droid battery used when phone is off

grumpy

Reaction score
I charged mine Friday night all night. Wifi is off. Screen brightness is at low. GPS is turned off. Display is set for 30 seconds.

Left the house at 9am. Made 3 phone calls. watched 2 you tube videos and at 6pm it was dead.

My friend who I was with has the same phone. Same settings and did the same thing as I did. His battery was at 60%.

I am headed to Verizon store to see if I can get a replacement battery. If not I will buy 1.

FSTTYMS

Reaction score
I am having battery issues too! I do a lot on the phone. I charge overnight on the dock. Auto brightness, GPS is on, using touchdown and pushing exchange mail, and nimbuzz multichat client. I mostly keep the chat and email going 24/7. Battery life is for crap though! I took off the charger this AM @ 6AM, its now 10AM and already like 75%... I old WinMo phone lasted MUCH longer in sleep mode doing those same things... I might try getting a new battery and a backup battery also... Can't go wrong with extras. I had 3 extended batteries for my old phone. Wait till peops try to thether the Droid! That's why I bought the media dock. Although they need a better one that you can plug in to the wall AND the computer at the same time, transfer data through one, and charge the droid with the other. Maybe even an extra slot in the back for a 2nd battery to charge. I had one like that for my last phone, essential if you are using it for work! Or gaming :)

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
using the usb to computer really takes a long time to charge,

plug your charger into the wall outlet and it charges fast, like 30 to 45 minutes.

hard to believe the computer wont charge it... it did on all my other phones..

Thats a limitation of USB. USB was not designed specifically for charging, so it doesn't carry as much power.

Battery works fine for me. My suggestion is to use the "power" app on there that was free. It gives you a widget to adjust/set brightness/blutooth/wifi/ etc.

If you have a lot of applications and widgets running in the background, expect it to use more power. In about every case, the screen has drained considerable mroe power than anything else ive used on the phone. I recommend using the above free widget to dim the screen brightness easily while ur indoors. This will help you save more power. When you walk back outside, you can easily turn it back up. Also, tap the power button to turn the screen off instead of waiting for the auto shutoff timer, when you have time.

managing the display screen and brightness settings is the best way to save power for this phone, as that is basically the main power drainer right there.

cheywhite09

Reaction score
I sometimes have to charge my droid twice in a day... and something is sucking the life out of it... I hardly use it.. send texts every once in a while... need help?? anybody.. how do i make my battery last longer?

DuctTape

Reaction score
This happened to me also. I thought perhaps I had made a mistake. Phone was at 100%, charged via car adapter. I unplugged phone from charger, turned it off, not standby... I powered it down. When I returned to my car 36-hours later and tried to turn on the phone, it would not turn on. I plugged it into the charger and in a few minutes it had enough of a charge to power up. I would not expect any type of electronic device to use the battery while off. Very strange.

Troy

Reaction score
Why can't you charge your phone while it's off. I'm not understanding why that's not possible with this phone.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Deleted. I was wrong and don't want to give misinformation.

Last edited:

Sleeve

Reaction score
If it's charging, why turn it off? Just shut the display off. On my Droid, the display uses 60-75% of my battery (Settings/About Phone/Battery Use). Let it sit on the charger overnight, trickling up to full after every time an app needs to pull an update.

If you've been going nuts in the android market and you're shutting your phone off, the first 15 minutes after you turn it back on all your apps are hungry for updates and they'll slam your 3G connection for 15 minutes fighting each other. Meanwhile, you're off the charger. If you're also trying to use your phone, it might even feel sluggish.

bikerboy

Reaction score
my phones battery died while downloading songs from Imusic, 20 min of downloading, battery went from 80-15%
charging it while everything off, " even emails doesn't really work " it charged 60% in an hour.... for gods sake, Iphone 3gs battery sucks but it's better than this, what am i doing wrong ? please help
ohh and using gps got me to battery alarm sound in 25 min out of full or 90%

treo700w

Reaction score
i have "advanced task killer" (free version) and it allows me to kill selected tasks that are going in the background. i'm constantly amazed at the number of apps that are "on" even when i kill them off seconds earlier.

these include "messaging", "email", "corporate calendar", "settings", "alarm clock" and others that may prevent your phone from sleeping.

when you're downloading new apps from market, note the info during download... it will tell you how it will access your phone... and how it may prevent your phone from sleeping.

even though you think nothing is running, there are many apps going in the background.

bikerboy

Reaction score
but i thought apps in background isn't a big deal ..... confusing, why would motorola say it will be on 7 hour talking time if the phone dies less than an hour navigationg ?

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
but i thought apps in background isn't a big deal ..... confusing, why would motorola say it will be on 7 hour talking time if the phone dies less than an hour navigationg ?

There's a lot more going on navigating including:

• updating your position at regular intervals
  • downloading and refreshing maps
  • pretty active display updates
  • voice directions
  • etc

plus all the normal phone stuff which becomes more intensive as you're moving.

I'd like longer battery life as much as anybody but the phone can do a lot and using it to its full capabilities is going to take a lot of juice.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Navigation doesn't kill the battery to the extent bikerperson is saying. If that was the case my battery on orange wouldn't have lasted after I used turn by turn directions to 3 different locations... over 1hr and 30 min of driving time before I got home.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Navigation doesn't kill the battery to the extent bikerperson is saying.

Agreed, I've used it for more than 4 hours without killing the battery. Just pointing out that if he wants really long battery life, get a phone that's just a phone. For me and the way I use my Droid, battery life is fine although I'd obviously like it to last longer.