1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid and Rogers (Canada) question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by relaxer12, Mar 1, 2010.

1. relaxer12

relaxer12 New Member

Hello,
    This is my first post here :)
    I'm currently with Rogers and I'm thinking of getting a Droid. Would it be compatible? If so, is there a specific model (euro/north american models) that I should be getting?
    Any other things I need to be aware of?
    Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Howie
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Check what Rogers operates on, cdma or gsm. Droid is cdma and Milestone is gsm
  3. jakenovak

jakenovak New Member

You'll want the Milestone, which is sold by Rogers' competitor, Telus. You can get the Euro version if you're not worried about 3G, but if you are - you'll need the NA version -- which means you'll have to buy from Moto directly or Telus.

Since you're on Rogers, you'll have to make the decision whether to buy the phone without a subsidy (~$600 CAD) or switch to Rogers in order to receive the subsidy (bringing the price of the device down to $200 CAD.

If you were to buy the phone outright, you *should* be able to use it on Rogers' 3G (since they use the same bands), but as far as receiving future Android updates and etc, you'll be pretty much limited to what came with the box, unless you do third-party modifications (which you can, since you bought it outright).

Link to Telus' website:
    Motorola Milestone? |  3G+ |  Phones |  TELUS Mobility

Moto Canada:
    Milestone Android - Social Networking Phone - Motorola Canada
  4. relaxer12

relaxer12 New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the useful info. :)

Since I signed a Rogers 3-year contract and I don't want to pay the fine so I will be stuck with Rogers.

And I guess if I want the Telus version to work with Rogers I only have to get it unlocked?

Do you have any suggestions as good places to buy Milestone except for through Telus? (Legitimate online sites work with me too.)

Thanks again.
  5. jakenovak

jakenovak New Member

Yes, you would more than likely have to get it unlocked. I know a few European carriers sell unlocked phones, but I'm not sure if that's Telus' policy or not...

Moto's Canada store didn't have any, and I only found one that is compatible with the NA 3G bands outside of the Telus store: http://www.mobilesteals.com/product.php?productid=16354

Since Telus has an exclusivity, they will have the power to hold that price until their contract is up.

Before purchasing, I would get a reconfirmation from the store that the devices they are selling are indeed unlocked.

Finally, I'd contact Rogers before you buy and let them know what you were planning to do (you should do this first as they will determine whether or not you get 3G access), get the necessary data plans, and make sure everything is OK on their end (should be).
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. relaxer12

relaxer12 New Member

Thanks alot Jake :D
    I now know I wouldn't get the wrong phone :D
    I'm looking into some vendor's sites as of now.
    Thanks again.
Search tags for this page

buy droid 4 canada

rogers version motorola milestone