Droid Battery Help Please

Lellis7motox

Reaction score
I just got my new droid incredible the other day and i love it. But, the battery life is ridiculous. I have to turn it off when i'm not using it just to make it through the day. I have app killers and stuff.

Anyway, what is a good replacement battery that will give me the most time? dancedroid

Adroid system 46%
Phone Idle 19%
Cell Standby 14%
Display 12%
Angry birds 9% :laugh:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I learned to make the most out of my battery on my Incredible.

First off, get rid of that task killer, it's probably causing more drain than anything.

Second, I dont know how much you check social networking and anything that auto-updates, but try to extend those interval times or turn them off altogether. I have my facebook app and email all turned off in terms of auto-update. I just refresh them whenever I check them.

Third, there really is no need to check your phone every 5 minutes, this is the mistake I did the first week of ownership. The display really kills the battery on the Incredible.

Fourth, go to settings--> applications ---> running services, and turn off whatever you don't need running.

I also recommend you download JuiceDefender, it really helps with battery life. Instead of explaining, since there is alot to explain, i say oyu just download and find out for yourself.

If I begin the day with a full battery and lightly use it I'll probably have about 80-85% left. If I have a day when i really use it, looking at around maybe 40-60% at the end of the day. The main thing i did was not check my phone every 5 minutes, that really kills your battery.

Angry Birds will kill your battery very quickly...believe me...lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There aren't really any quick fixes with battery life. Replacing your battery is fairly pointless unless your battery is faulty or you're looking at an extended battery that offers significantly more mAh.

The effective approach is always to look at your specific usage and to address your battery hogs first. People always seem to overlook that their usage has a major impact on battery life. I mean, I can go for more than a day with typical usage. However, if I browse the web heavily, play a lot of games, use the GPS receiver, etc I can quickly kill my battery.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's my tips (may not be applicable to all phones):

1. (Doesn’t apply to all phones) Go to settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Enable always-on data. Uncheck always on data. Your phone will still receive email, text, & phone calls as before as well as internet usage but your battery will last a lot longer.

2. Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be no less frequent than every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

3. If you are using Live Wall Papers, stop!

4. Use wifi any time it is available. It uses a lot less power than 3G and it is much faster.

5. If there are widgets that automatically update (facebook, weather, etc.) change their update frequency in their settings menu. Set them to 30mins or 1 hour.

6. Oh, almost forgot, get the extended battery from Verizon.

7. Turn off the GPS unless you are actually using it. There are some background apps that can burn a lot of power via a live gps.

8. The Power Control Widget is a good tool for easily turning on and off some of these features (gps, wifi, screen brightness, etc.).

9. From the home screen do the following: menu/settings/About Phone/Battery Use. This graph will show the 10 biggest power users on the phone. It should always be Screen as the top user and the android os, android system, phone standby and phone idle should be the other top users. If there is an app listed you should determine if it’s an app you actually use a lot or do you have a rogue app that needs to be uninstalled.

10. Get Screebl. It will turn your phone off anytime you are not actively using it.

11. If you have either a task killer or an anti-virus app installed, you should uninstall.

Good luck.

OP
L

Lellis7motox

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I tried everything yuu guys said and it seems to be a lot better but would still like more battery... how much bigger is the expanded battery and is it still the same cool cover?

OP
L

Lellis7motox

Reaction score
Ok it's the end of the day now and it is still dieing way to quickly. I woke up fully charged my phone and turned it off until about noon turned it on, played around with it for about 5 minutes and it was asleep until about 2:30, i sent about 15 texts between 2:30-6 and was on the web for no more than 10 minutes and my phone was in the orange. It was sleeping between all the texts.

Cell Stand By - 23%
Wi-FI (i turned it on because of above ^^) - 23%
Android System - 22%
Phone Idle - 21%
Display - 7%

I have skype, gmail, hotmail, and facebook but i logged out of skype and closed that app all day. Gmail i don't see were i can set the refresh rate but i got no mail from it today. Hotmail refreshes every 2 hours and i was logged out of facebook all day as well. I would like to use all these apps but i can't just so my droid will make it back home alive. :icon_evil:

Love the phone, so i am thinking a bigger battery is my only option but like i said above, how much bigger are they and will the back cover look the same or is it different? And how much of an improvement will i see? Thanks dancedroid

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I think there's a 2140mah battery and even a 3500 mah battery. The increase is pretty much proportional to the mah readings. If the stock is 1350(?) then the 2140 would last about 50% longer than the stock one. I don't think the 2140 battery cover sticks out much farther than then stock one.