Droid Aviators

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
View attachment 4176

To those in the aviation industry, whether you are a pilot, aircraft mechanic, engineer, working for the airlines, military, a civilian company: What do you use your droid for, what apps work good for your job, what phone was you using before the droid and how has or hasn't it help you with your job. What feature or app would you lije to see to help you with your job.
&sid=0a281096c560b435f1e64eb692ff0826

rotordroid

Reaction score
I'm a HEMS pilot and use: ForeFlight Weather, QuickWeather, and SunMoon (for NVG ops). I also use the browser to access the ADDS HEMS NOAA website to get a look at the ceiling/Flight Category info since I can't run the java-based tool directly on the phone.

I was using an iTouch before but really missed not having broadband. The weather can really change when you're stuck in the hospital for an hour or so and this phone is great for keeping me updated.

I would really like to see a good weight and balance application since I currently use spreadsheets to do that (DocumentsToGo). I would also like a Lat/Long converter since I never know what the ground units are going to use and the ships GPS is in degrees, decimal minutes.

I'm working on writing a GPS conversion program like the iPod program I used but it's slow since I'm new to this.

Fly Safe

thatguychuck

Reaction score
I used to work fixed wing EMS. The apps were nice to kill time, but the biggest plus for me was the browsing experience. Being able to access full sites with a physical keyboard made all the difference.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its nice that united is putting wifi on their aircraft, hope more airlines follow that trend.

flyboy472

Reaction score
I would love to see an app that was similar to runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com, with offline maps (stored on the SD card) that was usable in airplane mode (used the REAL GPS instead of the aGPS). In other words, an app that would allow you to use the phone as an aviation moving map GPS.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nashville huh, Im from clarksville tn

Gulfstream

Reaction score
I'm in Savannah, GA...I work at a large Service Center for corporate/business jets and have to track my inbound aircraft. I use Flightaware which does have a mobile site and it's not bad, but I would really like an app. I also use Unit Converter quite a bit too, the Rolls Royce Manuals like the metric units...I don't.

dpk1nba

Reaction score
I'm a HEMS pilot and use: ForeFlight Weather, QuickWeather, and SunMoon (for NVG ops). I also use the browser to access the ADDS HEMS NOAA website to get a look at the ceiling/Flight Category info since I can't run the java-based tool directly on the phone.

I was using an iTouch before but really missed not having broadband. The weather can really change when you're stuck in the hospital for an hour or so and this phone is great for keeping me updated.

I would really like to see a good weight and balance application since I currently use spreadsheets to do that (DocumentsToGo). I would also like a Lat/Long converter since I never know what the ground units are going to use and the ships GPS is in degrees, decimal minutes.

I'm working on writing a GPS conversion program like the iPod program I used but it's slow since I'm new to this.

Fly Safe

Here you go:
Weight and Balance Calculator - Appventive
:icon_ banana:

deputc26

Reaction score
I'm flight instructing and I use My Tracks to examine student's ground tracks for ground ref and IFR flights. Also tons of weather tracking apps.

Canadroid

Reaction score
I've thought of dozens of uses I COULD put it to, but sadly it's all prohibited around my water cooler.

I'm in aerospace mfg for a company that isn't exactly kosher with me lugging a D2 around on the AP taking pictures or notes and whatnot. Little too much proprietary stuff around.

pc747, is your screen handle referencing what I think it is? :biggrin: