Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

skylarmb

Reaction score
Hey all! This is the new home of the Droid 4 Utility!

There are (still) no fastboot files as of writing this (2/28/2012) so use Safestrap at your own risk
Once they come out I will be making a full version that includes fastboot restore. For now, the utility is only a few MB compared to a GB+.

From this point forward I will be taking charge of updating the Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

This way mattlgroff has a little less work on his hands and can focus more on IMPORTANT things like bootloaders, ICS, etc...

MAC/LINUX: Be sure to read the instructions below (or README file) if you are not familiar with using terminal as root or executing bash scripts!

-Changes
~~as of 2/18/ 11:30PM PST
Fixed bug where Superuser.apk was pushed to /data instead of /system/app/
Fixed unroot script to properly remove Superuser.apk
~~as of 2/19 4:30 PM PST
Fixed chmod in root method from 4775 to 6775
~~as of 2/28 6:15PM PST
Added Safestrap recovery!!!
~~as of 3/2
fixed script to chmod +x ./files -R so that you can actually run the files on mac and linux (that would be important huh?)

DOWNLOADS

WINDOWS
Size: 7.75 MB
MD5: f82bf8d8a085ff95b696712b8caa0f1b
Link: http://tinyw.in/KKB8

MAC
Size: 7.19 MB
MD5: dc8468d051d59963914a0b8a054b83b8
Link: http://tinyw.in/vx2A

LINUX
Size: 7.26 MB
MD5: 0c082efbff48e614b9d8ebffc7eca3eb
Link: http://tinyw.in/tpt0

Here's how:

Windows:

Simply Unzip the files, and run Droid4Windows.bat as administrator (right click>run as administrator)

Mac/Linux:

Simply extract the zip then

Open terminal and run:

Code:
su

Then enter the root password NOTE: This is not YOUR password, this is the ROOT password. If you dont know it, you can always use

Code:
sudo passwd

to reset the root password

Next run:

Code:
cd /the path to where you extracted the files/

for example, heres what I have to type:

Code:
cd /home/skylar/Desktop/Droid4UtilityLinux/

next run the appropriate bash script:

Code:
bash Droid4linux
OR
Code:
bash Droid4mac

DONE!

Have fun and I hope you enjoy!

SCREENSHOTS

View attachment 47547View attachment 47546View attachment 47549View attachment 47548View attachment 47917

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

Last edited:

standard101

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6 Edge
Confirming this works and works well, took me about 5 minutes plus another few minutes to create a backup. Here is a step by step on what must be done for anyone who has never done this before. I did mine on WinXP, pretty much the same on Win7 with the same driver as linked below. Thanks OP!

Prework
1. Plug in phone to computer.
2. Turn on USB Debugging. Menu -> Settings -> Application -> Development -> USB Debugging
3. Confirm latest Moto driver is installed. Go to Device Manager on Windows while the D4 is plugged into it and confirm you see ADB Interface listed with Mot Composite ADB Interface listed in the group. If you see that, skip #4 & #5. There are other ways to go about this, but this is the simplest and surefire way to confirm the driver is there and compatible.
4. Go get Moto driver and install it: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA It is an exe file that must be run and your computer has to restart when completed.
5. Go back into your Device Manager after reboot with the phone plugged in and confirm ADB Interface is there and no error exists.

Root!
6. Download file in the OP and unzip.
7. Run Droid4Windows.bat (as administrator for Win7 users)
8. Choose option 1, root. Let the program do its thing. The phone will reboot twice before it is done.
9. After the second reboot check for Superuser in the apps drawer on the phone. You are now rooted if Superuser is there.

Installing Safestrap
10. On the computer screen press enter to go back to the menu and select option 4 to install safestrap v1.09.
11. Let the phone do its thing again. When done the screen will say "Open the app and follow instructions to finish installation." At this point you are done with the computer, unplug your phone.
12. Find the Safestrap app in the app drawer on the phone and run it. Press the option to install. When completed I got an error, but the app was installed correctly. I'm not sure what the error was about. I clicked on the app again after the error and the app said it was installed.
13. Restart the phone. The splash screen will say something about pressing Menu to enter Safestrap. Do it. (You can read the Safestrap post for the complete instructions)
14. Navigate through the options using the volume control and power button as the selection button. Find the option and backup your phone.
15. Reboot phone after backup.

Done.

Thanks to the OP and everyone else involved for providing such an easy way to root. Looking forward to more!

OP
skylarmb

skylarmb

Reaction score
Confirming this works and works well, took me about 5 minutes plus another few minutes to create a backup. Here is a step by step on what must be done for anyone who has never done this before. I did mine on WinXP, pretty much the same on Win7 with the same driver as linked below. Thanks OP!

Thanks to the OP and everyone else involved for providing such an easy way to root. Looking forward to more!

Thank you for taking the time to type out all the instructions for new users!

