Droid A8500 Data Usaage??

droidfannd

Reaction score
Are you able to set a data cap with your cellular provider? Or are they perfectly happy to let you go over the 50mb allotment? How much do you get charged per MB if you go over?

Silver Member
Reaction score
if these providers capped everything, how would they bring in money? it's like asking your bank to never, ever charge you a fee for anything, ever. ;)

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
if these providers capped everything, how would they bring in money? it's like asking your bank to never, ever charge you a fee for anything, ever. ;)

lol. thanks to verizon though i have infinite!!!!

but yeah. 50mb is not good for droid.

PJnc284

Reaction score

not quite. "unlimited" on verizon (or any us carrier for that matter) doesn't mean unlimited.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score

not quite. "unlimited" on verizon (or any us carrier for that matter) doesn't mean unlimited.

uhm well i saw a post on here a couple days ago saying people like you are wrong (lol its exactly what is said) and that we actually have unlimited. because some people were saying that we are capped at 5gb. which is not true i guess. and actually it sort of is unlimited. well. to an extent ofcourse. like anything that anyone could humanly possible do can be done. i think that makes sense.

but yeah. to our standards it is unlimited

droidfannd

Reaction score
uhm well i saw a post on here a couple days ago saying people like you are wrong (lol its exactly what is said) and that we actually have unlimited. because some people were saying that we are capped at 5gb. which is not true i guess. and actually it sort of is unlimited. well. to an extent ofcourse. like anything that anyone could humanly possible do can be done. i think that makes sense.

You are correct. The 'unlimited' data plan for smartphones IS unlimited. The 5gb cap applies to folks who get a data plan and wireless card for their laptop.

PJnc284

Reaction score
Read those TOS very carefully. Verizon has it worded where it does apply to the smartphone/blackberry itself. One would be hard pressed to hit that 5GB with just regular browsing/email though unless they were doing something that is prohibited in the TOS though. Verizon can easily assume that you're tethering through a 3rd party app (prohibited in the TOS) without the tethering add-on and terminate your contract. How strict they are on enforcing that is the question but some people have reported going well over 5GB with nothing happening and others were terminated or even charged overages.

gdoane

Reaction score
The main advantage I've found with my Wi-Fi is the Droid is rocking fast on Wi-Fi. I have very good internet service at home, speeds typically over 25 MBPS.

Droid on my Wi-Fi usually speed tests right in the neighborhood of 6 MBPS, while in the "wild" running around it rarely tops 2 MBPS.

Obviously, triple the speed is a very good reason for the Droid to run the Wi-Fi when it can, and it has an advantage for Verizon as it keeps the impact to their network down a bit.

Still, I'd imagine that Verizon isn't about to be keeping track of every Wi-Fi network a Moto Droid might learn to join, especially when they can just get to the Droid over their own network. I know it's a Google phone, but I don't think even Google has a handle on every Wi-Fi in the USA. So the Droid will use Wi-Fi but probably won't leave the Verizon net unless it flat out can't see it.

50 MB on a data plan with a Droid? Holy Crippled Account, Batman!

I hit that on YouTube today. If you start streaming video, it's really easy to run through data use. I'd be over a 50MB plan by about a GB right now and the month is barely over halfway through.

cheapboy

Reaction score
ok, i have to say i am on page plus too, and 50 mb data is not enough, even with wifi connection at home & work, but u cant really beat the price. and I also noticed the occasional data usage even when I'm connected to WiFi. It annoyed me so much that I keep playing around with the phone and found the solution.

It is bcos ur wifi turned off when ur screen goes to sleep, what you can do is go to settings, wireless & networks, wifi setting, and hit the menu button, and choose advanced. you can select 'always keep my wifi on'. Now, no more occasional data usage, but it does use more battery power. anyway, hope it helps!

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
ok, i have to say i am on page plus too, and 50 mb data is not enough, even with wifi connection at home & work, but u cant really beat the price. and I also noticed the occasional data usage even when I'm connected to WiFi. It annoyed me so much that I keep playing around with the phone and found the solution.

It is bcos ur wifi turned off when ur screen goes to sleep, what you can do is go to settings, wireless & networks, wifi setting, and hit the menu button, and choose advanced. you can select 'always keep my wifi on'. Now, no more occasional data usage, but it does use more battery power. anyway, hope it helps!

:? beat the price? hmm? you bought the droid... knowing its a data hungry phone... beating the price is like. not it at all... you have the droid. so expect to pay more.. if you have such a tight budget then the droid is simply not for you... im not being mean or anything im just saying. its not THAT much lower of a price to cripple the best phone out there. its basically just a beast phone at home. or at "work" if you have wifi there. i know im not either at work or home all the time. even though it is a lot of the time. but still. 50mb is beyond death to the droid. i would be scared at 1gb.

if you cant afford verizon and the fees that go with the droid then you shouldnt really have it... imo.

so yeah. take no offense from this.

aacanela73

Reaction score

I used 303 MB last month and no extra charges. When you pay 30 on verizons plan for unlimited data that is what it means for smartphones

aacanela73

Reaction score

You are correct. The 'unlimited' data plan for smartphones IS unlimited. The 5gb cap applies to folks who get a data plan and wireless card for their laptop.
Your not even really capped just that is the amount of data that your broadband plan is priced at after the 5GB you go to a pay per megabyte at $.05 a megabyte. you can still keep using you just have to pay for your overages same as if you go over your minutes.

oCrashandBurno

Reaction score
I used 5.2 gigs just surfing the web, downloading, etc directly through my phone so that would be no-where near enough for me, but when Im doing stuff Im still on my phone 24/7 hahahaha