Droid and the Space Shuttle...

issues636

Reaction score
so i was looking in my area. i saw a bright flash that disappeared in literally like a split second (i'm saying that was the shuttle) and then i saw an airplane, but alot faster than an airplane, that disappeared after like half a minute, without getting "too far to see". it kinda just disappeared. i'm saying that was the space station. i don't know how right i am :p don't spoil my fun. lol.

no but really. what's it supposed to look like?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
8:20pm EST the shuttle Atlantis, docked with the International Space Station, streamed past overhead at around 17,500-18,000 mph (around 5 miles a second). It was roughly 200 miles overhead. It first appeared 10 degrees over the horizon, got up to 70 degrees overhead, and vanished around 10 degrees over the horizon. With a clear field of view it would have been viewable for about 6 minutes. It was about three times brighter than Venus was, which to the lower left of the moon. Due to trees nearby I watched it for probably about 2 minutes.

It was the first time I saw the space station go overhead and knew it was. I've probably seen satellites go by a dozen or so times in my lifetime

Atlantis has gone to Hubble, MIR, ISS and has been in service a quarter of a century. Pretty amazing and glad I got to see it up there at least once.

Droid assisted viewing..Droid Does.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
I use Heavens-Above Home Page You just enter your coordinates or select your position on the map. Pick your timezone and then save it. Then you select "view ISS passes for the next ten days". I bookmark that page and then you always have the latest passes available on your phone.

When you see the ISS/Shuttle, it will look like a really bright star moving across the sky. You should be able to follow it from horizon to horizon. You should be able to easily tell that it's not a jet/airplane.

Roger

KevinJ

Reaction score
When you see the ISS/Shuttle, it will look like a really bright star moving across the sky. You should be able to follow it from horizon to horizon. You should be able to easily tell that it's not a jet/airplane.

Yeah, you don't see any blinking running lights on the shuttle or the space station. I've observed/photographed it for years now.

I also use Heaven's Above.com for my predictions (I have have it bookmarked on my phone).