WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
QR2340114054.png

{{ WugFresh }}

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Nah, you don't need lookout as long as you aren't stupid. Its like on a windows computer, if you aren't downloading random things then its not a problem really. Basically just don't download from sources you don't trust and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

+1 13th angel. I was explaining that very fact as I uninstalled an anti virus on my girlfriends laptop to show her the battery and performance an anti virus robs.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Nah, you don't need lookout as long as you aren't stupid. Its like on a windows computer, if you aren't downloading random things then its not a problem really. Basically just don't download from sources you don't trust and you'll be fine.

+1 13th angel. I was explaining that very fact as I uninstalled an anti virus on my girlfriends laptop to show her the battery and performance an anti virus robs.

I would deffinately using one on windows but that's an entirely different matter. Avast is what I use, not too bad on performance and my laptop lives plugged in so that doesn't matter either. Its only linux/mac that its really safe to go without an antivirus in my opinion.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

I would deffinately using one on windows but that's an entirely different matter. Avast is what I use, not too bad on performance and my laptop lives plugged in so that doesn't matter either. Its only linux/mac that its really safe to go without an antivirus in my opinion.

+1 on that. Linux security requires real user authentication in order to do anything. On windows if there is no extra security, you can open up command prompt and make yourself an admin.. lol. But thats not to say you can't write a nasty bug to attack a linux machine, its just that, unless the attacker discovers a new security exploit to gain access without user authentication (unlikely), the user would have to initiate it... but thats where social engineering comes in. People are very good at making you click that button, or download that fake malware ridden antivirus program.. the most threatening and invasive attacks ever recorded usually were all eventually traced back to end user being deceived. Thats what its really all about in the world of malicious intent.. clever social engineering or trickery..

By the way you totally ruined my joke by not scanning the QR code I posted. :(

{{ WugFresh }}

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
fine.... ill go scan it to make you happy....

if i can figure out how to make it work with the df app....

got it..... LOL nice one

Last edited:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

got it..... LOL nice one

LOL! Totally not as funny since I told you to though. I was just hoping everyone who was following this would scan it.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

got it..... LOL nice one

LOL! Totally not as funny since I told you to though. I was just hoping everyone who was following this would scan it.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

after the post before that, why would they? especially if they read that link you posted.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

got it..... LOL nice one

{{ WugFresh }}

after the post before that, why would they? especially if they read that link you posted.

Hoping people trust the informer. Lol. I am not evil. Imagine what people would think if I actually linked them to something malicious.. lol. That would be bad news

{{ WugFresh }}

harrellj

Reaction score
Back on topic and another piece of advice: read the comments. This is especially true if you've randomly browsed to an app. And when you're done reading comments, look at the rating and the number of downloads. A 5-star rated app with 50 downloads could be a great new app, or one that has had a fake account rate it high falsely. A 5-star rated app with 20,000+ is more trustworthy, but again, could have had a bad update causing problems.

ksaul

Reaction score
Do not be confused - There are MANY apps on the droid market that are virus/malware/spyware. Just last month on CNN there was a release and pull of a developer from the market whose application(S) have infected over 500,000 phones!
The application grabs all of your passwords, user information, contacts, EVERYTHING.

What android/google needs to do is actually go over the apps and developers before they allow them to just upload anything into the market.

A virus protection is definitely something that should be included on future droid platforms...

- http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/201...-latest-sign-android-attacks-are-on-the-rise/ - "Droid Dream"

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That was only one case. Also, your confusing virus's with malware/spyware, they are waaaaaay different. Either way though it goes back to being careful what you download. The case you bring up is a perfect example of" how in the world did people actually fall for that?!?". They saw a paid app for free and grabbed it without checking the dev. So no, antiviruses do NOT need to be built into future versions of android. The answer to the problem isn't making your phone buggy and drain the battery even more. The answer is to educate people and get them away from the windows mentality of "OMG I MUST HAVE AN ANTIVIRUS OR ALL MY STUFF IS GONNA GET STOLEN".

/endrant