Droid backbutton vs. Iphone backbutton

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by artsnob, Sep 3, 2010.

1. artsnob

artsnob New Member

I have just completed my first mobile website. It works beautifully on an iPhone, and ALMOST does likewise on a Droid.

That “almost” is an ultra-frustrating bug that I’m afraid is hardware-based and will not permit a software solution. Allow me to state my hypothesis:

“When you perform a software redirect to another page on your website, you cannot return to a functional version of the page you were on when the redirect was launched via Droid’s hardware backbutton. You’ll have the graphics, but the code behind the form will be gone and it will be nonfunctional. The ONLY functional route back from a redirect to the originating page on a Droid is a second redirect.”

I’ve consulted the ASP.NET forums extensively and experimented endlessly with redirect option parameters, page cache settings and the pagestatepersister class in Visual Studio. Nothing works.

This is NOT an issue with an iPhone … its backbutton always returns from a redirect to a still-functioning originating page. Is my hypothesis correct, or does somebody know some workaround that will enable me to offer iPhone functionality to Droid users?
  2. artsnob

artsnob New Member

Hypothesis unchallenged

More than a week, 183 views, and not a single challenge. I guess my hypothesis about the functional inferiority of the Droid's back button in comparison the iPhone's stands, although it would be nice if a company representative would make more than a tacit admission as to the validity of my claim.
  3. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

You didnt get any responses because nobody really cares. A lot of people probably don't even know what you're talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. droidman101

droidman101 New Member

Droid has a hardware backbutton. Iphone doesn't. Droid wins
  5. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Ture dat I have no clue what this guys was trying to say or ask.
  6. jmart8684

jmart8684 New Member

have no idea what this guy is talking about. my back button works fine on mobile websites and when redirecting. Fail in my book
  7. mr2man07

mr2man07 New Member

From a developers standpoint it may be a pain in the butt, but always having the physical back button there is extremely handy for consumers.

If you haven't noticed, most of android relies on these hardware buttons, to expect a swift movement to touch buttons on Android, or even Google's browser, is unlikely.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  8. artsnob

artsnob New Member

Hardware vs screen back button

If in browsing it was the full functional equivalent of the back button you use in Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome or Safari or there was a way to work around it in software, I would be very satisfied. But it isn't (I can demonstrate to anyone interested in observing a Droid shortcoming) and there doesn't seem to be.

9. artsnob

artsnob New Member

It was a long shot, but I thought that somebody in a "Droid development" forum just might. My bad. I guess it's just flamers like yourself.
  10. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

alright I'm gonna post a response, but first I'm going to post my interpretation of what you're trying to say, because it was very confusing.

are you saying that if you hit the back button your Droid, that the page you're going back to will not function correctly? (i.e. graphics show up but page interactivity is wonky)

because if that's the case, I run into that in multiple browsers all the time. not just on the Droid, but IE, Chrome, FireFox, etc.

I'm not a developer so I'm sure this is probably over my head and I'm just missing the point, but I have to admit I agree with other users who say they have no idea what you're talking about, as you didn't do a very good job of trying to explain yourself.

this forum has some of the best and brightest in the world, it sounds like you have a very small one off issue that may require an Android engineer's help to resolve, if it can be fixed at all. patience is a virtue, and trying to get in touch with google somehow may be your best bet. I'm betting moreso than this being an issue with the Droid, it's probably an issue with Android.

cheers.
  11. artsnob

artsnob New Member

thanks for a civil reply

Thank you for getting back to me in a civil manner. One flamer does not a forum make.

I guess I should have included a working example with my original post -- it wouldn't have been difficult. I was hoping that this being the Droid developer forum, there would be someone around who had successfully created a Droid-compatible ASP.NET mobile website and who would share their methodology on surmounting the problem I'm encountering. It's very frustrating when your application works perfectly on a regular browser but falls short on just ONE minor feature in a mobile browser. Upon further investigation, I believe that this problem may be centered on server-based redirects.

I can go to the mountaintop with technical problems, but only after I've totally exhausted all venues for self-help. It would seem that I've eliminated this forum as a possibility, so I'll move on.
  12. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

Jesus...why does he have to be attacked? At no point was ArtSnob anti-Android here. Whether he's for real or not he sure was polite about it.

(Edited: Removed Quote and OP Because of Flame) *New2u
  13. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

What an UNBELIEVABLE thread. I know for sure if I were a mod, who's posts I'd put in the trash can. This is a great example of how anonymity on the internet turns some people into incredible anuses.

People, think before you type. AT NO POINT was this a "Droid sucks" or an "iPhone rocks" message. Not even close. You buttheads treated a perfectly reasonable request (and afaik, a perfectly clear request) with ignorance and incredibly bad manners. If you can't help the OP, gtfo.

@artsnob: I've talked to a few Android developers who complained they've often had to figure out these kinds of issues (especially function calls) on their own. Sorry you haven't found more help here, but in all honesty, this is more a site for fanboys than developers. Of course somewhere in the middle are polite, informed Droid owners. But apparently they haven't shown up yet today.

-Matt
  14. artsnob

artsnob New Member

Thanks, gadgerants

Thanks for your asbestos (anti-flame) defense. I employed the same tone I've always used in the ASP.NET forum with no problem, but evidently, it comes across as disparaging to some of the denizens here. For the record, I am a Droid owner, and a good deal of my frustration comes from the fact that my Droid doesn't work with my application whereas the iPhone does.

Fortunately, I have a line to ASP.NET uber-guru Raj Kaimal. If he can't figure out what the problem is, nobody can. Thanks again.
  15. Bdog

Bdog New Member

I'm sorry, but even after reading through, I still can't quite understand what you're trying to get at. The back button has always seemed to work out just fine for me, in the manner that it will return me back to the previous page. Are you referring to something else that's completely over my head here?
  16. artsnob

artsnob New Member

working example

It's best if I demonstrate the problem. In a regular browser, go to www.tofilmfest.ca/tiffwidget. Press the "next" button. Then press your browser's back button (not the one in the application). Everything will be fine ... the orignal page is cleared and ready for re-use. Now try the same process with the Droid, using the hardware back button. The original page reappears, but it is non-functional unless you press refresh. With the regular browser, the page load event of the first page re-fires when you press the browser back button; with the Droid, it doesn't. All I'm looking for is back button consistency between both kinds of browsers. (Note: this problem may be limited to server-based redirects such as this application uses.)
  17. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

Are you on 2.2 on your droid? Because I am, if that matters. And I just went to your site you gave as an example, and did what you said, and when I hit the hardware back button, I see the page loading bar reload, and the page is completely functional. Maybe it was just 2.1 that was giving you problems.
  18. Bdog

Bdog New Member

Went to the site and it works just fine. Going back and everything is fully functional. I'm using Dolphin Browser. Perhaps you're using the stock Browser and it's the issue, not the Droid.
  19. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

Nope , my test was done on the stock browser on a stock phone lol well I guess that's worded wrong. I used stock 2.2 browser and everything worked as normal, fully functional.
  20. Bdog

Bdog New Member

Sorry Yakuzagang5, I was directing that to artsnob. :p
Search tags for this page
asp.net website isuues in iphone back button

does the iphone 5 have a back button

why doesnt iphone 5 have a back button

why doesnt iphone have a return option or button like a droi