Droid, ADB Drivers, and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pcm2a, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet to come up with an issue, and have started testing custom apps on my phone through win7 development.

64 bit home premium.

2. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Erron, can you check the device ID of your phone in device manager?

3. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I will doso in a bit. Messing with some other stuff ATM.

4. mosherjm

mosherjm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar issue and would like some help if anyone knows.

Running Win7 Ultimate, which finds the appropriate USB device driver no problem.

However, from what I can tell the Android Debug Bridge driver included in the SDK just doesn't work for the Droid in Win7. So when I run ddms.bat, I get "Error Loading Preferences".

Is there something obvious that I am overlooking? Thanks.

5. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please read my earlier post, as I specifically answer your question. If you change the PID in the inf file on the SDK/ADB driver, it will recognize the droid and work just fine. The driver still isnt signed, but it should work just fine.

6. mosherjm

mosherjm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Randomocity,

The PID on my device already matched the ADB Driver (41DB), so the driver appears to install properly from the get go. My problem is after it's installed I can't seem to get any of the SDK tools to work. "Error Loading Preferences". I was very close to building a ubuntu box to try on there, but apparently it's something I'm doing wrong because it seems from what I've read that some people have gotten this to work with Windows 7. I'm just out of gas trying to figure it out.

I've reinstalled the SDK from scratch and re-installed the driver multiple times. Don't know what else I can try.

Any ideas?

Thx again.

7. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, interesting situation. I do in fact have it working on Win 7 x64, so I can assure you it does work. 41DB is your PID from device manager? Mine shows up as 41E0.... Interesting for more purposes than one. Error loading prefs comes up when? When you try to load the adb shell?

8. rubear

rubear New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My solution-
    I am using Windows 7 x64
    1. Extract "Handset_USB_Driver_x64_v4.0.0.msi"

2. Go to Device Manager

[​IMG]

right click on the Motorola device that does not have a driver (My images shows the driver correctly installed.
    3. Right-click, select "update driver software..."

4. Browse to the extracted directory and click through.

This worked for me. I was able to compile the demo apps, run, & debug on the Droid.
    BTW, my phone's PID is 41DB (Purchased on 11/27/09)
    -
    Robert

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  9. JimIMD

JimIMD New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having a similiar problem but a more persistent variant. Using Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) I could mount and see the Droid just fine, however Eclipse would never see the phone for debugging. I tried changing the USB driver PID reference from 41DB to 41E0, no luck. I tried Motorola's new "Mot Composite ADB Interface", no luck. I tried Google's new "Android ADB Interface" drivers, no luck. While checking the PID of the phone I stumbled across this workaround.

-Open Eclipse and confirm that you cannot see your Droid to debug on it.
    -Now open a command prompt, cd to wherever you have your "\android-sdk-windows\tools" directory
    -Type "adb usb".

This will force the debugger interface to restart in USB mode and you should now be able to see your Droid. Annoyingly you have to do this every time you restart Eclipse but at least it's something. I hope this info helps someone out threre who has been beating their head against a wall on this problem, and maybe helps the driver developers find a patch for this.

Regards,
    Jim

10. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Jim,

Here's the best I can give you in regards to your problem. First and foremost you should be running the absolute latest version of ADB, as old versions do not recognize the driver, even if it is installed correctly. Also, try installing the motorola dev drivers from the moto site. Dunno if that will work, but I had those installed to just in case.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

If people continue to have problems with the current drivers, I can always zip my working drivers/driver pack and see if that helps.

11. JimIMD

JimIMD New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks kindly for the response. I think I'm running all the latest drivers but I would be grateful if you could post your working set. I will be glad to offer myself as guinea pig, install them, and provide feedback if that clears up the weirdness. I've built an app that worked on Android 1.5 and 1.6 but 2.0 has been a new kind of challenge.

Jim

12. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll post the drivers when I get home from work tonight.

Interesting situation though, is PID based on OS type? I noticed that when I hooked my phone up to my desktop (Running Win7x64) I had the 41E0 PID, whereas when I hooked my phone up to my XPx86 laptop, I had to re-edit the drivers to point back to 41DB.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

13. Burgers

Burgers New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

sorry if this is a noob question, but i have been reading and trial/error for hours..

I have win7 x64 and my droid says Error: device not found when i try to run abd shell through cmd..

i installed SDK and the 402 motrolla usb drivers.

I saw that you mentioned changing the PID in the INF in device manager for win7 users..

I cannot.. for the life of me... find what my PID is or where i would change the drivers PID..

When i open up my comps device manager i See "Android Phone", but i cant find this PID#

please help me :(

14. kllian

kllian New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was having a similar problem, then i thought maybe usb debugging is not turned on. sure enough, once i enabled that on the phone, it showed up correctly on my win7 ultimate x64.

Application Settings->Development->USB debugging (turn that on)

15. gpsmapper

gpsmapper New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm not a developer, but I am trying to get screen shots. I had no problem on my old laptop, but on my Win 7 64-bit laptop, no device shows when I run ddms.bat. USB debugging is connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search tags for this page
adb drivers droid x
droid x adb driver
droid x driver for windows 7
droid x drivers for windows 7
droid x windows 7 driver

motorola a855 driver windows 7

motorola adb driver

motorola adb driver windows 7
motorola droid drivers windows 7
motorola droid x drivers windows 7