1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid And T9 Predictive Text

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by phaze3131, Oct 28, 2009.

1. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Hey guys,

I am wondering if the droid will have t9 capabilities (unlike the iphone).

Like where its just the 1-9 numbers and the bottom would be * 0 # and where it has t9 and the ability to store words in the t9 dictionary.

Thanks!

I really hope it has this or there is a really good app for this!
  2. Droid

Droid New Member

The droid keyboard will have all the features the mytouch and g1 have. I don't think the keyboard has received improvements in 2.0 so if it wasn't there before...
  3. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

No I am talking about t9 on a 12 button normal keypad, which would have to a digital version because the droid only has hardware for the QWERTY keyboard.

This video shows exactly what I mean at minute 3:46:

I'm just so fast using t9 I know some phones that do have the software for it, I hope the droid does also.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/phaze112/Untitled-4.jpg
  4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

According to these specs, it does support T9....

Motorola Droid Specs

Technical Specifications

Network: CDMA 800 / 1900 Form Factor: Slide / Google Android OS v2.0 Dimensions: 116 x 60 x 14 mm Weight: 169 g Antenna: Internal / Dual Antenna Navigation: Touch Screen (Haptic Feedback) / QWERTY Keypad Battery Type: 1400 mAh Li-Ion Talk Time: 6.42 Standby Time: 270 Memory: 16.0 GB Expandable Memory: microSD / TransFlash Safety

Radiation (SAR): [​IMG] Imaging

Main Screen: 0 colors (TFT / Accelerometer / Proximity Sensor / Ambient Light Sensor)
    480 x 854 px External Screen: [​IMG] Camera: 5.0 MP / 4X Zoom / Dual-LED Flash / Auto-Focus / Geotagging / Video Recorder Audio

MP3 Player: VCAST Music / Rhapsody FM Radio: [​IMG] Speakerphone: Dual-Microphone Noise Reduction / Group Call Push-To-Talk: [​IMG] Multimedia

Wallpapers: 480 x 854 px Screen Savers: 480 x 854 px Ring Tones: MP3 Themes: [​IMG] Games: Android Market Streaming Multimedia: VCAST Video / YouTube Messaging

SMS: [​IMG] EMS: [​IMG] MMS: [​IMG] Email: POP3 / IMAP4 / SMTP / Gmail Chat: AOL / ICQ / Google / Windows Live / Yahoo

Predictive Text: T9
  5. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

WoW awesome ok thank you so much I can't wait!
  6. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

hm

apparently it does not have the vertical t9 predictive text in the phone as Leakdroid.com has said, they have a test unit.

"The Droid on-screen keyboard is the stock Android on-screen keyboard, so it only has the full-QWERTY mode unfortunately."

This really sucks I'm not sure how anyone is ok with this? You can use one hand using t9 just as fast as using 2 hands using the QWERTY style.
  7. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Well i don't know about you but i can type about 200 times faster with a full qwerty vs t9. It's merely what people are used to doing.
  8. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

same here, i can't t9 to save my life..
  9. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

I agree, I suck at T9. Full keyboard is a requirement for me.
  10. souljerr

souljerr New Member

I think I'd lose my mine if I had to go back to t9 for typing and input. I guess I could see the advantage of having it as an option but keyboard is the only way for me.
  11. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

t9 was out years before any qwerty keyboards were even on phones so I'd say people should be used to t9 way more than qwerty. qwerty you need 2 hands that is just flat annoying.
  12. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

yeah, but qwerty is alot easier for me to zoom through typing, even though i need two hands i can type a message about 100 times faster. t9 has been around forever, but then again so has morse code.
  13. souljerr

souljerr New Member

AM Radio was out a long time before Sirius/XM too but that doesn't mean technology can't advance. My dad still listens to the Giants play on KNBR 680 on the AM dial while I chose the MLB package on satellite radio. They both accomplish the same thing - personal choice is a good thing. I personally like the keyboard and prefer phones that have em. To each their own. :cool:
  14. miniboss

miniboss New Member

I'm going to have to teach myself how to get efficient on that keyboard. T9 is always good to have just in case you need to message with one hand.
  15. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Yea I agree... Just like windows Vista came out after Windows XP and that was soooo much better.

T9 is just easier when you need to use one hand and want to type just as fast with one hand as with 2, while not even looking either.

I mean sure Windows Vista... I mean a Qwerty keyboard where you need 2 hands to type... or a t9 touch pad where you can just fly through with one hand on the phone and one hand sipping a bottle a bottle of water... hmmm lets think what's better.

Many other phones have this capability. The droid should too, without a doubt. It's everybody who is too set in their ways to learn something more advanced and a little more complicated like T9 which is probably the reason they did not include it.

Learn something new, it might make your life a whole lot easier.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  16. souljerr

souljerr New Member

I've already done the t9 thing - didn't like it - want a keyboard. "Learn something new" Been there, done that and didn't like it.
  17. missegg

missegg New Member

I'm sure you'll be able to get a t9 visual keyboard. It's Android, I wouldn't worry too much.
  18. coronanlime247

coronanlime247 New Member

i loved t9 on my pearl back in the day. As for your question, it CAN have t9. I dotn know if it comes stock, but i saw a video the other day and on android you can install different keyboards, one of the being t9 if you want it...may take a little research, but looked pretty simple to do. Basically an app in the app store plus dling the language for the keyboard.
  19. gg7aph

gg7aph New Member

Hi,
    so I have my new Droid. I'm using the touch screen T9 method to type out texts and emails etc. However, it appears the the dictionary only pops up suggestions with the FIRST of the three letters per key. For exmaple if I wnat to type 'be' I hit 2 then 3. However, it only picks ups the 'a' on the 2 key and suggests words beginning with 'a'. In order to get to suggestions beginning with 'b' I must do a long hold on 2, select 'b' and then it will make suggestions beginning with 'b'.

Please help. This totally spoils the experience!
  20. christineluvsvzw1983

christineluvsvzw1983 New Member

Droid T-9

So the Droid market place has a few apps but the ones i've downloaded are t-9 only, they do not have word mode or predictive text included with them, nore do they store commonly used words in your dictionary. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my phone but think its a little silly they have qwerty in upright/landscape an on the physical keyboard.

SOMEONE PLEASE FIND ME AN APP THAT HAS t-9/word/predictive text. I came from the LG Dare and text so much faster that way. qwerty is starting to frustrate me.

Thanks!
Search tags for this page
android 4.1.2 t9 keyboard
droid incredible xt9
droid with t9
how to change keyboard and t9 how to get life companion off
how to shut off t9 on android phone
how to text t9 on android
how to turn t9 on a droid
how to use the dial pad for predictive text on nexus 4
myphone keyboard t9
stop predictive text on droid charge