Droid as Retail Therapy!

Project37

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've had my eye on the Droid for some time now, but was holding off because I'd just upgraded to my BB 8330 Curve last Spring. I love my workhorse Curve (calendar, contacts, FB/Twitter, Google Maps/Talk/Voice,Wordpress, even the occasional movie) but the browsing speed/experience is a major disappointment. I liked what I saw of Droid's Dolphin browser, the Google account integration, and of course, the cool UI. The slider keyboard is great as well.

I went in to my local Verizon store last Christmas to see what the Droid pricing story was. I was surprised when the official Verizon sales rep actually discouraged me from getting the phone :)icon_eek: ?!?) saying that the price would be coming down and that I'd be better off waiting. So, I'd been checking and checking, but no go - it's still about $200 after rebate. Unless someone here knows something that I don't...?

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some major stress related to career direction (juggling work, parenthood, and grad school as well), and decided to say "aw, heck with it" and treat myself to Droid anyway as some rare "retail therapy". If the scheduling works out, then I'll hopefully be picking it up this weekend. In the meantime, I've been enjoying lurking on these boards and picking up various tips on how to get the most out of the Droid. Looking forward to "officially" joining you folks soon. :)

Big Cam

Reaction score
I literally just got my droid yesterday after having a Curve 8330 for a year and a half. I cannot encourage you enough, this phone is just 100 times the phone the curve is. The only thing I THOUGHT I was going to miss was the smooth email capabilities of the Curve, but the droid handles my gmail AND hotmail flawlessly right out of the box.

I seriously can't say enough how much better this is than the Curve, I paid $100 for mine, adn gladly would have paid $200.

You will not be sorry, I promise you.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
:icon_ banana: Welcome Project37 to DroidForums :icon_ banana:

You are going to love the DROID when you get one. I'd bet money on it. As the person above me said, it is a fantastic device. But set aside your first week of ownership, cause you won't be able to put it down :p

Welcome to the Community !! It's Great to have You HERE !!!!
We Hope you enjoy your time in the forums too !!!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Let me just go ahead and shock everyone who reads this...I paid FULL price for my Droid.

Yes. My total at checkout was over $700. Did I have the money to spend? Yes. Could I have used it for much more important things? Definitely.

However, I got the G1 shortly after it came out on T-mobile, and immediately fell in love with Android. However, the G1 didn't live up to what I thought it'd be. That didn't hold me back though. I used it for quite some time, but then I moved to an area where T-mobile doesn't exist, and had to switch to Alltel [Not a fan of At&t.]

Had the LG Tritan, and missed Android something fierce.

I live with 2 of my cousins, and one was fedup with being on his dad's plan, and the other had just gotten a job after a year of not working and wanted to get a phone, but didn't want to pay the fee for not having any credit, so I went in to add them to my plan.

We were looking at phones for them and I was CONSIDERING getting a new phone, even though I wasn't up for a new one.

As soon as I saw that the Droid ran Android, I got excited and began contemplating the purchase. Do to issues with the one cousin's dad, we didn't buy phones that day, so I came home and did some research on the Droid.

Bought it the next day.

As the others have said, it's QUITE versatile, and there are constantly new apps coming out that offer you new experiences!

I know that some people have a little bit of trouble making the switch from Blackberry, especially if they've used them for a long time, but give yourself time to get used to the change and I agree with the rest that you won't be disappointed.

As busy as you are trying improve your life and your family's, you deserve this retail therapy!!!

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
Let me just go ahead and shock everyone who reads this...I paid FULL price for my Droid.

Yes. My total at checkout was over $700. Did I have the money to spend? Yes. Could I have used it for much more important things? Definitely.

However, I got the G1 shortly after it came out on T-mobile, and immediately fell in love with Android. However, the G1 didn't live up to what I thought it'd be. That didn't hold me back though. I used it for quite some time, but then I moved to an area where T-mobile doesn't exist, and had to switch to Alltel [Not a fan of At&t.]

Had the LG Tritan, and missed Android something fierce.

