Droid as a remote!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Zero Cool, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

I want to see someone come up with a way to use a Droid as a Universal remote control! I want an app to control my TV, HTPC, CD player etc. Now this could be Bluetooth or WiFi to the PC and then IR out from the PC. something like that. Now that would be cool!
  2. Veedo

Veedo New Member

i was just thinking about this today. this would be really nifty!
  3. passtheflask

passtheflask New Member

I would love to see this but is it possible since it doesn't have the IR(think that's what it is) sensor that remotes have?
  4. hrhkee

hrhkee New Member

Remote control? Ok! But since we are wishing...

How about making it use the voice control API and have it programable?

So I can program it to find the news mix on my Dish or change the TV input to GAME or Switch off TV and Turn on Satelite via Sony head unit. Heck - I have Home Automation - dim the lights... and .. and ... and... make it control everything..... (I would love to see that commercial)

Mine comes in the morning and I can't wait.

D-R-O-I-D!!!
  5. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

You would need something like eventghost and a uirt ir blaster or a custom application.
    There are a few eventghost android clients.

There are a few vendors breaking into the iphone automation market, android is next i imagine.

EventGhost
    ThinkFlood :: What is RedEye?

Unfortunatly no one thought to add ir blasting to the slew of features in modern pda / phones.
    Its very unfortunate as a phillips pronto remote can cost you $800+
  6. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

I just picked up a Dell Gyration HTPC remote control and this gave me some ideas related to this. The Dell remote works VIA Bluetooth to a USB Bluetooth Dongle. the remote moves the mouse cursor VIA the internal accelerometer. like a WII remote. you wave the remote around and the cursor moves around the screen.

I see no reason why this same thing couldnt work for the droid. the droid has a built in accelerometer and you can buy a bluetooth dongle for $20 so if someone wrote an app that would act as a remote VIA bluetooth we would be set! wave the droid around and the mouse cursor moves around! have programmable buttons on the droid to control PC Media Center Functions just like a HTPC remote.

The dell remote even came with a USB adapter that connects IR blasters to the PC but as of yet no one seems to know where to find the driver for the thing. But im sure someone out there makes a USB to IR bug box that could be used for this application. program the droid to work through a PC to control cd players, tv's etc. and im sure it would be easy enough to program something like an Arduino board or Basic stamp type board to act as a standalone Bluetooth to IR converter...

Zc
  7. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

these things are possible.. I don't think it has an IR port so you wouldn't be able to control things via a devices normal ir remote port, but there are ways around that. There was a guy on the G1 that set something up so he could control is garage door from his phone. and another guy made a little remote control blimp that he could control with the phone. I believe he even had a cam on the blimp and could see what the blimp saw from the cam on the phone while he was fling it. it was pretty cool.. all you would really have to do is set up a computer to control the things you want to control and then write an app to interface with it and know what to do from voice commands. I know they also make something that can be used to control devices like tvs from their IR ports, the remote control system that came with my laptop had something like that.. it stuck on the devices IR port and a wire plugged into the back of the IR port for the computer. it didn't even interfere with it if you wanted to use the normal remote. So there are ways to accomplish it, you just need to get the hardware, setup a computer to control the hardware, and then make an app to interface with the computer.. depending on how much you want to control I think it could get pretty expensive, but it could probably be done a little at a time.. but we would need to find a programmer that wants to work on developing the app too.. so there are quite a few hurdles to overcome, but It think it could be done..
  8. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

if you got set up a comptuer with linux and a TV card in it with TV out to hook into a your TV there is a program called Myth TV and I think someone already made an app to control it from the phone. its not as ideal as just being able to use the hardware you already have, but the same thing could be accomplished with the right setup.
  9. GreenJeans

GreenJeans New Member

I'm using XBMC as my media center, running on my windows pc, and a modded xbox. XBMC has a built-in web and event server, so there's an android remote app for it already! Works great, can browse my media library, queue, play, and do whatever else from the droid.
  10. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

I dont want to mess around wuth Myth tv or anything else. I already have my HTPC up and running just fine so now its just a remote app.

Bluetooth is sounding like the way to go. and then IR out from the PC Via USB as the droid has no IR port. (I wonder if you could drive an IR emitter from the headphone jack? hmmmm)

anyway....now who has the chops to do this? lets talk!

Zc
  11. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

Well what OS is your HTPC running? there are a number of remote apps on the market already. run a search on the market for remote. if its a windows based HTPC there are lots of options.. gRemote looks pretty nice, but they don't seem to have any support for linux so I haven't actually tried it. but gmote worked pretty good for me.
  12. zulu99

zulu99 New Member

try this app DroidMote Server / Client

Search tags for this page
app to control tv fo droid
how to make the remote on droid x2 work to tv
how to use my droid as a remote control
i want to controle my tv with my droid
idoes moto x have remote control
infrared adapter android
infrared adapter android phone

infrared adapter for android