Droid and Google Voice Question

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dutch_2010, Nov 2, 2010.

1. dutch_2010

dutch_2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, and thanks for any help. I am new to Android based phones and Google Voice, but am looking to purchase a device (1st version Motorola Droid most likely) to learn how things work. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but here goes:

Are there issues with this scenario (or parts of it)?

1. I purchase a Droid with no plans.
    2. I have no home phone plan, but have high speed internet.
    3. I install Google Voice on the Droid.
    4. I make and receive calls within the US with Google Voice on the Droid on my home wifi.

To take this further:

5. I make and receive calls within the US with Google Voice at various wifi hotspots around my home (starbucks, mall etc..).

I know this has been pondered by many a cheap skate, but last one.

6. I buy an unlimited data plan from phone carrier for Droid.
    7. I make and receive calls within the US with Google Voice via the unlimited data plan provided by phone carrier when not in the presence of home wifi or other wifi hotspots.

Thanks you!

2. tonydelite

tonydelite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google Voice does not use data, it uses minutes.

You need a voice plan to use google voice.

3. dutch_2010

dutch_2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. So, not going to work on a data plan provided by a carrier, phone company.

How about while on my home wifi, or at wifi hotspots?

Still paying for a home-based phone connection and would like to replace it.

Thanks.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    All you can do with Google Voice and data is text. You cannot use it to make calls as you must have cell service out to use Google Voice for calls.

You cannot use MMS with Google Voice, only SMS

5. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Those are still data.

6. dutch_2010

dutch_2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, getting confused now. So, I need a phone plan and at home to use Google voice. So Google Voice is just a way to route calls etc... although I can use it to text?

What is up with Google Voice and the marketing of "low international" rates? If I can't use Google to make calls why are they talking about low international rates?

7. NebulaOcton

NebulaOcton Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is an app to make voip calls using the Google voice service and not need a voice plan from verizon. But you need to have already gotten a gizmo5 account and it sounds like you don't have one and they aren't giving out new ones.

8. dutch_2010

dutch_2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Just not getting why Google Voice is getting so much attention. Doesn't seem to really give me anything except a way to better organize call flow. Seems like a cooler, more intuitive interface for say my TV, but I still need the underlying TV service from another provider.

Still hung up on the international calls. Why would google advertise low international calling rates when I need another service to even make the calls? Not adding up.

9. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Google voice is such an attention because one number can link an unlimited number of phones. I have a home phone, two cell phones, and several skype in numbers. Instead of giving out 3 numbers, I can give out 1 and control when each number rings, how it rings, and block people if I want with Google Voice.

Also, if you have Verizon with 10 family and friends, you can add your Google Voice number to one of the friends and family thus allowing for unlimited in/out calls (if you use the website to make the call).

Those of us that started with Google Voice back in the day were hoping for Voip/Sip like abilities (hence why Google bought Gizmo5, right?). Also yes, international calls are cheap but not as cheap as localphone.com and other providers.

10. dutch_2010

dutch_2010 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks. Coming together now. So, the international calls only go against your home or cel phones "incoming" rate becuase google voice sets the call up when you generate it from the desktop, or with the app.

Seems that Google Voice could probably offer the voip features, but is held up by their relationship with the big carriers. I love it when technology improvements are held up by greed. If Google doesn't open up that functionality eventually someone else will. If they keep it locked up they risk creating a competitor. You can't hold technology down idefinitely. Look at the cable, TV services..., their days are numbered.

11. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly - as long as you use Google Voice's website to initiate the calls, you get called with the Google Voice number (on your friends and family list) and it will not use minutes. Careful with the app though as they use dynamic numbers now instead of just your google voice number (me = unhappy about that).

Exactly, Google Voice could probably offer VOIP features but then they'd be in the same boat that Skype is in. A crap hole. lol. I am really upset how Verizon is holding back Voip.

12. NebulaOcton

NebulaOcton Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Especially since they make most of their money off a smart phone's data plan.