I live with 2 of my cousins, and one was fedup with being on his dad's plan, and the other had just gotten a job after a year of not working and wanted to get a phone, but didn't want to pay the fee for not having any credit, so I went in to add them to my plan.

We were looking at phones for them and I was CONSIDERING getting a new phone, even though I wasn't up for a new one.

As soon as I saw that the Droid ran Android, I got excited and began contemplating the purchase. Do to issues with the one cousin's dad, we didn't buy phones that day, so I came home and did some research on the Droid.

Bought it the next day.

As the others have said, it's QUITE versatile, and there are constantly new apps coming out that offer you new experiences!

I know that some people have a little bit of trouble making the switch from Blackberry, especially if they've used them for a long time, but give yourself time to get used to the change and I agree with the rest that you won't be disappointed.

As busy as you are trying improve your life and your family's, you deserve this retail therapy!!!

I remember those days where I didnt care if I paid full price for a phone that I liked........it didnt matter to me too. Until , I lost my job and not only loosing my job , but , my fiance is a tight wad with money so those days or no more. But , I do have a DROID !!!! I got yelled at all weekend for that purchase

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've had my eye on the Droid for some time now, but was holding off because I'd just upgraded to my BB 8330 Curve last Spring. I love my workhorse Curve (calendar, contacts, FB/Twitter, Google Maps/Talk/Voice,Wordpress, even the occasional movie) but the browsing speed/experience is a major disappointment. I liked what I saw of Droid's Dolphin browser, the Google account integration, and of course, the cool UI. The slider keyboard is great as well.

I went in to my local Verizon store last Christmas to see what the Droid pricing story was. I was surprised when the official Verizon sales rep actually discouraged me from getting the phone :)icon_eek: ?!?) saying that the price would be coming down and that I'd be better off waiting. So, I'd been checking and checking, but no go - it's still about $200 after rebate. Unless someone here knows something that I don't...?

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some major stress related to career direction (juggling work, parenthood, and grad school as well), and decided to say "aw, heck with it" and treat myself to Droid anyway as some rare "retail therapy". If the scheduling works out, then I'll hopefully be picking it up this weekend. In the meantime, I've been enjoying lurking on these boards and picking up various tips on how to get the most out of the Droid. Looking forward to "officially" joining you folks soon. :)

PROJECT37...........if I am not mistaken , on the home page of this forum there is a link to amazon.com where you can purchase the MOTOROLA DROID for ONLY $109.99 (with 2 yr contract) I checked it out last night and this promotion is still going on. Go for it !!!!!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I remember those days where I didnt care if I paid full price for a phone that I liked........it didnt matter to me too. Until , I lost my job and not only loosing my job , but , my fiance is a tight wad with money so those days or no more. But , I do have a DROID !!!! I got yelled at all weekend for that purchase

Haha! Well...I was on unemployment at the time...But I DID work in aircraft, so I was making good checks from unemployment...Ha!

It really was worth it to me, because I'm VERY picky about my phone. If I have the right cell phone, I use it more than pretty much any other piece of technology that I own. When it doesn't do the things that I want it to do, I'm not pleased.

Until I discovered Android, my friends used to give me so much crap for changing phones so often, but I just couldn't find what I was looking for...

Droid is more like what I expected the G1 to be, and I wouldn't change my decision one bit if I could go back.

OP
P

Project37

Reaction score
PROJECT37...........if I am not mistaken , on the home page of this forum there is a link to amazon.com where you can purchase the MOTOROLA DROID for ONLY $109.99 (with 2 yr contract) I checked it out last night and this promotion is still going on. Go for it !!!!!

Thanks for the heads-up! I need to double-check the fine print, but hopefully you saved me a few bucks.:)

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads-up! I need to double-check the fine print, but hopefully you saved me a few bucks.:)

Glad I can help.....I did quickly go on there and only way you can see the actual price is to add the item to your shopping cart and there you will see the price of $109.99 and it does state with 2yr contract. If there is a catch to it , will you let us know ? I am having a buddy of mine jump on there in the next few days to possibly get a DROID too.