Droid, ADB Drivers, and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by pcm2a, Nov 8, 2009.

1. praeceps

praeceps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies... didn't mean it like that. Honestly, the only thing that came to mind was that individual Windows kernel revisions might allow it and others not... to my understanding, the Google driver is identical in all cases. Perhaps there's more than one driver revision that ships with Win 7, and some who get the early ones get unlucky, and others don't? Now that its clear I really would like to figure out WHY this manifests for some and not others.... what do you think does it?

2. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its a device ID issue. The PID on the original sholes was 22B8 PID 41DB. For some reasons, some of the Droids Device IDs are 22B8 PID 41E0. Or at least that's the one that I had. That difference is what causes the driver to not recognize the phone in general. By changing the last 2 numbers on the PID, the OS will recognize and match the driver, but the driver is also not signed by google, so no matter what you have to force install it.

Hope that explanation helps. My apologies on the fanboyism comment. If you have anymore questions, I'll be happy to answer.

3. praeceps

praeceps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Huh... that is interesting... those numbers are only 5 away. Oh, and no problem. You we're just looking out for the good of the forum. It was more warranted than you know... for I am... a Linux user. Regardless, apology accepted, and 5 away is an odd hex leap. The binary for those would be 0010001010111000(22B8) 010000011101(41DB) and 0100000111100000(41E0). That's interesting... they both have the same bit parity... the same number of 1's... just a curiosity I suppose though. It could mean something and we'd never know. It's amazing that this post is still on topic.

4. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet to come up with an issue, and have started testing custom apps on my phone through win7 development.

64 bit home premium.

5. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Erron, can you check the device ID of your phone in device manager?

6. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I will doso in a bit. Messing with some other stuff ATM.

7. mosherjm

mosherjm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar issue and would like some help if anyone knows.

Running Win7 Ultimate, which finds the appropriate USB device driver no problem.

However, from what I can tell the Android Debug Bridge driver included in the SDK just doesn't work for the Droid in Win7. So when I run ddms.bat, I get "Error Loading Preferences".

Is there something obvious that I am overlooking? Thanks.

8. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please read my earlier post, as I specifically answer your question. If you change the PID in the inf file on the SDK/ADB driver, it will recognize the droid and work just fine. The driver still isnt signed, but it should work just fine.

9. mosherjm

mosherjm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Randomocity,

The PID on my device already matched the ADB Driver (41DB), so the driver appears to install properly from the get go. My problem is after it's installed I can't seem to get any of the SDK tools to work. "Error Loading Preferences". I was very close to building a ubuntu box to try on there, but apparently it's something I'm doing wrong because it seems from what I've read that some people have gotten this to work with Windows 7. I'm just out of gas trying to figure it out.

I've reinstalled the SDK from scratch and re-installed the driver multiple times. Don't know what else I can try.

Any ideas?

Thx again.

10. Randomocity

Randomocity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, interesting situation. I do in fact have it working on Win 7 x64, so I can assure you it does work. 41DB is your PID from device manager? Mine shows up as 41E0.... Interesting for more purposes than one. Error loading prefs comes up when? When you try to load the adb shell?

11. rubear

rubear New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My solution-
    I am using Windows 7 x64
    1. Extract "Handset_USB_Driver_x64_v4.0.0.msi"

2. Go to Device Manager

[​IMG]

right click on the Motorola device that does not have a driver (My images shows the driver correctly installed.
    3. Right-click, select "update driver software..."

4. Browse to the extracted directory and click through.

This worked for me. I was able to compile the demo apps, run, & debug on the Droid.
    BTW, my phone's PID is 41DB (Purchased on 11/27/09)
    -
    Robert

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  12. JimIMD

JimIMD New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having a similiar problem but a more persistent variant. Using Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) I could mount and see the Droid just fine, however Eclipse would never see the phone for debugging. I tried changing the USB driver PID reference from 41DB to 41E0, no luck. I tried Motorola's new "Mot Composite ADB Interface", no luck. I tried Google's new "Android ADB Interface" drivers, no luck. While checking the PID of the phone I stumbled across this workaround.

-Open Eclipse and confirm that you cannot see your Droid to debug on it.
    -Now open a command prompt, cd to wherever you have your "\android-sdk-windows\tools" directory
    -Type "adb usb".

This will force the debugger interface to restart in USB mode and you should now be able to see your Droid. Annoyingly you have to do this every time you restart Eclipse but at least it's something. I hope this info helps someone out threre who has been beating their head against a wall on this problem, and maybe helps the driver developers find a patch for this.

Regards,
    Jim

Search tags for this page
adb drivers droid x
droid x adb driver
droid x driver for windows 7
droid x drivers for windows 7
droid x windows 7 driver

motorola a855 driver windows 7

motorola adb driver

motorola adb driver windows 7
motorola droid drivers windows 7