Droid 4 Utility Updated

Anyonenormal

Reaction score
Aww man!
I wrote my guide based on the old script.. haha, and file folder.
I guess I need to update..

TeeKay1

Reaction score
So use this updated utility to root instead of the one in the sticky? If the answer to this is really obvious, I do apologize.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So use this updated utility to root instead of the one in the sticky? If the answer to this is really obvious, I do apologize.
This tool has everything the original tool in the sticky has plus some new additions. Both will root stock gingerbread. This one will also root any of the ICS leaks.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Bumping my own post...tool now has Dan Rosenburg's root for ICS. Will install superuser and busybox!

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Is just used your tool to upgrade to 213 and it went smoothly and it kept my data :hail:

And embedded video is now working for me, it didn't work for me on 206, 208, and 211.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked well for you. Without the original tool and the help from many others I never would have been able to modify it.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The only problem I had was that I had to put the .bat file of your utility into the folder of the original utility to get it to work. I have no idea why that worked but it did.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not really sure on that one, but if you have all the right files in a "files" folder and you have that folder and the script in a folder it should run just fine. I just updated the tool last night. It now has the root method written by Dan Rosenburg that install superuser and busybox in the right locations. This is the reason why many people had trouble freezing apps. The script for this root is a straight lift from Matt's Razr tool, so credit to him for all he does. I only added in the latest files for superuser and rootkeeper.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The other thing is after rooting I didn't have to download SU, it was still on my phone. When I installed the other leaks I always had to download SU because it was deleted during the flashing process.

MidnightLight

Reaction score
I had a similar issue trying to root after going from .212 to .213. Ended up being a driver issue for me. Just reflashing the drivers didn't seem to fix it. What I did was plug the phone in to the computer, connect as USB mass storage, install the motocast software (which also installs drivers AND takes forever) then switched back to a camera mode connection. At that point the utility recognized my phone and I was able to run the ICS root script. Not sure WHY it worked but might want to give it a shot.

In case it helps anyone, I also had trouble installing the Motorola drivers to work with the Droid4 ICS 213, but I found that the trick was to disable USB debugging before plugging in my phone to the computer. Once USB debugging is disabled, the USB drivers finally installed fine (I switched to both mass storage and MTP modes to make sure that both were working). After that, I was able to re-enable USB debugging, and ADB was able to work once again.

TeeKay1

Reaction score
So when I try to run the utility as admin because I'm on Win 7, the command prompt for the utility appears and disappears in under a second. Why is that?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I am on windows 7. A double click on the script runs just fine for me.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Wilhelzing317

Reaction score
Just so I understand you copy the GB FAST boot files in the tools files folder. Then you run option 2 in the tool to restore GB with data. Does the phone reboot and is running GB before you go back to going from one ics to another. The Instructions don't explain this.?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you are on ICS now you cannot go back to GB. If you are on one ICS leak and want to move to another, then you must have the update file (around 360mb) on your sdcard (external only) and the matching boot.img (named ICSFIX) in the files folder of the tool along with the GB fastboot files. Then run menu 16. Then flahs the update from the stock recovery. This is detailed in the second part of the post.

If you are on GB and have made some system changes then you can run the restore GB and data save option. It should work just fine but I don't have a GB phone to test it out.