Droid 4 Specs?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by MikeNerd1994, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
    So if that was the only part that mentioned the battery being removable/replaceable or not... how can you conclude that the battery is a standard removable battery? He only claims that "you can replace it yourself" and that claim was based on the fact that a key comes with the device to remove the back cover... Back to my original analogy: Does my droid 1 have a "removable screen" because I was able to "replaced the screen myself"? I would contend that it does not. Once could replace the battery on every single device on the market given the correct tools and know how.

2. Trusstopher

Trusstopher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I'm sorry if you misunderstood the point I was trying to convey by saying that: It doesn't matter what else the article says because the part of it you quoted is not sufficient enough to support your position and it being the only part you chose to quote demonstrates that the rest of the article is irrelevant.

3. SLAYER6669

SLAYER6669 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    He just confirmed that earlier today (about a minute after you posted that) that its not removeable.
    Motorola Droid 4 "Maserati" Pre-Release Thread - Page 21

#39 SLAYER6669, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. Htown315

Htown315 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    My guess is if a tool is required then its most likely not meant to be swapped daily. Just my 2cents.

5. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Makes sense to me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

6. TC_Mits

TC_Mits Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Posted elsewhere:

OK. I think I'm starting to be able to piece together this battery puzzle. True polymer batteries are super, except they have to stay really hot to work well. The D4 will use a foil pouch Lithium-hybrid polymer design. As such it has no significant performance advantage over regular Lithium ion batteries. What makes it useful in a handheld device is that it can be made really skinny. Since the hybrid battery is soft, you can break it. That's one reason to lock it away. Another reason is that polymer hybrid Li-ion batteries are more prone to gassing, so Motorola may have felt that double covers would better resist its ballooning tendencies. However, nobody wants a battery you can't replace yourself, especially since Lithium batteries are known to start to degrade after a year or so, even if not in use. So we get a key and instructions on how to - carefully! - install a new battery when the original gets too weak. That new battery may be expensive since it's a new technology in low production.
    Essentially, this is all being done just to make the phone a tad skinnier. There is no other performance benefit to the user. And you lose the ability to "just pull the battery" to reset the phone when it freezes or you're stuck trying to root it.
    This is mostly supposition but it is consistent with what we do know.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )

#42 TC_Mits, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wtf this makes me real mad I just got the Droid 3 global today.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums