Droid 4 Specs?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Ok, note that the source of the article on Android Community comes from Droid Life; if you click on the link to the source (Droid Life), you can see Droid Life reporting that it had a non-removable battery. You can check for sites reporting about the Droid 4 all over the internet that have pics of the Droid 4 and all of them will point to Droid Life as the source and report a non-removable battery. Android Community only gets information from reputable websites and spins it off their way; I wouldn't trust them without cross-referencing their information with more reputable websites. I'd wager that they have no insider information whatsoever other than what they see on other websites hence their always having a source (another website). They obviously erred claiming that the Droid 4 has a removable battery when the link the the source of the information (Droid Life) says that it does. Anyway, they didn't report any hands-on time with the device thus they were pretty much talking out of their anus.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Actually Droid Life didn't have information either. The link you provided in an above post it was written by the aurthor of the article, not some Verizon or Mortorolla source. The writer assumed the battery wouldn't be removeable.

So I guess we'll just have to wait ane see until there is some actual quote from a true source.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Without going into your link and reading into the context of your quote or how they put it, I will say that I'm pretty sure you can replace the even Razr battery yourself as well (even thought it is a "non-removable battery").... it just isn't made for the average consumer to be able to do so. I replaced the screen on my D1 myself when it stopped working, that doesn't mean that the D1 has a "removable screen."

RE: the part I bolded, underlined and italized.... That's funny! Thanks for the laugh. :D

I'm going to have to remember that... can I quote you in my signature???

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
RE: the part I bolded, underlined and italized.... That's funny! Thanks for the laugh. :D

I'm going to have to remember that... can I quote you in my signature???

Whether or not I read your article doesn't change the fact that "you can replace it yourself" does not equal "it is a removable battery." If there was a more significant part of the article that said specifically that it could be removed à la the D1 or Nexus, then you should have quoted that part, otherwise, what was the point of quoting anything from the article?

akhi216

Reaction score
Actually Droid Life didn't have information either. The link you provided in an above post it was written by the aurthor of the article, not some Verizon or Mortorolla source. The writer assumed the battery wouldn't be removeable.

So I guess we'll just have to wait ane see until there is some actual quote from a true source.

You will wait and see on your own without me. Regardless of the Droid Life and Android Central links, the link to Howard Forums has a guy (fone sex) who actually played with the device. If you want to believe Android Community over Droid Life, Android Central, and a guy who actually played with the device, you will have to travel down that road on your own.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Look at the last bit of this article on Droid Life:

Official DROID 4 Specs, It’s Definitely a Big RAZR With a Keyboard and 4G LTE – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

...don't tell me that you don't consider Droid Life a reliable source. Droid Life has been on point with information in the past. I don't see why they would change now.

Look at the list of specs on this article at Android Central:

Motorola Droid 4 surfaces ... wait, already? | Android Central

...Android Central has this article based on one from Droid Life. They have been on point with information in the past. I don't see why they would change now.

A guy on this thread had hands on experience with the Droid 4. He spake on the coming of the Droid 4, speculated that it would be here by the end of the year, and said that it will in fact have a non-removable battery numerous times in this thread before anyone said anything about the Maserati (as it was called) or had pictures of it:

Motorola Droid 4 "Maserati" Pre-Release Thread

...notice that the thread started in September and one had pics or mentioned the Droid 4 until October. The guy has been on point with information in the past, I don't see why he would stop now.

Whether or not I read your article doesn't change the fact that "you can replace it yourself" does not equal "it is a removable battery." If there was a more significant part of the article that said specifically that it could be removed à la the D1 or Nexus, then you should have quoted that part, otherwise, what was the point of quoting anything from the article?

Please go read the article before you sound more inacurrate. That was the only part he said anything about.

And yes not reading an article does not make you an expert. Or do you have the D4 in your hands right now and removed or replaced the battery?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
You will wait and see on your own without me. Regardless of the Droid Life and Android Central links, the link to Howard Forums has a guy (fone sex) who actually played with the device. If you want to believe Android Community over Droid Life, Android Central, and a guy who actually played with the device, you will have to travel down that road on your own.

Please provide the link where the guy (fone sex) said that he did not remove the battery because he could not. I did not see it in there, perhaps I missed it or I can be like Trusstopher "Without going into your link and reading into the context of your quote or how they put it," I'll just say that you still have no proof it's not a removeable/replaceable battery.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please go read the article before you sound more inacurrate. That was the only part he said anything about.

And yes not reading an article does not make you an expert. Or do you have the D4 in your hands right now and removed or replaced the battery?

So if that was the only part that mentioned the battery being removable/replaceable or not... how can you conclude that the battery is a standard removable battery? He only claims that "you can replace it yourself" and that claim was based on the fact that a key comes with the device to remove the back cover... Back to my original analogy: Does my droid 1 have a "removable screen" because I was able to "replaced the screen myself"? I would contend that it does not. Once could replace the battery on every single device on the market given the correct tools and know how.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please provide the link where the guy (fone sex) said that he did not remove the battery because he could not. I did not see it in there, perhaps I missed it or I can be like Trusstopher "Without going into your link and reading into the context of your quote or how they put it," I'll just say that you still have no proof it's not a removeable/replaceable battery.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood the point I was trying to convey by saying that: It doesn't matter what else the article says because the part of it you quoted is not sufficient enough to support your position and it being the only part you chose to quote demonstrates that the rest of the article is irrelevant.

SLAYER6669

Reaction score

He just confirmed that earlier today (about a minute after you posted that) that its not removeable.
Motorola Droid 4 "Maserati" Pre-Release Thread - Page 21

Last edited:

Htown315

Reaction score
My guess is if a tool is required then its most likely not meant to be swapped daily. Just my 2cents.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
My guess is if a tool is required then its most likely not meant to be swapped daily. Just my 2cents.

Posted elsewhere:

OK. I think I'm starting to be able to piece together this battery puzzle. True polymer batteries are super, except they have to stay really hot to work well. The D4 will use a foil pouch Lithium-hybrid polymer design. As such it has no significant performance advantage over regular Lithium ion batteries. What makes it useful in a handheld device is that it can be made really skinny. Since the hybrid battery is soft, you can break it. That's one reason to lock it away. Another reason is that polymer hybrid Li-ion batteries are more prone to gassing, so Motorola may have felt that double covers would better resist its ballooning tendencies. However, nobody wants a battery you can't replace yourself, especially since Lithium batteries are known to start to degrade after a year or so, even if not in use. So we get a key and instructions on how to - carefully! - install a new battery when the original gets too weak. That new battery may be expensive since it's a new technology in low production.
Essentially, this is all being done just to make the phone a tad skinnier. There is no other performance benefit to the user. And you lose the ability to "just pull the battery" to reset the phone when it freezes or you're stuck trying to root it.
This is mostly supposition but it is consistent with what we do know.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited: