Droid and 4G/LTE on Verizon

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I've been doing research, and some people say the Droid X/Incredible/Droid 2 WILL support the new 4G/LTE network on Verizon. Other people say the opposite. Can I get a straight answer? I mean I know all about how the current Droids as well as all of Verizon's phones have only a CDMA Rev. A antenna, which supposedly only works with 3G, but do we KNOW that for sure? Maybe Verizon is developing a 4G network compatable with our current antennas?

I also read somewhere that on the Droid Incredible, there's an option to enable 4G........huh?

Anyway, can we say with absolute certainty that our beloved Droids will become outdated when the 4G network rolls out in the coming years? Because I would really appreciate being able to tether and call at the same time!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Uh I don't know where you heard that but that is absolutely wrong. The Droids that are out now are in no way compatible with LTE. You'll have to get a new phone if you wish to utilize the LTE network on your phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Our Droids will not work with the LTE network. Whoever so much as suggested that is full of crap.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Our Droids will not work with the LTE network. Whoever so much as suggested that is full of crap.

yup.

its mostly a hardware limitation so unless when they built all teh phones out they put something in them to work with LTE, then its not gonna be able to use the signal.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So we are sure the current Droids don't have a dormant LTE antenna in them? And actually I heard that the first of Verizon's official 4G phones come out Black Friday!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not sure, but i highly doubt it.

(someone else on here might be able to confirm it)

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'd bet anything that NONE of them have it. Seriously, they would have touted it as one of the features of the phone if it actually had the radio in it. If you were a manufacturer, would you pay extra money to put a radio in a phone then not advertise it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, it will NOT work. LTE is a type of signal, like gsm or cdma.

And that option was prob left over from the evo. I mean, think about it. they are almost identical. Besides screen size and the addition of a wimax radio.

Sent from my Droid

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
You have a point. But then again Apple didn't adevertise the 2nd Gen. iPod Touch's Bluetooth capability.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The current devices DO NOT and WILL NOT support LTE : )

TweakedSystems

Reaction score
Congratulations! 4G will launch in your area by the end of 2010
4G Network & 4G Wireless Service | Verizon Wireless
*Update Info* I Just spoke to Customer Service with Verizon.I was told that the Droid X will be 4G compatable.
The person I spoke to said that seeing how the phone is an open source..they will be coming out with update as well... WooHoo!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And actually I heard that the first of Verizon's official 4G phones come out Black Friday!

this is also false.

Verizon already came out and said the only LTE devices out this year will be broadband cards for your laptop. The 1st LTE phones wont be out until sometime 1st quarter of 2011.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The current devices DO NOT and WILL NOT support LTE : )

bingo...

besides the 1st FCC LTE approval wasn't given out until July 30th of 2010 a good 9 months after the droid was released and 15 days after the Droid X was releaed. Samsung was awarded that FCC approval.

as of this month Motorola has not been given a FCC approval for any LTE device.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score