Droid and DroidForums Newbie

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by phatneff, Mar 24, 2010.

1. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm a Droid newbie, and I'm looking for the best way to optimize my phone. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to browse through all of these threads to find exactly what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is what is best to do to my droid (hack, root, whatever) and the easiest way to do it. I'm looking to just follow my own thread with directions on how to do what I need to do, so if you don't mind, please copy and paste from other threads in order to simplify it for me. I'm an IT consultant, so I'm technical enough, for the most part, to understand what you're talking about. However, my consulting revolves around IT for health care, so when it comes to phones, I may need to ask some more questions or get additional help. With all of that being said, if you can help me in those ways, I will be extremely grateful! Thanks in advance!

Phatneff

2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,664
  3. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    There is no "best way" as lots of people are happy with how they configured their phones and those people did so in various different ways. If it is first come, first serve then follow the links in my thread. But really....you should spend some time reading over the various options out there. Start in the rom thread and review each of the 4-5 different roms out there. But...if you wanna just jump in, just start following the directions below!

Welcome aboard!

ok, thanks to pilotcharles and my slow typing: if it is second come first serve...then follow the links in my signature:)

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome! As a former IT professional I understand your time issue. In my opinion, however, relying of someone else to educate you is analogous to implementing a new Web application without any user input or testing. We both know the outcome will be disastrous.

I think you will learn quite a bit about the device by spending time reading this tutorial
    (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html).

Mike

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    There you go Phatnef, a bunch of options. If you checked right back you would have had to only flipped a coin. Now you need to find a die and roll for a winner!

Seriously though, all of the above will get you to where you want to go. If you don't care about the behind the scenes stuff and just want to make it go, then choose Hook's option as it does it pretty much automatically for you. That will get you up and running the fastest then you can decide what you want to do, if anything, once you are there.

7. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Understandable, but in my opinion, a poor analogy. I'm not looking to get educated, but rather be suggested as to which ROM (and by whom) is better than the others. I'm open to reading people's comparisons on this thread (a comparison chart would be sweet, but would be way too much to ask). Yes, I realize that some are better than others, do more than others, etc. But when it comes down to it, I think I'm more interested in the best performance from clock speeds and kernels compared to the apps. I also understand that those processes allow for the great apps to work brilliantly and be developed.

So, so far I see DroidMod. What over-clock speed is the best? I have also seen something out there about a 6.5 ROM (I think) by somebody, but then later saw a 7.0 version?? Those are the things I'm unsure of. In you all's opinions, what do you think is the best route to take?

8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,664
    THat site has more then droidmod info

This site is full of info; some times the biggest problem is navigating through it all. But you have a community willing to help and provide info. And you can modify your phone with out rooting. I know rooting is the big thing here; but it is not the end all solution. In the thread (seen some questions about droidmod) the thread has tweaks for non rooted devices.

9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    You have a choice of two different OS versions:

2.0.1 (what you have now)
    2.1 (What you will be seeing as an update, eventually)

The rest of the version numbers you see are related to the ROM release version. Thats it.

800mhz is considered the 'safest' overclock speed that almost everyone seems to hit without issue.

No ROM is best, its really what you want. Looking for a themed ROM? Stock look? 2.0.1 vs 2.1? Latest source from Google or whats been compiled by Motorola?

These are the things we need answers to.

10. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12
    No question, that choosing a rom is one's choice just as every action we take on this journey of life. Our actions determine the outcome!

For me, I prefer Matth3W's (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html) tutorial. It is a very comprehensive process and takes you step by step through rooting, installation of SPRecovery, Nandroid backup, backing up data and installing the rom. Nice job of PM(my opinion).

Make a choice and install the rom and OC kernel. in my opinion, any of the rooted process will provide better performance than stock.

11. phatneff

phatneff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I want 2.1. I'd like a stock look for now, as I really haven't searched for a theme that I want. As for the Google vs. Motorola, which has more options with keeping performance at a high level? The clock speed of 800mhz seems low due to seeing others advertised at like 1.3ghz. Is that correct?

12. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    Well it is low, but 1.2+ are pretty top end, and not everyone can hit it. There is also severely diminishing returns after 800mhz or so.

Cyanogenmod will have the most features, and will end up keeping the high performance. People will argue if its more or less stable. I find 5.0.5.3 to be pretty fantastic. Its here you will find features nobody else has, and new code too. It also looks stock. Keep in mind themes need to be compatible with CM, and with that ROM version. In that respect, ease of use takes a step backwards.

If you are looking for a tweaked stock-like version, I have a ROM you can try. There is also an optional OC kernel that goes to 1ghz that can be installed as well.

CM can easily be installed via Rom Manager on the market.

13. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    welcome look at the ultimate droid hacking guide in my Sig it has everything you need.

14. mwhartman

Ratings:
    +12

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quit being lazy and do some research. No need to ask everyone else to do it for you.

EMRs? I work for an EMR software vendor as a technical engineer deploying one of their applications.

-Mike