Status
Not open for further replies.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Won't work...no sim card slot which is required for LTE

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sim slot for global only but no hardware for LTE. The USB internet cards will be the first compatible with 4G..phones will come a month or two later.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's a misleading statement. LTE may use SIM cards but having a SIM slot doesn't automatically equal LTE. There are plenty of GSM and even iDen devices that have SIM slots that aren't LTE.

Okay then what about the droid pro?
What does it say on the spec sheet?

HINT: If it's not listed, they didn't throw it in for free. :D

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's a misleading statement. LTE may use SIM cards but having a SIM slot doesn't automatically equal LTE. There are plenty of GSM and even iDen devices that have SIM slots that aren't LTE.

Okay then what about the droid pro?
What does it say on the spec sheet?

HINT: If it's not listed, they didn't throw it in for free. :D

Yes I know that.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Wow a thread resurrected a YEAR later. I have never seen that before haha.

wingdo

Reaction score

I think the statement is 100% accurate. He said a SIM card slot is required for LTE which is totally correct. He didn't say SIM Card slots mean you get LTE. Simply that the D1 has no SIM card slot so it is automatically out of the running for LTE.

Rhino413

Reaction score
ok ive seen here and on other forums that mention the big thing about 4g
is it will allow voice and data at the same time. and that verizons 3g will not allow this. well this is incorrect I had a verizon XV6900 with it cooked to winmo 6.5 and one of the hacks it had was to enable voice and data at the same time. it worked great on verizons 3g. and the sim card issue has never been finalized with verizon. they may opt not for the sim card. Verizon tweaks and locks many many things on their phones so 4g may indead be in the droid X time will tell. if the X is capable verizon will most likely never unlock it. so it would be up to hackers to open it up once LTE is out and running. NEVER say NEVER in technology because if we all thought like that bill gates would have been right in saying we will never need more than 640k of ram.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That could be true except that I work for Verizon (corporate) and just had another training (4th total) on LTE...which included a half hour of how to activate the SIM card. As far as voice and data on 3G simultaneously, only a hack could find a work around. My D1 isn't supposed to be able to support any kind of hotspot feature but it does when rooted. No hack is going to create a LTE SIM card slot from thin air though. We will see the USB modems shortly but phones will not be until February, as mentioned earlier. Kinda makes one rethink the whole Verizon iPhone in January rumor huh?

ok ive seen here and on other forums that mention the big thing about 4g
is it will allow voice and data at the same time. and that verizons 3g will not allow this. well this is incorrect I had a verizon XV6900 with it cooked to winmo 6.5 and one of the hacks it had was to enable voice and data at the same time. it worked great on verizons 3g. and the sim card issue has never been finalized with verizon. they may opt not for the sim card. Verizon tweaks and locks many many things on their phones so 4g may indead be in the droid X time will tell. if the X is capable verizon will most likely never unlock it. so it would be up to hackers to open it up once LTE is out and running. NEVER say NEVER in technology because if we all thought like that bill gates would have been right in saying we will never need more than 640k of ram.

Rhino413

Reaction score
see what some fail to understand is that a sim card has nothing to do with the radio simply code is stored on the sim card. The hardware radio is just a radio. ill give you an example if I locked your FM radio to just one station and your neighbors to another. you two are now on seperate networks. similar to how IP adressing works. but the radio does not change it is simply told where and what to look for. if you look up 4g on wiki you can read how the hardware is not mentioned but rather the protocols are. 4g as been around sence 2006 and it was called 3g LTE. the radios are the same. even if the frequency is altered the radio is the same. 4g/LTE is getting its faster speeds via the MIMO standard. so if verizon does go with the sim card this could be worked around. NOW let me state that this will probably not happen. as it would require A LOT of WORK. and most people will have moved on to a better 4g phone. as much as i like my X it is quickly becoming old news and out dated.

Edit Also as more people jump to 4g devices this will free up the 3g bandwith so speeds could increase in heavy traffic areas cough cough Los Angeles

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
One way to find out..

see what some fail to understand is that a sim card has nothing to do with the radio simply code is stored on the sim card. The hardware radio is just a radio. ill give you an example if I locked your FM radio to just one station and your neighbors to another. you two are now on seperate networks. similar to how IP adressing works. but the radio does not change it is simply told where and what to look for. if you look up 4g on wiki you can read how the hardware is not mentioned but rather the protocols are. 4g as been around sence 2006 and it was called 3g LTE. the radios are the same. even if the frequency is altered the radio is the same. 4g/LTE is getting its faster speeds via the MIMO standard. so if verizon does go with the sim card this could be worked around. NOW let me state that this will probably not happen. as it would require A LOT of WORK. and most people will have moved on to a better 4g phone. as much as i like my X it is quickly becoming old news and out dated.

Edit Also as more people jump to 4g devices this will free up the 3g bandwith so speeds could increase in heavy traffic areas cough cough Los Angeles

Rhino413

Reaction score
True.

But ask yourself this the 4g phones from Verizon would have to be 3g capable and 1x capable as well. now you know they dont put three different radios in the phones. Just one radio capable of multiple dedicated frequencies. so in the end it will all come down to how much security is put into the sim cards to protect the 4g info. if it is weak then 3g phones could be made 4g capable. i dont know the specifics on the X more to the point how many antanne it has. but one of the big required standards for a network to be called 4g is that it must support MIMO multiple input multiple output. this would require more than one antanne. see if you really wanted to and had the time you could reflash a wireless G + mimo card to become a wireles N card as an example. This issue will iron it self out but like the locked boot loader on the X it will come down to how many people want it and out of them how many are capable of this level of hacking.

bobcrust

Reaction score
I HAVE A Lenovo LePhone(Android,3.7 AMOLED Touchscreen,3G,WIFI) WANT TO GET RID OF IT

Item specifics - Cell Phones & Smartphones
Condition:
undamaged item has its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. . See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read more about the condition
Carrier: Unlocked
Cellular Band: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz WCDMA/HSPA: 850/1900/21 Contract: Without Contract
Camera: 3.0 MP Brand: Lenovo
Features: 3G Data Capable, Bluetooth Enabled, Calendar, Color Screen, Email Access, Internet Browser, MMS Enabled, MP3 Player, MPEG4 Video Playback, Photo Album, Polyphonic Ringtones, Speakerphone, Text Messaging, Touch Screen, USB Interface, Video Streaming, Wi-Fi Capable, Model: Lenovo LePhone
Bundled Items: Batteries, Cable(s), Power Charger (AC), Style: Bar
Color: Black please get in touch with me if interested [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.