Droid 4 Utility ICS Only

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
the phone boots and works. i get incoming calls and texts. but apps--several google acore apps, gmail, exchange--constantly reports fc.

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can try to trick it and get the recovery to reformat it
When you reformat your sd card it usually leaves a file .Android secure
So grab that file from someone and put it on your computer
Plug your d4 into your computer..it should recognize your storage devices if you have the moto drivers installed
Use windows explorer to navigate to your internal storage
Delete everything on it
Place the .Android secure file you grabbed and put it in your internal storage
Unplug and reboot your phone
It should recognize you have a problem and ask you if you want to fix

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Well then you are not bricked! Did you try doing a data reset?

Hmm, I've tried every trick I can find on this forum and in XDA. In recovery I do a wipe. I even deleted the ROM slot in TWRP, I am using safestrap. But they keep coming back upon reboot. I get that I'm not "bricked", but a week of this and I have no idea what to try next. I also can't switch back to my Stock ROM slot. In TWRP it says stock slot is active, but upon reboot it just goes back to the ROM Slot 1. Also, I can "delete" files from the phone while connected to my computer, but said deleted files come right back upon reboot.

Thanks for the replies guys, whether there is a resolution or not it sure feels good to be talking to people who know what they are talking about. I wasn't getting much traction in the thread I started before I did all this research.

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
can you also clarify what you mean by data reset? do you mean from the phone setting --> privacy --> reset to factory?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ok well if you can't get back to the stock rom then you may have deleted the data backup or who knows what, but this should be easy to fix by fastboot with RSD or with the utility. Are you sure that you are putting the phone in "AP Fastboot" mode when you run RSD?

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Ok well if you can't get back to the stock rom then you may have deleted the data backup or who knows what, but this should be easy to fix by fastboot with RSD or with the utility. Are you sure that you are putting the phone in "AP Fastboot" mode when you run RSD?

I havn't run RSD, I only tried to do this with the Droid 4 Utility. The utility definitely ran in Fastboot mode. I will try it with RSD. I assume I can put it in fastboot mode using the utility, then flash the xml file using RSD.

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I havn't run RSD, I only tried to do this with the Droid 4 Utility. The utility definitely ran in Fastboot mode. I will try it with RSD. I assume I can put it in fastboot mode using the utility, then flash the xml file using RSD.

Well that is strange if you started in fastboot mode the utility should have wiped out safestrap and if you chose the option with the data reset it should have went back to only stock. You can also access fastboot manually by powering down, holding both volume buttons, then press and release power.

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Data reset didn't do anything even though the screen said success. As a final question, when I tried to wipe clean my internal storage from recovery this morning, I got this message:

Using rm -rf on '/dev/block/mmcblk1p25'
E:tw_format_rmfr: unable to locate volume for device "

Putting this in google sent me to a thread in another forum where someone else had a similar problem on a different android phone and that thread didn't have any answers. Any thoughts on this?

OP
jsnweitzel

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not sure there sounds like it can't read the internal storage. The tool should be able write over it back to stock.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

cocodude

Reaction score
Data reset didn't do anything even though the screen said success. As a final question, when I tried to wipe clean my internal storage from recovery this morning, I got this message:

Using rm -rf on '/dev/block/mmcblk1p25'
E:tw_format_rmfr: unable to locate volume for device "
And I've got exactly the same problem too, but on a Droid 3. Did you manage to resolve this?

alkaholic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Anybody else been dealing with the "adb server is out of date" errors when running the tool? It's always worked fine, but in a bout of pilot error I decided to unroot before the JB OTA. Unrooting worked fine, but then I had second thoughts and figured I should probably use the Voodoo Rootkeeper. I hopped back onto the tool this morning to root, and it's not working and returning a bunch of errors indicating the adb server is out of date, and subsequently the device isn't being found properly. I've found some resources on the Intertubes, but nothing directly relating to the Droid 4 and this tool; I'd rather not make generalizations and use an answer for the same problem in another context if it will result in my having a Motorola Tire Chock. Anybody dealt with this?

Thanks!