Mac an linux users should be able to follow most of these steps except you dont the drivers mentioned in step 4

Much appreciated standard101 !!! :biggrin:

vmu

Reaction score
Thank you both, it worked like a charm. Rooted and safestrapped.

baditup

Reaction score
This works beautifully! Just got my new one rooted/SS'd np. Now about the OTHER options in the rooting app... well, ONE in particular: What's SYSTEM PULL do? :blink:

OP
skylarmb

skylarmb

Reaction score
This works beautifully! Just got my new one rooted/SS'd np. Now about the OTHER options in the rooting app... well, ONE in particular: What's SYSTEM PULL do? :blink:

System Pull does exactly what it sounds like. In the case that you or someone else has a factory/engineering model phone with an unlocked bootloader, it just makes it easy to make a complete copy of all system files so the devs can see whats going on :biggrin:

Zalan

Reaction score
Seriously awesome guys! Just got my new D4 to replace my D2, and having done most things imaginable to my poor old D2, this was the first place I came :) Mad props for the directions and dev's.

reichbc

Reaction score
Droid4mac reports ADB as permission denied.

Code:
[*] Waiting for device...
Droid4mac: line 108: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 109: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 110: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Device found.
[*] Deploying payload...
Droid4mac: line 114: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 115: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Owning phone...
Droid4mac: line 118: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 121: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
Droid4mac: line 124: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 125: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Root successful! Persisting...
Droid4mac: line 129: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 130: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 131: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 132: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 133: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 134: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 135: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Cleaning up...
Droid4mac: line 138: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 139: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Rebooting...
Droid4mac: line 142: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 143: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 144: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Root complete!
Droid4mac: line 147: ./files/adb: Permission denied

bgarlock

Reaction score
Just picked up a DROID4 yesterday, and ran this utility to root it. Just a FYI: I had to change permissions (I'm using a Mac). Basically, I su'ed to root, and did the following (in the root of the directory where these files were extracted)

'chown -R root *'
'chmod -R 664 *'

(without the ' ' of course)

After I made those changes, the utility rooted my phone after a couple of restarts. I was getting all sorts of permission errors before I made those changes)

bgarlock

Reaction score
Droid4mac reports ADB as permission denied.

Code:
[*] Waiting for device...
Droid4mac: line 108: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 109: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 110: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Device found.
[*] Deploying payload...
Droid4mac: line 114: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 115: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Owning phone...
Droid4mac: line 118: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 121: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
Droid4mac: line 124: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 125: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Root successful! Persisting...
Droid4mac: line 129: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 130: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 131: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 132: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 133: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 134: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 135: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Cleaning up...
Droid4mac: line 138: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 139: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Rebooting...
Droid4mac: line 142: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 143: ./files/adb: Permission denied
Droid4mac: line 144: ./files/adb: Permission denied
[*] Root complete!
Droid4mac: line 147: ./files/adb: Permission denied

See my post above about having to change permissions on the script files, before you run it. I was getting the *exact* same permission denied, and once I made the changes, I had root after a couple of restarts :)

pintocat

Reaction score
Just picked up a DROID4 yesterday, and ran this utility to root it. Just a FYI: I had to change permissions (I'm using a Mac). Basically, I su'ed to root, and did the following (in the root of the directory where these files were extracted) 'chown -R root *' 'chmod -R 664 *' (without the ' ' of course) After I made those changes, the utility rooted my phone after a couple of restarts. I was getting all sorts of permission errors before I made those changes)
Could you dumb this down for me? How do you get to su root

bgarlock

Reaction score
Could you dumb this down for me? How do you get to su root

Sure - Follow the steps in the OP (Original Post) and where it gets to the step where you change into the directory where you extracted the files (
cd /home/skylar/Desktop/Droid4UtilityLinux/) Stop.

Then, enter the following:

Code:
chown -R root *
chmod -R 774 *

That should make all the files have root as the owner, and allow read/write/execute on them. Then, continue the instructions, where they left off, which is before typing 'bash Droid4Mac'

Disclaimer: **MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE BASE FOLDER OF THE EXTRACTED FILES!!** failing to do so could screw up the permissions on your Mac!! The CAPITAL R switch is so that ALL permissions recursively will be changed!!

For example, my username is 'bruceg' on my Mac, so do the following to verify you are in the correct folder:

Code:
[/COLOR][/LEFT]sh-3.2# pwd
/Users/bruceg/Desktop/Droid4Mac0.4
sh-3.2# ls -la
total 48
drwx------@  6 bruceg  html     204 May 14 08:43 .
drwx------+ 60 bruceg  staff   2040 May 14 08:43 ..
-rw-------@  1 bruceg  html   13771 Mar  2 16:24 Droid4Mac
-rw-------@  1 bruceg  html     316 Feb 17 23:33 OVERCLOCK INSTRUCTIONS
-rw-------@  1 bruceg  html     597 Feb 17 23:08 README IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE DOING
drwx------@ 18 bruceg  html     612 May 14 08:43 files
sh-3.2#

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, I highly suggest an image of your Mac before doing anything, so you have something to fall back on, if you mess something up. Google 'Carbon Copy Cloner' which is a great clone utility for the Mac.