Droid 4 on Cricket $45 plan - Data & MMS

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Greetings fellow droidforumians :blink:... anyway I recently flashed my Droid 4 to cricket but decided to stay on the $45 plan that I used with my flashed Droid 1. Talk & Text work normally but data & mms are a different story. 3G data works through the browser but getting it to connect to google's servers where it makes the 3G icon change from white to blue is more temperamental. I've gotten 3G to fully connect and stay that way for a long time but whenever I make/receive a call or switch to wifi and then switch back to 3G sometimes it refuses to connect. I tried changing the name-servers but after a reboot the phone automatically restores the old ones. I don't know if my issue is APNs related or if there's another setting I should look for. Also, regarding MMS I can send MMS just fine but when I receive them it shows a download button but fails to actually download the picture.

Any suggestions on APNs or other settings that I might try would be great. BTW I'm using u2nl and iptables to attempt to port crickets ip 10.133.26.12 port 8080 to 127.0.0.1 port 1025 which worked on my Droid 1.

The absolute last resort is for me to switch to the $55 plan but I'm stuborn and if I can get 3G working consistantly on the $45 plan and save that extra $10 every month that would be awesome!

Last edited:
OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay, I think I've found another solution to my 3G issues. I was using the old-school method of autostart.sh and u2nl which wasn't working so I decided to try an app that I already use on my asus tablet for network routing; called ProxyDroid. It's a free, open-source app with a ton of options including automatically starting when triggered by a network change. Gotta love that broadcast receiver! Anyway, I'm using ProxyDroid to redirect traffic the way u2nl is supposed to and thus far it's working great even through phone calls, switching between wifi and 3g, and rebooting the phone.

MMS only seems to work when it really wants to which is almost always never. :( Any ideas what cricket puts on a phone that they flash themselves? I don't want to spend $75 or whatever they charge just to get MMS working. My niece got her phone flashed by cricket and everything works but she's also on the $55 plan. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've tried so many APNs combinations it's insane but I'm not sure if that's all that is needed to make MMS work.

Last edited:
OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay, so here are my current APNs settings and my MMS seems to be working ~99% with these settings, though I'm not holding out too much hope here as just about the time I think I've got it figured it stops working again :disappointed:

Anyway... here we go:
Code:
• Name: Cricket   [I]<this probably has no bearing whatsoever>
• [/I]APN:   wap.mycricket.com   
• Proxy:  <not set>
• Port:    <not set>
• Username:  *   [I]<yes, just a single asterisk>
[/I]• Password:  *
• Server:      *
• MMSC:       [URL]http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms[/URL]
• MMS proxy: <not set>
• MMS port:   <not set>
• Authentication type:  None
• APN type:  <not set>
• APN protocal:  IPv4

As far as the internet is concerned it doesn't seem to matter what settings I have in the APNs but as far as MMS is concerned APNs play a major role. The other thing to check is the True IMSI, if that's set wrong MMS probably won't work. I still occasionally get the error "the image file ... was deleted" but its no where near as often as it used to be and I've been able to successfully send and receive files larger than 900KB.

Last edited:

WickedWayz

Reaction score
Just saw this thread Xsylus. Are these settings in APN's still working for you???

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just saw this thread Xsylus. Are these settings in APN's still working for you???

They work great when 3G is on but I have less luck with mms when connected to WiFi. I still don't know all the settings that contribute to making the mms work flawlessly.

Danis

Reaction score
Okay, so here are my current APNs settings and my MMS seems to be working ~99% with these settings, though I'm not holding out too much hope here as just about the time I think I've got it figured it stops working again :disappointed:

Anyway... here we go:
Code:
• Name: Cricket   [I]<this probably has no bearing whatsoever>
• [/I]APN:   wap.mycricket.com   
• Proxy:  <not set>
• Port:    <not set>
• Username:  *   [I]<yes, just a single asterisk>
[/I]• Password:  *
• Server:      *
• MMSC:       [URL]http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms[/URL]
• MMS proxy: <not set>
• MMS port:   <not set>
• Authentication type:  None
• APN type:  <not set>
• APN protocal:  IPv4

As far as the internet is concerned it doesn't seem to matter what settings I have in the APNs but as far as MMS is concerned APNs play a major role. The other thing to check is the True IMSI, if that's set wrong MMS probably won't work. I still occasionally get the error "the image file ... was deleted" but its no where near as often as it used to be and I've been able to successfully send and receive files larger than 900KB.

I don't know anything about cricket, but I think your apn settings are very wrong.

Look at this page: http://nxwiki.blogspot.ca/2012/01/cricket-apn-settings-android-iphone-evo.html?m=1

It mentions using a different username and password, setting the authentication you're and a whole bunch of other things that at quick glance just looked different than your config.

Sent from my XT894 running ICS

OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't know anything about cricket, but I think your apn settings are very wrong.

