Droid Bionic 1gz processor?

bplewis24

Reaction score

Phil Nickinson from Android Central just posted this audio recording of Jha. In the recording, Jha says the Bionic will feature LTE and a dual core ghz processor. I'm wondering if he means 1ghz processor...what do you guys think?

If it's the OMAP 4430 as rumored then it will undoubtedly have a 1.0 GHz processor.

Brandon

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Phil Nickinson from Android Central just posted this audio recording of Jha. In the recording, Jha says the Bionic will feature LTE and a dual core ghz processor. I'm wondering if he means 1ghz processor...what do you guys think?

If it's the OMAP 4430 as rumored then it will undoubtedly have a 1.0 GHz processor.

Brandon

It could be overclocked too. You never know. Maybe that's what's holding up the release.

GBH2

Reaction score

Sure sounds like 1GHZ, but honestly 1GHz or 1.2GHz really doesn't make any real difference. Clock speed of the CPU is not as important as other things in the real world, like that it is a Cortex A9 and has a dual channel memory controller. If it really bothers you I will sell you my OG Droid I have OC'd @ 1.3GHz, LOL.

Brandon

It could be overclocked too. You never know. Maybe that's what's holding up the release.

Motorola doesn't realy overclock or underclock. They just buy a bunch of SOC's that are "binned" in a certain range and set them to a certain point that will balance performance and power savings. I am fairly certain that the CPU's in the 4430 and 4460 are probably the same. My only concern is that we get the bootloader unlocked for custom kernels. TI seems to be very conservative with their ratings for chips. I bet we can be running these puppies at 2.0GHz per core. :)

OP
Covington

Covington

Reaction score

Sure sounds like 1GHZ, but honestly 1GHz or 1.2GHz really doesn't make any real difference. Clock speed of the CPU is not as important as other things in the real world, like that it is a Cortex A9 and has a dual channel memory controller. If it really bothers you I will sell you my OG Droid I have OC'd @ 1.3GHz, LOL.

Brandon

Motorola doesn't realy overclock or underclock. They just buy a bunch of SOC's that are "binned" in a certain range and set them to a certain point that will balance performance and power savings. I am fairly certain that the CPU's in the 4430 and 4460 are probably the same. My only concern is that we get the bootloader unlocked for custom kernels. TI seems to be very conservative with their ratings for chips. I bet we can be running these puppies at 2.0GHz per core. :)

That sounds golden!
Crysis, anyone?dancedroid

bplewis24

Reaction score

From the factory? No, but we will be able to overclock assuming the bootloaders are eventually unlocked. Since the 4460 is spec'd at 1.5GHz and (as has already been pointed out) they are likely the same exact CPUs (which makes me laugh when I hear people getting pissed about "only" having the 4430 in the Bionic), I'm pretty confident these things will be able to OC in the range of 1.7-2.0GHz.

Brandon

alienware777

Reaction score
You never know guys. There must be a reason it's been delayed. I'm only thinking of things they could improve while the device is delayed.

It wasn't delayed. It was just a rumor that it was coming out in August.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You never know guys. There must be a reason it's been delayed. I'm only thinking of things they could improve while the device is delayed.

September isn't a summer release. I don't care if the last day of summer is the 23, no one considers September "summer." If anything, they could have said "late summer" instead of just of just summer.

Besides, now would be the perfect time to release it instead of waiting on more competition to appear from Samsung, Apple, (maybe) HTC.

anuraj1

Reaction score
If you take a look at the FCC documents, there is a specific document called "battery door report". In that document it says that they tested the Bionic's processor all the way up to 5 GHz. Crazy!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you take a look at the FCC documents, there is a specific document called "battery door report". In that document it says that they tested the Bionic's processor all the way up to 5 GHz. Crazy!

They could only get it up to 5GHz because the battery died right after LOL.

GBH2

Reaction score

September isn't a summer release. I don't care if the last day of summer is the 23, no one considers September "summer." If anything, they could have said "late summer" instead of just of just summer.

Besides, now would be the perfect time to release it instead of waiting on more competition to appear from Samsung, Apple, (maybe) HTC.

All these companies are still at the mercy of advancements in technology and the design and manufacturing process. Some people are saying how bad Motorola is for not getting this out sooner, but they are still (most likely)beating everyone else to the release of a dual-core LTE phone. If Samsung, Apple, HTC or Motorola could have released a dual-core LTE phone a month ago they would have.

There have not been delays in releasing the Targa, only incorrect rumors and speculation which got everyone's hopes up.

Although, technically Motorola will be releasing this phone while it is still summer, you do make a reasonable point that their vagueness helped to create an untrue expectation in consumers interested in this product. I am willing to bet they knew what they were doing - I bet they were upset that they had to cancel Etna and about the lost revenue, and they felt that to say nothing or to say September a few months ago would have caused them to lose a lot more potential customers. If you look at it dispassionately, no matter how annoyed some people are right now, Motorola probably made the correct choice.

They could only get it up to 5GHz because the battery died right after LOL.

That is why I would not try to run it at 5.0GHz on a daily basis! LOL ... at least not without carrying around a liquid cooling system for the CPU and a car battery to run it. :)

This does go to show that the OMAP CPU is a pretty impressive and capable CPU and why I say not to worry about the actual "shipped" clock speed. However, I do want to see evidence that we are going to be able to install custom kernels on this thing ( ~ unlock the bootloader)