device, it could actually be my next device. But after 8 months or so of headlines I am ready to not see *Bionic pictured in Bed Bath and Beyond, photos taken by a VGA camera from far away fully zoomed in* headlines for a while. [/rant]

King_Bean

Reaction score
[rant] I think I will be just glad when this phone comes out just so I don't have to see headlines about it anymore hehe. Nothing against the device, it could actually be my next device. But after 8 months or so of headlines I am ready to not see *Bionic pictured in Bed Bath and Beyond, photos taken by a VGA camera from far away fully zoomed in* headlines for a while. [/rant]

hahahahaha...+1

I'm so bored with blurry, weird-angled "leaked" pictures and rumored specs, I don't know what to do. Every day I come to this forum and there's no good new news and I can do little more than just yaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwn.

Reaction score
Seriously? Speed test? I would kill for a quadrant standard or linpack test. Just to see where it stands

Sent from my Charge using DroidForums

tribeguy1971

Reaction score
Not for nothing but for a bunch of tech savvy geeks I can't believe noone caught the mathematical error on page 1 . He claims if the boot time is all the way up to a minute and it happens twice a month that would be what , like 12 times a year ? Found it funny that that has slipped for 3 pages . . . Lol . But seriously who cares how long it takes , most people do their original boot up and aside from dead battery or tinkering with the os how many times will you really worry about it ? I need the damn phone to just be released (bug free) so I can get out from underneath this damn backup phone (devour) since I sold the battery killer otherwise known as a top 5 piece of technology to avoid Thunderbolt . Bring me some Bionic love already ! ! !

Sent from my Devour using DroidForums

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or we noticed but didn't see a point in flaming him because the number's aren't what was important, the point was. Saving 6, 12, 24, or even 60 minutes over the course of a year is rather insignificant. It's the difference of savings of 0.00114% or 0.00095% over the course of a year... do you think that is significant enough to call out someone for a mistake?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haha, realized I shifted my decimal one too many.... 0.0114% (Saving an hour) or 0.0095% (saving 24 minutes) over the course of a year, still rather minuscule if you ask me

tribeguy1971

Reaction score
just being a ball-buster , no flame out intended , I just notice little things like that . The point was he is spot on . As long as it's not like a 5 minute bout , then who cares . I would hope nobody in their right mind would say "I'm not buying the Bionic cause it takes 12 seconds longer to boot than the SG ok" . That would simply be ridiculous reasoning , am I wrong ?
Sent from my Devour using DroidForums

King_Bean

Reaction score
Or we noticed but didn't see a point in flaming him because the number's aren't what was important, the point was. Saving 6, 12, 24, or even 60 minutes over the course of a year is rather insignificant. It's the difference of savings of 0.00114% or 0.00095% over the course of a year... do you think that is significant enough to call out someone for a mistake?

And the point in stating that the S2 boots faster is to say that the S2 is just a faster phone, overall. It's not so much about the boot time specifically as it is about the fact that the S2 is just a snappier phone. No one cares about saving 60 minutes over the course of a year, including myself (and a faster boot time is not a huge deal, but it is a nice convenience).

Of course, the speed comparison is not 100% fair because it is based on the few videos we've seen of the Bionic. We'll really know whether or not the S2 is faster once the Bionic actually comes out but I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that the S2 (assuming it isn't different from the European version) is going to be the faster of the two phones (except where LTE is a factor, of course). Of every S2 video I've watched, that thing is blazing. Can't say the same for the Bionic. The Bionic looks fast but not S2 fast. And this is fine for most users' needs (including myself) just as long as lag and redraw don't get worse with time.

However, all that being said, I prefer the Bionic over the S2 (slightly) because of LTE.