Droid 4 with foreign SIM

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by avrave, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ndd

ndd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    does that mean that charges for voice and data would be pay as you go? I ask because I was on a trip to Ireland and one of the other guys had an iPhone. he didn't realize that it was a global phone, and only found out when he was notified of the charges he was incurring with AT&T. apparently the phone was using data to keep up to date and he didn't realize it.

2. dh98402

dh98402 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, using the local sim would be pay as you go. If his iphone was on the AT&T network with a global plan as it sounds from what you posted he would have been charged based on what the rates where for the AT&T global voice and data usage, sounds like he didn't swap out his sim card or disable the data on his phone.

The pay as you go I referred to was with switching out my sim card once I got to the UK. The pay as you go sim that runs on the Lebara network International Calls & Free SIMs | Pay As You Go | Lebara with their pay as you go you "top up" or recharge the balance available to use. You can check the data and voice rates on their website based on the country you want to use the sim in and it will tell you how much the rates are. You wouldn't get billed by AT&T also because you would already have removed the AT&T sim card and installed the Lebara sim which then the only charges you would get would be for the usage on the Lebara network. Hope this answers your question.

3. droidbound

droidbound Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So far I have always used a simple cell phone with a pre-paid SIM for my visits in Germany.
    This time I did not want to go without the smartphone functionality, especially Google Maps which I plan to use quite a bit.
    So I had the German provider, Simyo, send me a microSIM replacement card, popped it into the Droid 4, set the network preference to GSM and could make phone calls within minutes.
    For Internet connectivity Simyo send three text messages to my phone and those made the necessary changes to network settings after a reboot.
    So far, so good. Google maps works, push notifications for Gmail work.

The only thing I'm curious about is what will happen when I go back to the US and return to the Verizon SIM again. Simyo did erase all the Verizon APNs, and it's going to be interesting to see if Verizon is as smart and easy in restoring those as it was to get Simyo working on this phone....

I'll report back in a couple of weeks if someone's interested....

Edit: Two weeks later: This was way easier than I expected. Returning to the States I just put the Verizon SIM back in, and everything switched back to the Verizon service. No problems whatsoever...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

#15 droidbound, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
Search tags for this page
does droid 4 work internationally

droid 4 global

droid 4 global ready

droid 4 international

droid 4 international sim
is droid 4 global
is droid 4 global ready
is the droid 4 global ready