Droid attached to Wi-Fi; How to change the device name

mydroyd

Reaction score
Hello helpful folks,

Was hopoing this was an easy fix that someone might be able to help with. When I connect to my home network using my various computers and idevices, they all show up attached to my router by their computer name (though admittedly the iTouch just shows iPod5, or iPod6 or somesuch, and not what I actually named it, such as "Jake's iPod"). However when I connect to my home Wi-Fi with using either mine or my wife's Moto Droid, it just shows up as "<unknown>". There is no way to edit this in the router control panel, as it is what is being transmitted by the device. Any ideas on how to change my Droid's device name? Thanks.

duel007

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure this out as well, I keep close track of the devices using my network and it's a pain to go through all my devices manually.

Also adding, my iPod Touch shows up using the name I set in iTunes, I'm surprsied that yours doesn't.

Last edited:

jy2042

Reaction score
To change the name of my device as it shows up on the network, I had to root, install busybox and write a script that calls "busybox hostname [new_device_name]" after it boots up. This method requires root and an app called autostart (root). I'm not sure if there is a better way at this point to set it once and make it permanent without requiring a script to run after booting up. This is just the method I've used and has worked for me.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've never had that issue, though I'm surprised. Even the westell 7500 given by vz lets one edit the name of a connected device.

But even so, as far as network tracking goes, if it won't then what I would do is simply note your Droids Mac addy, then set your router to assign it the same IP (should still be able do so even while using dhcp), in that manner you would still be able to track it.

What routers are you guys using?

duel007

Reaction score
I'm using a Verizon MiFi 2200 as well as a WRT54G. If I have to jailbreak to do this, I'm not going to bother because the 2.1 for Eris hasn't been rooted yet.

Mech_Man

Reaction score
I have the same question from a similar problem. I like to use the WiFi's you can find all over the city, but many are not named with a distinctive name.
I would like to rename the network that has an ID of Internet" or Netgear" to something more useful.

drowe

Reaction score
I have the same question from a similar problem. I like to use the WiFi's you can find all over the city, but many are not named with a distinctive name.
I would like to rename the network that has an ID of Internet" or Netgear" to something more useful.

You can't do that. That is the SSID that is set in the router.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

You can't do that. That is the SSID that is set in the router.

You can if it's Your Router.....

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thank god for those ID10T's! If they don't know how to change the name, they also don't know how to set security, hence they become hot spots for those who can connect.

If you want to help them out, go to the issueing gateway address and try the default logon once connected, you can then change it for them! :)

Try something like:

This space intentionally left blank - Works on netgear

I did your (daughter, sister, wife, etc) - did this to an annoying neighbor once.

Hackers welcome!

You get the picture.

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score

Thank god for those ID10T's! If they don't know how to change the name, they also don't know how to set security, hence they become hot spots for those who can connect.

If you want to help them out, go to the issueing gateway address and try the default logon once connected, you can then change it for them! :)

Try something like:

This space intentionally left blank - Works on netgear

I did your (daughter, sister, wife, etc) - did this to an annoying neighbor once.

Hackers welcome!

You get the picture.

Speaking of ID10Ts, my neighbor has her network unsecured and uses her first and last name as the name of her network.

sumuller

Reaction score
Hello helpful folks,

Was hopoing this was an easy fix that someone might be able to help with. When I connect to my home network using my various computers and idevices, they all show up attached to my router by their computer name (though admittedly the iTouch just shows iPod5, or iPod6 or somesuch, and not what I actually named it, such as "Jake's iPod"). However when I connect to my home Wi-Fi with using either mine or my wife's Moto Droid, it just shows up as "<unknown>". There is no way to edit this in the router control panel, as it is what is being transmitted by the device. Any ideas on how to change my Droid's device name? Thanks.

To set the wireless device name on a Netgear RangeMax DualBand Wireless N Modem Router:
(1) login
(2) On left hand menu, scroll down to "Advanced" settings and click on "LAN setup"
(3) Middle panel will show LAN details, look for "Address Reservation" and if no addresses were reserved before, you will see only table headers for:
# IP Address
Device NameMAC Address
(4) click on the "ADD" button and a table with existing connected devices will show
(4.1) for a device already on the list:
(4.1.1) select the radio button for the desired device with MAC address matching phone's MAC address (Android Mac Address found in Settings/Wireless Networks/Wi-Fi Settings, click menu button and click Advanced)
(4.1.2) IP address, Mac Address and Device Name fields fill in automatically, change the Device Name from UNKNOWN to its new name
(4.1.3) click ADD, enter login and password and phone device shows now named
(4.1.4) repeat 4.1.1 - 4.1.3 to reserve address (change device name) for more devices on the LAN list
(4.2) for a device not on the list:
(4.2.1) type in the IP address, MAC address and desired Device Name
(4.1.2) click ADD, enter login and password and phone device shows now named
(4.1.3) repeat 4.1.1 - 4.1.2 to reserve address for more devices on the LAN list
(5) click APPLY button
(6) logout from Netgear router

Now do the happy dance

:icon_ lala:

zero7404

Reaction score
the OP started this topic over a year ago, but i stumbled upon it while looking to change my phone's hostname ....

i have my router secured wpa2, mac filtering, DHCP reservation, as many security features i can enable on a dir-825. all my clients have names i set myself but the phone kept appearing with the generic android_xxxxxx....

so i found how to change the hostname directly on the phone, must be rooted and have android terminal installed:

open a terminal, type these commands:

Code:
$ su
# getprop net.hostname

the preset hostname will be displayed. then type:

Code:
# setprop net.hostname whateveryouwant

where 'whateveryouwant' is the hostname you want.

done.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
the OP started this topic over a year ago, but i stumbled upon it while looking to change my phone's hostname ....

i have my router secured wpa2, mac filtering, DHCP reservation, as many security features i can enable on a dir-825. all my clients have names i set myself but the phone kept appearing with the generic android_xxxxxx....

so i found how to change the hostname directly on the phone, must be rooted and have android terminal installed:

Code:
$ su
# getprop net.hostname

Code:

done.

You my friend are awesome! Thanks, been trying to figure this out since my Uverse router won't let me change the name of android devices (yeah, weird. every other device i can tho)

zero7404

Reaction score
thanks ... i poked around online until i found something, simply posted it here for ppl.
since i moved on to cm 7, there's an option to set the host name to whatever i want without having to go thru terminal .... although i noticed sometimes that my router doesn't pick up the name i set. that was in the past. i think when i used the method above it sometimes stuck and sometimes didn't. since going cyanogen i haven't noticed this issue.

ktklein72

Reaction score

Code:
$ su
# getprop net.hostname

Code:

done.

This is very helpful to know, but it seems the change is only until you reboot your phone. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Is there any permanent option of changing it?