Droid 4 vs Droid X Comparison (With Pictures!)

amishdude01

Reaction score
cool pics! i like the Droid 1,2, and 4 comparison a lot. I came from the DX as well. I loved the X to death, but after having the d4, i dont miss the X too much.

HNettles

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, and I'm eligible for a new phone from Verizon. I would like to have a physical keyboard, but it isn't an absolute necessity. The problem I have is that the screen is bigger / better on my Droid X than on the Droid 4. When I am typing an email or a text, I would really like to have the keyboard. But 99% of my usage for a phone is reading, not writing. And for reading, my Droid X is superior to the Droid 4. For which reason I am leaning towards the Razr or the Nexus. Why didn't they put a better screen on the Droid 4, anyway?

chefboyardee

Reaction score
The problem I have is that the screen is bigger / better on my Droid X than on the Droid 4.

I don't have a Droid X, but in my research for purchasing the D4 I found that while the DX screen is physically bigger, the resolution is lower. That would imply that bigger is true, but better is not. I'm curious if you've compared them in person and if so, can you report back with if that is true? Note: I'm not questioning your assessment, just trying to advance my own knowledge :) Is maybe the DX AMOLED or something that makes it better for reading? I haven't seen any ghosting issues or had any problems reading in the Kindle app on my D4 so far is why I ask.

Droid X: 480 x 854 pixels, 4.3 inches (~228 ppi pixel density)

Droid 4: 540 x 960 pixels, 4.0 inches (~275 ppi pixel density)

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have a Droid X, and I'm eligible for a new phone from Verizon. I would like to have a physical keyboard, but it isn't an absolute necessity. The problem I have is that the screen is bigger / better on my Droid X than on the Droid 4. When I am typing an email or a text, I would really like to have the keyboard. But 99% of my usage for a phone is reading, not writing. And for reading, my Droid X is superior to the Droid 4. For which reason I am leaning towards the Razr or the Nexus. Why didn't they put a better screen on the Droid 4, anyway?

I'd would just a bit for the new phones that are right around the corner. HUGE jump in tech. (I will always have a soft spot for the DX :))

OP
G
Reaction score
from my experience looking at them side by side, the screen on the D4 is crisper, brighter, and easier to read on than the DX

note: i did not *want* to get rid of my DX. I was really trying to hold out till the summer for the next wave of phones.... but the headphone jack issue was simply driving me insane so it had to go.. that and 4G+Keyboard has been an object of lust for me for a while

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Why didn't they put a better screen on the Droid 4, anyway?

Really, a reasonable speculation would be budget constraints. Off the top there's the added cost of the keyboard. If you add in the extra cost of the new battery technology and the water-proofing necessary because a shorted polymer hybrid battery can actually explode... well, they had to cut corners somewhere.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )