Droid affecting Keyless Entry for cars?

EricTheRed760

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a couple of days ago, I noticed that the keyless entry for my 2003 Mustang started acting up. It will only unlock if i place the fob directly on the car. I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing this issue, and maybe if it was being cause by some signal that the Droid is putting out.

I also noticed that the fob for my 07 Taurus is doing the same thing. I had my wife try both of them when I wasn't around, and she said they both worked fine....

Any ideas???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a couple of days ago, I noticed that the keyless entry for my 2003 Mustang started acting up. It will only unlock if i place the fob directly on the car. I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing this issue, and maybe if it was being cause by some signal that the Droid is putting out.

I also noticed that the fob for my 07 Taurus is doing the same thing. I had my wife try both of them when I wasn't around, and she said they both worked fine....

Any ideas???

I strongly doubt it has anything to do with the Droid. I don't know about the 2007 Taurus, but the 2003 Mustang probably needs a new battery in the key.

OP
EricTheRed760

EricTheRed760

Reaction score
That's what my first thought was, but then my wife tested it out yesterday, and she had no problems at all. She even tried standing a good 30 feet away, and it still worked.

The only time they have issues is when I'm trying to use them. I litterally have to get right next to the car to get the fobs to work properly...

sam5828

Reaction score
That's what my first thought was, but then my wife tested it out yesterday, and she had no problems at all. She even tried standing a good 30 feet away, and it still worked.

The only time they have issues is when I'm trying to use them. I litterally have to get right next to the car to get the fobs to work properly...
leave your phone in the house and try it.

tktouch12

Reaction score
actually. this is farfetched, but my 02 explorer started getting bad about the same time i got my droid, but i highly doubt that is the problem

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

The only time they have issues is when I'm trying to use them. I litterally have to get right next to the car to get the fobs to work properly..

Interesting! When I had my iPhone, if I was holding it and I answered our phone (land line) there was a buzzing in the line. If I used the handheld (wireless) the buzzing was absent.

I think that these phones are high end radio transmitters/receivers so perhaps there is a frequency issue. But I'm no expert.

Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla, and while the gas pedal may get stuck and the power steering may fail, one thing I'm quite sure of is my Droid doesn't interfere with the wireless lock.

OP
EricTheRed760

EricTheRed760

Reaction score
I think that these phones are high end radio transmitters/receivers so perhaps there is a frequency issue. But I'm no expert.

Mike

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the droid is putting out some kind of signal or frequency that is causing the signal from the key fob to be cancelled out. I'll have to conduct some experiments...

Maybe it's just me....

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the droid is putting out some kind of signal or frequency that is causing the signal from the key fob to be cancelled out. I'll have to conduct some experiments...

Maybe it's just me....
I don't think it is you. All of the new cars and keys have chips and there are vents in you dash that the manufacturer tells you not to block. My sense-- this is a frequency issue. It may be worth a trip to you auto dealer and ask them what for the frequency settings on the entry/start system.

Mike

OP
EricTheRed760

EricTheRed760

Reaction score
I figured it out. It's not a frequency coming from my Droid, it's the frequency that my FM Transmitter is putting out. I went and bought the transmitter that they were giving away on this forum (<a href= "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XQ0ZOU/ref=oss_product">Accessory Power FlexSmart Car Mount System for MOTOROLA DROID</a>), and it turns out that if you leave it plugged into the AC outlet, it continues to broadcast the signal, even when the car's not on. I went and unplugged it and walked about 30 feet from my car, and sure enough it worked.

deadernie

Reaction score
Sounds crazy but past experience with radio controlled airplanes when I was having untraceable interfereance issue. I was told by somebody @ the flying field to put lotion on my hands and problem was gone. Lol.