Look at this page: How to: Cricket APN Settings Android iPhone EVO Droid Blackberry | MMS WAP 3G Settings

It mentions using a different username and password, setting the authentication you're and a whole bunch of other things that at quick glance just looked different than your config.

Sent from my XT894 running ICS

Yea, I've tried a whole plethora of APN settings combinations but it seems that APN settings are just a piece of the puzzle. Furthermore on my Droid 4 running ICS setting the MCC to 310 and MNC to 004 will cause the phone to hide the APN which might be making it useless. I have two APNs for cricket all the settings are identical except the MCC and MNC; I use 310/004 for one and 311/480 for the other. Verizon, or someone has made it progressively more difficult to determine the absolute settings. I've had MMS work with nothing but the mmsc set to http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms - all other settings were left blank or default and MMS worked. Some people point to the build.prop and apns-conf.xml files. In the end, so far, there seems to be no 100% tried & true method for ensuring working MMS.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yea, I've tried a whole plethora of APN settings combinations but it seems that APN settings are just a piece of the puzzle. Furthermore on my Droid 4 running ICS setting the MCC to 310 and MNC to 004 will cause the phone to hide the APN which might be making it useless. I have two APNs for cricket all the settings are identical except the MCC and MNC; I use 310/004 for one and 311/480 for the other. Verizon, or someone has made it progressively more difficult to determine the absolute settings. I've had MMS work with nothing but the mmsc set to http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms - all other settings were left blank or default and MMS worked. Some people point to the build.prop and apns-conf.xml files. In the end, so far, there seems to be no 100% tried & true method for ensuring working MMS.
look at this
ICS MMS APNS for Droid X Cricket???

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As of right now the settings that used to allow me to send and receive are now only allowing me to receive. This is my issue, a setting that works perfectly one day doesn't work the next day. There's no way to efficiently test MMS if it is that temperamental. Further more, time and time again I see others saying the MCC should be set to 310 and the MNC set to either 004 or 016. On my Droid 4 running ICS those settings WILL NOT WORK because the phone hides them from the APN list. It ONLY accepts 311/480.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
As of right now the settings that used to allow me to send and receive are now only allowing me to receive. This is my issue, a setting that works perfectly one day doesn't work the next day. There's no way to efficiently test MMS if it is that temperamental. Further more, time and time again I see others saying the MCC should be set to 310 and the MNC set to either 004 or 016. On my Droid 4 running ICS those settings WILL NOT WORK because the phone hides them from the APN list. It ONLY accepts 311/480.
add your phone # to your username ie [email protected]
and try that mms.apk its modified 4 cricket...
or try my gsm patch's build.prop
or delete /data/eri.xml then reboot.

Last edited:
OP
xsylus

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So what I did was download the zip file and just extract the auto-conf.xml, made a backup of the original and replaced it with the one from the zip. Rebooted so it would take effect than added my MDN to the user name and changed the MCC to 311 and the MNC to 480. Thus far it's working again! Also under the programming menu for MMS I changed the file size limit from 1228800 to 1024800 because the text message apps auto compress/resize the photos taken with the phone camera to that specified size and while that setting was on 1228800 it wouldn't send my photos but after decreasing that to 1024800 it sent just fine. Hopefully this will continue to work but like I say I've tried so many configurations and had them work one day and stop working the next.

One other thing I wanted to mention. MMS works great when I'm connected via 3G but fails to send when I'm connected via WiFi. I can still receive while connected to WiFi though.

Another thing I find kind of interesting about ICS is that with GB I needed to force my data through a proxy since I'm on the 45 plan but right now my data is working fine without any forced proxy settings :blink:

Last edited:

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
So what I did was download the zip file and just extract the auto-conf.xml, made a backup of the original and replaced it with the one from the zip. Rebooted so it would take effect than added my MDN to the user name and changed the MCC to 311 and the MNC to 480. Thus far it's working again! Also under the programming menu for MMS I changed the file size limit from 1228800 to 1024800 because the text message apps auto compress/resize the photos taken with the phone camera to that specified size and while that setting was on 1228800 it wouldn't send my photos but after decreasing that to 1024800 it sent just fine. Hopefully this will continue to work but like I say I've tried so many configurations and had them work one day and stop working the next.

One other thing I wanted to mention. MMS works great when I'm connected via 3G but fails to send when I'm connected via WiFi. I can still receive while connected to WiFi though.

Another thing I find kind of interesting about ICS is that with GB I needed to force my data through a proxy since I'm on the 45 plan but right now my data is working fine without any forced proxy settings :blink:
the apn from that patch works in russia too hahah... my buddy over there olegfusion has been working hard on that file for me. ive battled cricket b4 so i know whats up... bty if you go to flagstaff it may be iffy... idk my friend had to drive down to phx to activate his zio.