Droid and the alarm clock

d33p

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been using my droid for like 4 months and I nearly got the hang of it, though I really don't mod my phone other than OC.

Anyways, my question is can I still be able to use the alarm clock (and get sounding alarms) after I turn off my phone. I know this might sound ridiculous to some of you but I have used other phones that included this functionality.

And if you ask why; I have started to go to the gym early in the mornings since they have extended their work hours and I really don't like the idea of having a wireless device right under my head at nigh. :)

Thanks,
deep

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
No idea if it will power itself on, but I use it every night.
I have the multimedia dock on my nightstand and I just pop my Droid into it before I go to sleep.

Charges it and works as my alarm at the same time.

bishoy

Reaction score
I dont know if it will power itself on, but i know that the alarms will still sound even if your phone is on vibrate or silent.

OP
D

d33p

Reaction score
No idea if it will power itself on, but I use it every night.
I have the multimedia dock on my nightstand and I just pop my Droid into it before I go to sleep.

Charges it and works as my alarm at the same time.

hmm but the phone stays intact with the cell network right? I find it too much to put the phone in Airplane mode every single time.:biggrin: And when you boot the phone the next morning you wake up to a fresh memory

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Okay, I'm confused.

Why do you need the phone "right under your head"?
Can't it reside on your nightstand?

I've had many cell phones with alarm clocks built in and none of them would turn the phone on in order to sound the alarm if the phone was turned off.
I'm sure that the Droid is no different.

However lots of people misunderstand what happens when "turning the Droid off". If you just quickly push the power button the screen will go to "sleep", as it were, but the Droid is still on.
If, however, you hold the power button long enough you will get a menu that gives you the option to turn the phone entirely off. If you choose this, it will completely power down and will do nothing until you power it back up again. The caveat to that is if you plug the phone in to charge the battery it will turn itself back on. AFAIK there is no way to charge the phone if it's turned off.

If you're looking for a quick way to make the alarm quieter for a given situation I would suggest installing an app called "Profiles".
With a select few taps you can change many settings on the phone, including the alarm volume.

Good Luck.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Okay, I'm confused.

Why do you need the phone "right under your head"?
Can't it reside on your nightstand?

I've had many cell phones with alarm clocks built in and none of them would turn the phone on in order to sound the alarm if the phone was turned off.
I'm sure that the Droid is no different.

However lots of people misunderstand what happens when "turning the Droid off". If you just quickly push the power button the screen will go to "sleep", as it were, but the Droid is still on.
If, however, you hold the power button long enough you will get a menu that gives you the option to turn the phone entirely off. If you choose this, it will completely power down and will do nothing until you power it back up again. The caveat to that is if you plug the phone in to charge the battery it will turn itself back on. AFAIK there is no way to charge the phone if it's turned off.

If you're looking for a quick way to make the alarm quieter for a given situation I would suggest installing an app called "Profiles".
With a select few taps you can change many settings on the phone, including the alarm volume.

Good Luck.

Actually, if you plug your phone into the charger first then turn off the phone it will not turn itself back on.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Why would you need to put your phone into airplane mode?? Lol im so confused...

The alarm will not interrupt your cell network..why would it? So you want to completely TURN OFF your phone and still have the alarm ring? that would defeat the purpose of turning off the phone in the first place and ive never seen a phone capable of doing that.

OP
D

d33p

Reaction score
Well let me rephrase myself then, I put my phone under my pillow at night. And I really don't want the phone to be turned on at night. So I'm not talking about turning the sreen off, I meant "power off"
@DaDroidDude
Well my previous phones had the functionality. (Sony Ericsson P990i and Samsung Omnia 2)

eliassami5 got my point.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well let me rephrase myself then, I put my phone under my pillow at night. And I really don't want the phone to be turned on at night.
Pick your poison. Do you want the alarm or are you going to insist on doing things the way you've been doing them? It's up to you.

If you don't want to be bothered with alerts while you're sleeping then look into scheduling the notifications. There are at least several apps that allow you to do so based on location, time, etc.

And if you ask why; I have started to go to the gym early in the mornings since they have extended their work hours and I really don't like the idea of having a wireless device right under my head at nigh. :)
Then why put it there? I know you meant to say "a powered wireless device" but you're shooting yourself in the foot as far as finding a solution as long as you insist on keeping it powered off because it's under your pillow. If it absolutely must remain under your pillow then get an alarm clock.

You might not have but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. The Blackberry will, for example.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to power off the phone? Your phone uses very minimal juice when in sleep mode - battery should last @3 days in sleep mode.

Just put it in sleep mode. Get something like timeriffic to create a sleep profile that turns everything off except the alarm.

Or maybe he's afraid the radio waves emanating from under his pillow will give him cancer. Don't know.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Why don't you just test it out? Set your alarm out a couple minutes, turn your phone off, and see what happens.

Riveyman

Reaction score
Test complete!! it doesn't work with the phone turned off.

i was curious, my blackberry would do it.